Bought my first dirt bike

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Noel RSA

Post by Noel RSA »

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I live in South Africa and just bought a 2005 kdx 200. Its very neat and goes well. I decided to take it to a highly experienced local bike mechanic just for a once off look over and grease bearings, double check jetting and replace front sprocket and repack exhaust etc.

Seeing as i dont know its maintenance history for sure, I asked him to do the top end. He had a look inside and called me now to say that there is a small amount of up and down play on the con rod. He asked me to come over to show me. So I guess that means doing new bottom end also which I was really hoping not to do as it is now going to be quite costly.

Well anyway other wise the bike has been great fun and I really love riding it. Ive had it about a month and have ridden about 400 miles in forest, on dunes and in hills. I just wish it wasnt needing the bottom end done now...
Joshmcmillan
Supporting Member

Re: Bought my first dirt bike

Post by Joshmcmillan »

Welcome! :)

They're a great bike! Definitely worth the effort/money to get it into top shape as I don't think there is any other bike like it (I even prefer it to KTM 200's).

Conrod up and down play is bad, and could potentially be a lot worse if you don't get it fixed, unfortunately. You could buy a rod kit for about $60 odd, and have your mechanic true it up to your exhaust crankshaft weights using a new conrod, big-end bearing etc. Then you would want new crankshaft bearings and seals while the bottom end is apart most likely.

I would say, consider doing it yourself. But I remember only a year ago I wouldn't have thought twice about doing a bottom end, now I've done a handful of them myself. If this is an option for you, you'd want the workshop manual and if possible a friend that knows how nearby.
07' CR450X (Main Bike)
07' KX125 (Completed basket case rebuild, for sale)
88' KDX200 (Not sure yet, runs but with rattly top end)
91' CBR250RR
Old Bikes: 97' KDX200, 00' RM125, 85' XR350, 94' KDX200, 02' CR80, 82' XT250, 98' CT200
Noel RSA

Post by Noel RSA »

Thanks for the response. I would love to work on the bike myself....however I will have it done by the mechanic this first time and then from now on will try learn to do the work myself. I will start getting familiar with the mechanicals from now...id rather start off with just doing top end myself next time instead of starting with top and bottom this time.

I was wanting to get the wife a bike near Christmas...probably a crf 230....but this will make my finances a bit tight now to get another bike and all the gear for her... maybe its time to work some overtime at work hehe
Joshmcmillan
Supporting Member

Post by Joshmcmillan »

That's fair enough. You will get comfortable with the mechanics pretty quick, bikes are GREAT to work on! (Coming from a history of car obsessions). I've only been REALLY into bike mechanics recently, and the other day I removed an engine from a KX and had the cases split in under half an hour... they are great to work on when you get your head around it :)

Ohhh yeah, maybe you could consider a CRF150 or a TTR125 or something like that instead?
07' CR450X (Main Bike)
07' KX125 (Completed basket case rebuild, for sale)
88' KDX200 (Not sure yet, runs but with rattly top end)
91' CBR250RR
Old Bikes: 97' KDX200, 00' RM125, 85' XR350, 94' KDX200, 02' CR80, 82' XT250, 98' CT200
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

be sure to check the how to section (check my sig) before you (or mechanic) do any work on your bike