New KDX Owner

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
wvsp612

New KDX Owner

Post by wvsp612 »

Guys I am new to this forum. I just bought a 2003 KDX 200 which was so close to new it still had the nubs on the tires for $2100. I had been out of the dirt world for about 15 years. I am impressed with the bike. A friend of mine got me back into riding. He also has a KDX 200. Anyhow, I took the bike on a two day dual sport ride in Ohio about a month ago. The bike is stone stock except for handguards and different bars. First day of riding went well, but on the second, the bike fouled two plugs. Is the stock jetting that rich normally, or could it be something else? I am going to be installing a gnarly pipe and TC2 this winter and will rejet for that and see how it goes in the spring. I am in Indianapolis, elevation is about 500-1000ft. Elevation in the ohio ride was not much different. BTW, great site you have here.
Cody
2003 KDX 200
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the group! :supz:

You may want to check the jets in your carburetor, then compare them to the parts diagram on http://www.buykawasaki.com. The best way to know which jets are in the carburetor is to open it up and check it out. That may sound dumb at first, but thinking it has the stock jets and reading them off a list is not as good as seeing the numbers with your own eyes. I THOUGHT the main jet on a used KDX I bought was stock, but once I finally opened up the carburetor to check it out, I found that the main jet was 4 sizes larger than stock.

Again, welcome to the group. I think you will find a relaxed atmosphere and even some people who know a good bit about the KDX and can help out on some questions.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

A big, friendly welcome and a G'day from Oz.....

Jason is right about checking whats in there NOW. I have just finished fixing a KDX that had the totally wrong main jet altogether, so it is best to check for certain. If they are stock jets, then yes it will most likely be very rich. When you get the new pipe that will lean it out a fraction but I would recommend drilling some holes in your airbox lid or tossing it altogether. If you need more info just ask, we are all more than happy to help in any way we can. :partyman: :partyman:
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Welcome! Pull up a chair and start reading, you'll find all the answers to making your bike run like a champ! :partyman: :supz:
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Welcome!
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Welcome Cody is it?

You may want to pull your carb and check the pilot and main jets to determine sizes. A good starting point for your bike will be a 155 main and a 48 or 45 pilot. Needle jet in the middle position and jet from there. The 1174 needle works pretty well on a stock or mildly modified H model KDX 200.

Get to know your bike as well as you can and you will start to know what needs adjusted and when. The colder it gets the higher up in jetting it may need. If you have any questions at all ... post them in the Q&A section and we will help you out.

Indawoods :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

About the air box lid, TOSS IT and put on a pair of pantyhose.It works as a pre-filter, allows great air flow and keeps the filter a hellavalot cleaner for longer.
Yes Trev, there my panty hose :oops:
Welcome aboard matie-Jack
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

The monkey says, "Hi!!"
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Welcome onboard!

If you like the bike now...wait until you get to fixing it!!

Kidding, sort of. There is a lot locked up inside your little green machine!!

Enjoy it..and welcome 'back' to riding!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!