2 KDXs in New England

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
ChrisHolder

2 KDXs in New England

Post by ChrisHolder »

Hi everybody. My names Chris and I'm from eastern CT. I'm 26 and have been riding dirtbikes for a good while now. First let me give a little more info about myself before I get into why I am here. My dad started me and my older brother out on Honda xr100s back when we were about 8 and 9. We beat the piss out of those bikes learning how to ride. Then in 2003 we traded in the Hondas for 2 brand new Kawi KDX 200s. Awesome bikes and a big step up from the Hondas. I remember not liking the Kawi at first since I could barely touch my feet to the ground when on it! We've been riding those KDXs in the trails pretty hard for the past 11 years now!
Eventually in 2008 I bought myself a brand new Yamaha WR250x, and thats my primary bike now. I ride it to work and around some of the more mellow trails in my area (yes on supermoto tires). Still we kept the KDXs for the heavy trails which me and my brother still get together to ride. Up until last month. We went for a ride one weekend me on the supermoto, my brother on his KDX and our cousin I let ride my KDX. After the ride I brought my bike home and put it in the garage, but apparently my brother and cousin left the Kawis at the top of my parents driveway behind the shed. Big mistake. Later that week I was meeting up with a few of my riding buddies who all have dual sport bikes. Since we were gonna do some trail riding I wanted to stop by my parents house to pick up my KDX. I go to our shed where the bikes are normally kept and theyre gone. The bikes were stolen.
Since I live on an indian reservation its a pretty small community. I ask around and spread the word as much as I could until eventually I hear from one of my neighbors that another neighbor had seen a few darked skin kids on 2 stroke bikes, no helmets flying down the street. I go into the woods and search the area that my neighbor claimed to see the bikes go in. I'm starting to write much more than I anticipated, so let me just get to the point, I found both bikes. Both with straight gas in the tanks and spray painted black. I drained the gas from both tanks and put in freshly mixed gas. My brothers fired right up although very smokey and rattely. I can tell the bikes low on compression. These bikes never had 1 issue since being new in 2003. Now this. My bike has zero compression as the piston is in pieces.
What sucks is I've done some investigating and I'm 99% sure on who the thiefs are, yet since the bikes were found in the woods and not at their residence the cops are saying there is nothing that is linking them to the crime and no justice will be served unless I have solid evidence.
Bottom line is if I could prove who took the bikes I could press charges and hopefully have them pay to fix them. Since its not working out that way I'm gonna have to fix the bikes myself and possibly serve my own justice. That brings me here. Hopefully this forum is as good a resource as I hope it to be. I can turn wrenches but usually its on old VWs and Audis. Never have I dug my hands into a dirtbike. I apologize for the long winded introduction but thats my story. I look forward to getting these bikes fixed in hopefully better condition than before.
ChrisHolder

Re: 2 KDXs in New England

Post by ChrisHolder »

Now that I've made my introduction I have several questions and I just want to make sure I'm following the correct format. I'd like to keep all my information consolidated to one thread, so first question is... Is this the spot to do it? I noticed theres more specific sub categories so for now I'll do all my posting here, under the intro thread.
My KDX needs a motor. The piston is in pieces and I believe it also ate the crank up. It seems to me that it would be more cost effective to find a used KDX engine, possibly a 220 if it fits? What would you do in my situation? Or would I be better off finding a new rotating assembly and going with an aftermarket oversized piston? Can anybody point me in the right direction here?
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

Hey CH, sorry to hear about your troubles, but stolen bikes here in NE is getting real bad. I would first pull the motors apart and see what the damage is before getting a new motor. Just getting a new motor does not mean it will not need any work. There are a few shops in eastern CT that can rebuild the crank for you. HTH, keep us posted. I am sure there are more informed people on here than me. Oh, and if you go with a 220 motor, it is not going to have the rev that the 200 has, it is more torque, or so I am told.
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

easy fix if they are in the system some how and fingerprinted. Had a buddy with a similar situation. It was dumped in a field tho and also spray painted but white rofl. Anyway he knew the guy who did it and well the bike ran out of gas and was ok but........the officer was pretty smart. He went to the mans house and said they have fingerprints in the paint and its just a matter of time.....would he like to talk or have something to say. He spilled the beans and admitted to the cop. No prints whatsoever but it might give you a chance if they are kids and get scared and think they are going to jail. Might just work for you too that way.

Sounds like they ran em with straight gas. <another thought since a small reservation there probably is just a few gas stations. You might get an eye witness seeing them purchase gas or even putting gas into the bikes.

Get that neighbor who seen em and have them file a report the officer can go off of a suspicion and start to ask questions. If they start getting attention to them they will crack.

Sorry about your loss and welcome to the site.

General kdx would be your best category.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.