New to me 2000 KDX220

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Gundy

New to me 2000 KDX220

Post by Gundy »

Just wanted to say hey! A few weeks ago I picked up a KDX220 and entered an enduro for the first time in a few years. The bike has the lid removed and a torque pipe, and I believe is running and extra tooth in the rear. It's a tractor in the woods! Love the motor! I do need to get the suspension figured out, especially the fork. The rocky trails were just too punishing, but if I backed off compression I would lose control on the faster sections.

At any rate, this will be a fun project. Very cool that such a solid bike can be found for cheap!
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: New to me 2000 KDX220

Post by diymirage »

welcome aboard Gundy (your didn't go to MSU did you?)

the 220 could very well be the last bike you ever need
as you mentioned the suspension is the only weakness on the KDX, mostly because it is imbalanced from the factory

one thing to consider on the 220 is the piston
it is a well documented weakness that is only present on the 220, for some reason the stock unit likes to drop its skirt

on a good day that means you need a replate, a new piston and your good to go but on a bad day that will take out the bottom end

unless you can prove that the previous owner replaced it with an aftermarket unit I would not hesitate to spend $200 for a wiseco top end kit and know the bike will be good for another 12 year or so
(and having a wiseco sticker on the rear fender does not count as proof)
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Gundy

Post by Gundy »

Thanks - nope, not an MSU guy.

The previous owner did the piston so I should be good to go for a while. I do need to do a compression test to know what I'm starting with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

Hi and welcome!

Just because previous owner said he did I would not take his word for it.....or for that matter if it was a good grade piston and not some cheap knockoff. Like DIY said for the 200 for a top end it is worth it for a piece of mind.

As for the forks your gonna hate em even when you put some time money into them. In the long run just get the proper springs for now and if your gonna harescramble you might want to upgrade the forks all together.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
Gundy

New to me 2000 KDX220

Post by Gundy »

Yeah I have one more event to ride this year and then I am going take the bike to the local race shop for a compression test. I may get them to service and respring the suspension as well depending on how the performance is this weekend. I set the sag with all my gear on and even though the spring length was within the manual guidelines, there was virtually no static sag. The fork was pretty disappointing in the rocks, but hopefully some fresh oil and the right springs will help.

My whole goal with this bike was to get reconnected into the enduro scene, and then upgrade to a KTM if I am actually finding time to ride, so I don't want to put much more money into it just yet (although some how I already have spent $300 getting it set up for my needs).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nwrider45

Post by nwrider45 »

Similar situation -- recently picked up a 2004 KDX 220r from the original owner. Haven't even ridden it other than in a parking lot just before buying. I'm in the process of going through the bearings in the swingarm and linkage + just received .42 Kg fork springs and a 5.4 Kg rear shock spring. I'm having to wait on the swingarm bushings though, which are no longer avaiable from Kawasaki. My last 2 stroke was 1972 -1974 with a Kawasaki F-9 Big Horn rotary valve 350cc single motor mounted in a 1968 Greeves Challenger frame. Boy have things changed!
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

nwrider45 wrote: I'm having to wait on the swingarm bushings though, which are no longer avaiable from Kawasaki.
Have you tried RonAyers? It looks like they are showing those as available.
nwrider45

Post by nwrider45 »

Unfortunately, unless they actually have the bushings on the self, they're not available except on the aftermarket. I've ordered a kit -- but Speed Supplies, who claim to have next day shipping have not yet done so in over a week. Customer Service is just a recording with no way to leave a message --- I'm not holding my breath that they'll follow through. In the meantime, all the new bearings and seals are greased and in place just waiting for the bushings. :cry:
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

I have found parts on their site that are discontinued and it shows up differently than parts that are available. Those look like they are still available.

I would give them a try, you don't have much to loose.