nOOb from West Michigan

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Keviness

nOOb from West Michigan

Post by Keviness »

What's up folks?!? I thought I would join up and say "Hey". I am currently in process of rebuilding my neglected '91 200 and figured a forum would probably be helpful. I may be a nOOb to this forum, but I've been a member of a truck forum for years and found it extremely fun and helpful. I guess I can blame them for all the money spent on my rig? So many members have posted tips, tricks, awesome combos, etc. that I figured a KDX forum would be no different! :cool:

I've had my KDX for...ohh....8? years or so? I don't really remember what year it was when I bought it, or how old I was. Its been a while at least. I rode the crap out of the bike for years up in Northern lower Michigan (Traverse City, White Cloud, Silver Lake, etc. etc.) and never had any major issues. The bike got neglected when I headed off to college, and even for the past few years since I have graduated. A few years ago my family bought some some acerage outside Traverse City, right in the heart of all the motorcycle, ATV, and sled trails and we have gotten back into riding quite a bit. So much so that my dad just purchased a 2014 Yamaha TW200, which as an aside is a sweet ride! So I decided its about time to get mine up and running again.

I have a pretty good list of stuff that needs to be done, I'll probably just start a build/mod thread soon. I'm going to end up tearing the motor apart and splitting the case. I need to replace the shift shaft - the PO stripped the splines off a bit, I managed to nurse it for years with a new shifter, but it finally let go (which was one of there reasons I stopped riding it much). I figure if I'm going to split the case I might as well do the top end, check the cylinder walls and repair as necessary, new piston + rings, bearings, etc. After doing some reading here I'll probably send the head and carb out to Fredette or RBD to be worked :grin: I have a RAD valve ready to go for it, I'll also pick up a pipe but I'm undecided on an FMF or the DG. And of course it needs the standard wear items like chain, sprockets, etc.

TL:DR - Kevin from West Michigan saying Hi, hope to find some good tips and tricks!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: nOOb from West Michigan

Post by Julien D »

Hey, Kevin, welcome to KDXRIDER! Best of luck with your rebuild, we're here to help!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

nOOb from West Michigan

Post by scheckaet »

be sure to check the nOOb thread in my sig :wink:
Keviness

Post by Keviness »

Julien D wrote:Hey, Kevin, welcome to KDXRIDER! Best of luck with your rebuild, we're here to help!
Thanks for the welcome!
Keviness

nOOb from West Michigan

Post by Keviness »

scheckaet wrote:be sure to check the nOOb thread in my sig :wink:
Already looked through that, thanks! I did a bit of browsing before I joined up :)
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

mhhh, cherries

ill be sure to stop by if I ever make it up there
I ride cedar creek a lot (closest one too me)
let me know if you ever want to put around there
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Keviness

Post by Keviness »

diymirage wrote:mhhh, cherries

ill be sure to stop by if I ever make it up there
I ride cedar creek a lot (closest one too me)
let me know if you ever want to put around there
I live in Holland. TC is vacation land for us! Where are you out of?
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

if you ever noticed someone popping wheelies through our hometown changes are it was me, I live just passed the wally world :grin:

Keviness

Post by Keviness »

diymirage wrote:if you ever noticed someone popping wheelies through our hometown changes are it was me, I live just passed the wally world :grin:
Well no ****. Small world, I would have never guessed someone from Holland would be on here!
Keviness

Post by Keviness »

You know what, I came across a post that had a picture of your LED tail light, and it jogged my memory. You had one of those bikes up for sale a while ago didn't you? I remember seeing them on CL. Did you ever end up selling it?
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

nope, I think I was asking 1500 for it and no one was willing to pay that (still seems like a fair price to me)
then I made the mistake of riding the bike and it rides so well I decided to keep it as my "go to" bike when I go offroading myself so I don't damage the plated KDX should I wipe out
plus, this way I have a buddy bike incase I go riding with buddy who don't own a bike of their own

it will go up for sale shortly again because im finishing up a 220 I saved from sitting in boxes in someones garage so once that one is all back up to par I will but both of them for sale and keep whichever doesn't sell

so if you are looking to update let me know :grin:

Keviness

Post by Keviness »

diymirage wrote:nope, I think I was asking 1500 for it and no one was willing to pay that (still seems like a fair price to me)
then I made the mistake of riding the bike and it rides so well I decided to keep it as my "go to" bike when I go offroading myself so I don't damage the plated KDX should I wipe out
plus, this way I have a buddy bike incase I go riding with buddy who don't own a bike of their own

it will go up for sale shortly again because im finishing up a 220 I saved from sitting in boxes in someones garage so once that one is all back up to par I will but both of them for sale and keep whichever doesn't sell

so if you are looking to update let me know :grin:
Nice! I don't plan on needing another one right now, but I'll keep my eye out for the CL ad. Who knows what I may decide a week from now :lol: Or, realistically maybe my cousin needs a bike :)
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

once the 220 is up and running I will post of them on CL for $1500 each, or if you and your cousin want matching bikes I will sell you the pair for $2500
(no pics of the 200 but it has the same graphics, only in green)

you will have to battle out between the two of you who gets the kickstand since I only have on between those two bikes :roll:

dingerjunkie
Gold Member
Gold Member

nOOb from West Michigan

Post by dingerjunkie »

Very nice...worth way more than you'll post it for, but with the down-market of MI in winter, you'll only see asking price in about March or April.

I know I'll spend more than you're asking for the 220 on my 250 by the time I finish. Looking forward to getting it done and hitting Cedar Creek with you gents.
Theory and Practice are ALWAYS identical...theoretically...
http://www.fire-fx.net
...your theater is on...
Keviness

Post by Keviness »

Saying hello again. I posted and then fell off the map for a bit. I got so busy with work and everything else that I never did get my KDX running.

However, its currently torn apart in my garage, awaiting a new piston and rings, along with a few other items. I'm at a standstill however with the KIPS valve. My left valve is broken and as you probably all know, the part is discontinued from Kawasaki. I just called a dozen dealers, checked online, eBay, craigslist, and so forth and have yet to come up with anything. Anyone have a good source for one? I saw the steel replacement thread, but it didn't look like they were shipping yet.

Was really hoping to have this up and running for the 4th of July, so any help would be appreciated.