Arkansas

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Ibbw

Arkansas

Post by Ibbw »

Hello everyone. I was thinking about buying a 05 220r. I weigh 210#. Am I too heavy for this bike? I currently ride a rmz450. Fun on the moto track but not very suited for the woods. Thanks for any insight.

BW
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Arkansas

Post by bufftester »

Nope, I rode mine at 220# for years (now I ride it at 210# yeaa healthy eating lol). The suspension stock is geared for a 140# guy on the forks and a 180# guy on the seat so properly springing for your weight is one of the first things you should do (right after verifying that the stock 220 piston is NOT in the motor).
Ibbw

Post by Ibbw »

Ok. After I figure out the stock piston is not in there? Maybe I should just get a kdx 200? I've already scoped out USD forks and another shock. I'm a 32 year toolmaker. Mods will be easy. Cats outta the bag, I'm old.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Ibbw wrote:Ok. After I figure out the stock piston is not in there? Maybe I should just get a kdx 200? I've already scoped out USD forks and another shock. I'm a 32 year toolmaker. Mods will be easy. Cats outta the bag, I'm old.
No worries, I've already retired once and working on the second, so I guess I'm old too! lol

As for the 220 piston, the stock unit is overly prone to cracking in the skirt which leads to very ugly pictures of engines that have tried to chew on those hunks of piston. A wiseco or similar replacement is cheap piece of mind, but also a hidden cost to getting a 220.