hi guys. 1988 barn find. Back to good ole days!

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
dsmitty

hi guys. 1988 barn find. Back to good ole days!

Post by dsmitty »

Hi guys. So glad I found this site. I just got a barn find '88 (aircooled) kdx 200. I'm old school. Back in the day i had a kdx 175 (when it was 2 years old!!) and I just loved it! I came across this '88 a couple weeks ago. Been sitting in a barn for 8 years! Fresh gas, new plug and it fired right up!! ran pretty good too. Got it home to see what we were gonna have to do. LOL!!! WOW! air cleaner deteriorated. I touched it and it fell apart. GIANT mouse nest in the aircleaner box! Took the carb apart and holy Heck!!! how this thing even ran is a total wonder!! Bits and pieces of the air filter throughout the carb! Took it up to the woods and it ran pretty decent. Real "boggy" down low, Real good mid pull, but sputters right when it's readdy to wind out. I've been checking out all the posts. Powervalve, carb float level, jets, reclean carb VERY well, guitar strings and all! I'll get to the bottom of it eventually. Where should i start?!!!!! Anyhow, thanks again for the site!!!! Lots a nd lots of good stuff in here guys, thanks for any help!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: hi guys. 1988 barn find. Back to good ole days!

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on the purchase of your KDX.

You may have sucked foam chunks and nest material into the engine. :shock:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

I am assuming you cleaned the carb already. Jets are cheap and they do wear, so replace the pilot jet if it still won't run right. Don't be afraid to try a couple smaller pilot jets, it is probably too rich.

For more info, try posting in the section for E series bikes.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
dsmitty

Post by dsmitty »

Hey thanks so much guys. Will do. I got the motor tore apart last night. Gonna take some work. Looks like the worst problem is a slightly scored piston. Darn. Looks like I'll have more displacement and higher compression! I'll check out that other section. Thanks again for the info!!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

As yours is a "C" model, posting in the "E" section won't do much good. Just post in the general Q&Q or air-cooled section.

Is the cylinder plated (stock) or sleeved? (as you are talking about more displacement). A plated cylinder should not be honed, and can not be simply "overbored" without replating or a sleeve installed.

If you are not familiar with plating, allow me to be the first to welcome you to the 70's (or earlier). :lol:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128