New to me 90 KDX 200

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
RalleyTuned

New to me 90 KDX 200

Post by RalleyTuned »

Was talking **** around the campfire with my cousin and he started recalling his last ride in the area we were at on his trusty old kdx. He mentioned the last time he had rode it it climbed a tree solo haha well the end of the story was there was a brokem kdx in his garage he wanted to throw out. I couldn't let that happen of course, so a few weeks later, my other cousin dropped this off on his way over the pass. I came home from work to find this

Took all the parts out of the boxes and had this

Has fmf gnarly and turbinecore 2 exhaust, hand guards, sunstar sprockets (13/47), new ish chain, newer front tire and came without the piston installed. Cleaning up the jug and head and replacing some parts, cleaning out the KIPS and am hoping to have it trail ready in a couple weeks
Gotanubike
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

New to me 90 KDX 200

Post by Gotanubike »

I recall your story from Thumpertalk. Great score!

Does it have a pipe?
1990 KDX200
Bike Profile -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 61#p136315
Suspension Overhaul(Shock+89-92 conventional forks) -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15&t=15255
96'-98' RM125 Showa 49mm fork swap -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 04&t=16994
KDXrider world map! -> https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=186158
RalleyTuned

New to me 90 KDX 200

Post by RalleyTuned »

Yeah I started a thread there too, but then found this forum and it had a ton more kdx specific info that helped me a bunch. Also I need a lot of parts haha

Yeah mentioned exhaust in the first post, but never put it on. Needs a good cleaning and came with a nice bash guard too. Both exhaust hangers were broken though haha

Tore it down today, it needs a lot of little stuff. So far fixed:
Brake lever, got stripped screws removed from mc
removed old grips, cleaned an lubed throttle tube and cables
removed broken switch (assume its for the headlights)
Re routed and secured un used wires for lights
Fixed front brake cable routing around number plate
fixed bent foot peg that rattled a ton
Removed and cleaned KIPS, found 2 broken valves
broken bolt for kips cover
replaced clutch lever
Cleaned mating surfaces for cylinder
cleaned cylinder, kips area and piston
checked ring for wear, a little worn but useable
inspected bottom end - a little slop on rodm but not bad, appears to have some fluid in crankase, might need a crank seal
Chain and sprockets in great shape
will need wheel bearing in rear
Shock and forks in rideable shape, will change oil in forks and do oil and recharge on the shock

Going to pick up some new grips and find a headlight, and find some new exhaust valves.

Ordered a top end kit and new circlips for the wrist pin, going to check the rod tolerance and put it back together. My cousin said it was running fine before he took it apart, no idea how long the power valves where broken.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: New to me 90 KDX 200

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the forums.

Congrats on the bike, but PLEASE loosen that chain. :busted:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Congrats! That there is going to be a nice looking bike! What part of WA are you from?
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
kdxproject90

Post by kdxproject90 »

I'm liking the white/blue! Do you know what front fender you have on there?
RalleyTuned

Post by RalleyTuned »

Thanks all, starting to get enough parts together to get this thing back together. Hoping for a short trail ride in the next week or two

The whole bike was disasembled in my cousins shop, so the rear wheel was just tossed on to make it a roller, and so the chain didn't get damaged in the move. Going through the chassis this week, hopefully get the engine back together after the weekend. Photos are the same day I got the bike, looks much different right now haha

I live near cle elum, and ride mostly in this area. I plan to get the bike street legal so I can ride from home to access all the riding areas.

The front and rear fenders are from a honda cr, unsure which year. Front holes were modified to fit and the rear was drastically cut to get it on. Looks decent from a few feet away though haha. I will keep the white and blue look, I dig it. Ill probabaly add a ufo kdx headlight in white when I add the rear mx underfender tusk light I have.
RalleyTuned

New to me 90 KDX 200

Post by RalleyTuned »

Getting a few smaller things done, replacing stripped hardware and cleaning. The airbox was gnarly, looked like it has never even been whiped down! Checked the rod to crank clearance and its well within spec so im gonna go ahead and put the top end back on this weekend

Power valve area was gross

dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

New to me 90 KDX 200

Post by dfeckel »

I love those blue and white E bikes. I used one as a motor donor for my hybrid--it was rougher than yours! Same issue with the power valves on that bike, too. They looked like a couple of marbles. But I love me an E with working power valves!
David Eckel
RalleyTuned

New to me 90 KDX 200

Post by RalleyTuned »

Thanks, I am really diggin the white look, and planning to keep it mostly like it is. The local shop stocks the ufo kdx headlight and I have a tusk under fender rear light setup for the street legal conversion. I was going to swap the rear fender for an oem style one but havnt found a good deal on a white one, so im gonna stick with the mx style for a bit.

Just waiting on some money for the bike budget, just went on a honeymoon trip to mexico so gotta put a few bucks away to replace the power valves and buy a new piston.