New rider from Australia (pics)

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Worm

Post by Worm »

Hi Guys

Me and a mate recently bought a KDX each. I have a 91 model 200cc and he has a 91 model 250cc. Didn't plan on it but he bought his 250 and saw this 200 for me so I snapped it up. I was planning on buying a more expensive KTM but this sort of just appeared haha

I have never owned a 2 stroke before. Came from road bikes. First time I have owned a proper dirt bike. My other bike is a Honda CT110 with a YX140cc in it. I rode that around for a bit until i decided to get a bike with real suspension :P

KDX rides pretty nice. It has/had a sticking clutch, it would not disengage. I pulled it apart yesterday and it looked pretty good except for the clutch basket grooves. So I filed them back and put it all back together. When I went to test it the clutch cable snapped haha So I have ordered a new one and need to wait for that to arrive until I can see if I fixed the sticking clutch.

I have read heaps on fouled plugs and im curious to know if you can tell if a plug will end up fouled by the look of it

That is after about 2 hrs riding. I have no idea how new the plug is so ill assume it was new and I have only ridden on it for 2 hrs. The plus is a Dr8s i think. Def had number 8 in it. I think the manual says dr9s?
Can you tell by looking at it if it is ok.... I really dont want to stuff around with jetting until I ride it a bit more! Fingers crossed its ok.

cheers guys
kdx633
Supporting Member

Re: New rider from Australia (pics)

Post by kdx633 »

you are fine on the plug,br-8s is what most run a br9 is a bit too cold of a heat range.Once you become comfortable with the bike try jetting to conditions it will surprise you how much more power you can find
Gotanubike
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Gotanubike »

Nice looking pair of bikes!! :bravo:

KDX200(at least E series) comes mega rich from the factory...if stock jetting, you are probably running either 150 main and 48 pilot or 158 main and 48 pilot. Kawi dropped the main after 1990 I think because it was too rich. With a aftermarket pipe you can afford to go lower than that. FMF and Fredette recommend 152-158 main and 45-48 pilot but many go even lower(ex 148/42).
1990 KDX200
Bike Profile -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 61#p136315
Suspension Overhaul(Shock+89-92 conventional forks) -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15&t=15255
96'-98' RM125 Showa 49mm fork swap -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 04&t=16994
KDXrider world map! -> https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=186158
Worm

Post by Worm »

Thanks guys!

Ill stuff around with jetting after I get a few good rides. Really enjoyed riding this bike last weekend.
The bike has the air box mod (hole in top of air box). It also has a pro circuit pipe and apparently a boyesen reed. Rider before me was same size as well (light weight) so hopefully suspension is setup ok and it's jetted good so I can just ride it.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Looks like a typical plug from a stock jetted bike, they are rich from the factory. Tell your buddy to take care of his shift lever as it is just begging to be ripped off hanging down like that.

Oh, and welcome to the site!
Worm

Post by Worm »

Ha, thanks mate. I rode the kdx250 and I can't change gear as the lever is to low. I told him but he doesn't listen.
Little Jerry

Post by Little Jerry »

Hey guys, I'm the owner of the KDX 250 in the picture.

The spline looked worn on the shift lever when I inspected it after the last ride as it has progressively moved down lower each ride. Even I struggled to change gear with my slimmer boots.
Worm

Post by Worm »

You didn't tell me that LJ! Weld it on?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

DO NOT weld it on. Buy a new shifter, clamp it on like it should be!
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Worm

Post by Worm »

I don't think he can? The spline is worn out so the lever slips. Previous owner of mine said he had the same problem and needed to pull the bottom end apart and get a new shift rod made at a engineering joint.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

seen a member on here with the same problem
he just took a grinder to the shifter and cut out a little material, making the slot wider so that when you tighten the bolt it has further to go and clamps on tighter

might be a solution ?
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Worm

Post by Worm »

Great idea mate
Little Jerry

Post by Little Jerry »

Wish I had checked the forum again before pulling out the welder......

I'll readjust the shifter and see how long it stays good - I might just have to adjust it every ride or two. I ride so slow anyway I hardly need to change gears.

I wonder if all the parts are interchangeable with a KDX200... :pop:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Congratulations on you guys purchasing KDX's.

Don't weld it.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Gotanubike
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Gotanubike »

diymirage wrote:seen a member on here with the same problem
he just took a grinder to the shifter and cut out a little material, making the slot wider so that when you tighten the bolt it has further to go and clamps on tighter

might be a solution ?
Exactly what I did with mine recently. No more pinch or splines on the(aftermaket) shifter, so I took the 1/8th grinder disk straight down the open part and opens it up considerably.
1990 KDX200
Bike Profile -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 61#p136315
Suspension Overhaul(Shock+89-92 conventional forks) -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15&t=15255
96'-98' RM125 Showa 49mm fork swap -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 04&t=16994
KDXrider world map! -> https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=186158
3j3j3j

Post by 3j3j3j »

Little Jerry wrote:Wish I had checked the forum again before pulling out the welder......

I'll readjust the shifter and see how long it stays good - I might just have to adjust it every ride or two. I ride so slow anyway I hardly need to change gears.

I wonder if all the parts are interchangeable with a KDX200... :pop:
As far as I know, the parts are more similar to the 89 kx250 than to amy of the other kdx's