New Owner in SF Bay Area

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
sromero

New Owner in SF Bay Area

Post by sromero »

Just bought a 1991 KDX 200E and a 1985 KDX 80 last night. The 200 needs KIPS work, so I need service manual. Are there any available for download here? The bikes have smaller issues ill be posting about/asking for guidance as I address them. I live in Oakland , CA, but I work and store the bikes in Sonoma County. Love these bikes!!
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: New Owner in SF Bay Area

Post by diymirage »

welcome aboard

most people who buy a KDX will end up getting more but you seem to be a hurry
im sure the little guy (or girl) will love the 80 as much as you love the 200

these bikes are indestructible
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
sromero

Post by sromero »

Haha. Thanks. The 80 is for my wife to kind of learn on until our seven year daugter grows Into it. I love these two bikes!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Hey, Bud. Welcome to the forums. We DO NOT allow distribution of copyrighted materials, so don't ask and DO NOT offer to distribute.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
sromero

Post by sromero »

Thanks for welcoming me. Regarding "copyrighted materials," I would pose a few questions: Does the file enjoy copyright protection? Is it still within the protection period? Has the copyright owner served notice of any alleged infringement? Has the owner suffered any actual damages? Not a lawyer, but then again, not pretending to be.
sromero

Post by sromero »

And for those who claim it "sounds" like i am "offering something that violates copyright laws," theres been no wrongdoing here. No one should assume to know the law and what constitutes a violation thereof. "We dont condone breaking the law." This is an online forum of dirt bike riders - we ALL break the law! Be it speeding, texting and driving, riding our dirt bike on the street momentarily - we ALL break the law occassionally.
Last edited by sromero on 08:15 am Jul 13 2014, edited 2 times in total.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

sromero wrote:And for those who claim it "sounds" like i am "offering something that violates copyright laws,"
that would have been me

I wont deny speeding on occasion but there is a difference between breaking the law and inviting others to come and break it with you

I think a bigger issue right now though is if you want to be going down this road
this is a very nice forum and everyone is very friendly here
you will find all the help you will need to keep your bike running strong and enjoy it, it would be a shame to miss out on it over something as silly as copyright laws
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
sromero

Post by sromero »

Thanks for providing some perspective. Yes, I do want to belong to the forum. I wish it were a little freer, but I guess I have to take it as I find it. Ayways, thanks again for welcoming me to the group.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Because who can resist jumping in and kicking a dead horse?...lol
sromero wrote:...Regarding "copyrighted materials," I would pose a few questions: Does the file enjoy copyright protection?...
From Kawasaki's own web site (where they still sell the service manual...however, the users manual is a free download for personal use and has gobs of good info in it for general maintenance)
Copyright Notice:
Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. ("Kawasaki") is the owner of the copyrights in all pictures, text and graphics on the websites operated by Kawasaki, including the technical materials published from time to time by Kawasaki or its affiliates. This Kawasaki site provides access to certain manuals. You may access and download any manual available on this site only as required to view the manual for your individual use, maintaining all copyright and other notices in the manual. You may print a single copy of the manual for your use. The manuals and any other content on this site are not available for any other use without the express written permission of Kawasaki. Any unauthorized use of Kawasaki's copyrights is strictly prohibited by federal law. Kawasaki will object to any unauthorized uses of its copyrights and will protect its intellectual property rights to the full extent of the law."
sromero wrote:...Is it still within the protection period?...
From Title 17, U.S.C.,
"The term of copyright for a particular work depends on several factors, including whether it has been published, and, if so, the date of first publication. As a general rule, for works created after January 1, 1978, copyright protection lasts for the life of the author plus an additional 70 years. For an anonymous work, a pseudonymous work, or a work made for hire, the copyright endures for a term of 95 years from the year of its first publication or a term of 120 years from the year of its creation, whichever expires first.
Thankfully, our bikes aren't THAT old yet! :grin: Note that there is no requirement to renew a copyright either.
sromero wrote:...Has the copyright owner served notice of any alleged infringement? ...
Not required to be protected under copyright law. Just because you have not been given a cease and desist does not imply that the item in question is exempt from copyright protection, and also does not imply that you are free to share said item. And the reason our Admins are so adamant is precisely so we don't get served notice.
sromero wrote:...Has the owner suffered any actual damages? ...
Again, not required to secure protection under copyright.

The fact that there is a plethora of available sources on the internet also does not absolve one of copyright protection. And before you throw in Massachussets "Right to Repair Act", that expressly applies to automobiles in its current form. Personally, I have used cyclepedia (also a copyrighted work) which is NOT an OEM copy, but their own original work based on non-copyright information, but I prefer the OEM service manual. (just like the paper, lol)

With all that said, if you ask for directions or torque values or anything like that you will receive an answer, because in the end we just want to ride like everyone else.
sromero

Post by sromero »

Good work! The primary flaw with your response is that it proceeds on the presupposition that I was referring to a factory service manual authored by Kawasaki. That aside, I think we have settled the copyright issue.