My $200 KDX200

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
kdxproject90

My $200 KDX200

Post by kdxproject90 »

Hey Everybody just wanted to share with you my $200 investment in a great bike that I plan to bring back to life. I was offered to buy this bike from my bosses son who was in a pinch, being between jobs on the pipeline down in Texas, and in need of a little extra cash. He first told me 500 for the bike and I was interested but really didnt have 500 I could just throw around at the particular moment so I passed but said I'd get back with him. A couple weeks later he came back up to my work and said if I had 200 he would let me get it that day. So of course I could not pass! I had been wanting a cheap fixer upper and this was my chance. Anyways here are a few pics for you guys..
So far I've attempted to restore all my plastics from oxidation deciding the back fender has gone too far I plan to replace that with an MX style fender (I could use some help choosing this) and I ordered a kx450f front fender hoping I dont have to modify it TOO much. I put on Renthal bars, some grips, a new aluminum throttle assembly and new forks (KLX300 '98)
As you can see I have opted to go with the klx300 front fork set up that i got for 150 on ebay. I had to get the brake caliper too separately, also off of ebay..
The bike was not running when I bought it. And still isn't :/. It is actually currently getting a new top end and stator coil as I'm typing this and I am hoping to have it back by mid next week! I am really lucky to know a guy who does great work and is doing all that plus getting a new headlight and running wiring for it (no headlight and no wiring ran for it when I got it) for around 500. Parts and labor.

Anyways just wanted to share this with everyone on here now that my project is actually taking shape! I'm open to any suggestions from you guys! Thanks for reading!

-Joel B.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

My $200 KDX200

Post by scheckaet »

great find!
check my sig for many how to and things to watch for while doing the top end...
Keystone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My $200 KDX200

Post by Keystone »

Make sure we get a ride report!
kdxproject90

Re: My $200 KDX200

Post by kdxproject90 »

I will be sure to give a ride report and some pictures of it all back together HOPEFULLY by the end of the week! This has been one of the longest weeks of my life having it out of my shop because I come home everyday with something I want to do with it :mrgreen:
kdxproject90

Post by kdxproject90 »

Still waiting to get my bike back from the shop and I've been going crazy not having it in my garage to tinker with!! Apparently the piston was back-ordered and was over-nighted yesterday to arrive today. I've had a lot of time to be able to just think about things I'd like to do/try on the bike and I thought I'd run my ideas on the forum and see if anyone else has tried. First off I have some dents in my expansion chamber and I've heard of people fixing them in quite a few different ways (heat and air pressure, freezing water inside and pumping water pressure inside) What is the best way to get my expansion chamber dent-free?? Also, once and if I get it dent-less I bought a spray can of 2000 degree header paint to slap on there to cover up the rusty finish since I just cant justify spending $250+ on a new pipe. And on a final note I'd like to get my swingarm cleaned up and looking good.. should I sand it? aircraft stripper? does it have a finish? Let me know if you guys have any experience on these or ideas for me, Thanks!! -Joel B.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

With the swing arm, it has a very hard paint job on it, maybe a powder coat, IDK but it's hard. I made an attempt to paint mine, turned out like crap. New paint wouldn't hold to the old paint, even after a few hours of prep. I ended up stripping all the paint off and am going to run it bare.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

kdxproject90 wrote:Still waiting to get my bike back from the shop and I've been going crazy not having it in my garage to tinker with!! Apparently the piston was back-ordered and was over-nighted yesterday to arrive today. I've had a lot of time to be able to just think about things I'd like to do/try on the bike and I thought I'd run my ideas on the forum and see if anyone else has tried. First off I have some dents in my expansion chamber and I've heard of people fixing them in quite a few different ways (heat and air pressure, freezing water inside and pumping water pressure inside) What is the best way to get my expansion chamber dent-free?? Also, once and if I get it dent-less I bought a spray can of 2000 degree header paint to slap on there to cover up the rusty finish since I just cant justify spending $250+ on a new pipe. And on a final note I'd like to get my swingarm cleaned up and looking good.. should I sand it? aircraft stripper? does it have a finish? Let me know if you guys have any experience on these or ideas for me, Thanks!! -Joel B.
Isn't daydreaming of what to do to your bike such an awesome escape? :partyman:

JUST FROM WHAT I HAVE READ, and zero first hand experience, the heat and air pressure method is more successful, but somewhat risky. I have read more than one horror story of results from the frozen water method. To me, it seems like with the heat/air method, one is able to focus on just the dented area, whereas the freezing water method affects the whole pipe.

You may want to look at Pacific Coast pipe repair or some other place that offers pipe repair services.

If it is not in the first 6 inches of the pipe, you may want to just leave it be.

Also, on the rust, have you tried a green Scotch-Brite pad, then just lightly oil the pipe? Try to not worry too much about rust or dents. Black spray paint on top of rust and dents is not going to be the prettiest thing.

A new FMF 1989 - 1994 KDX200 pipe is $183.96 shipped from www.ronayers.com , so $250 is a little high.

On the swingarm, it is painted from the factory, so for me, Aircraft stripper, then prime/prime/paint/paint/paint/clear/clear. www.colorrite.com if you want to buy the perfectly matched, Kawasaki factory recommended paint. It is priced at "you get what you pay for" and then some prices, however.

Your bike is a 1990 model, correct?

Good luck on the rebuild. Also, congrtaulations on starting out at $200. I have read a few stories of people paying too much, then still having to do a lot of engine work.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
kdxproject90

Post by kdxproject90 »

@ Jason - Yes, I have a '90 model 200. I havent tried the green scotch bright on my pipe yet but as soon as i get it back (hopefully today) I plan on giving it a try. I'm hoping it cleans it up nicely enough to have a smooth surface for the header paint to give little bit in the looks department. I may end up buying a new exhaust system next season anyway..

As far as the swingarm goes I think aircraft stripper and running it bare will be the way that I go with that. @ 6 riders did the aircraft stripper do a good job of getting the coating off or was there more issues with that?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I didn't use paint stripper, I used a brass wheel to "sand" it off. I would use the "dark red" scotchbrite on the pipe, it can be found in the paint section, it's made for metal prep, just used it on my pipe, no metal damage, it simply took the rust spots off and made the pipe shine.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
kdxproject90

My $200 KDX200

Post by kdxproject90 »

Latest pic of my project. Haven't done much lately other than new headlight off of ebay, '14 KX450 front fender, '93 KX250 rear fender and I had to modify my KLX300 front brake caliper a little bit to fit up with the stock KDX wheel/rotor. Rotor seems to fit up nicely now but I havent had the chance to test it very extensively. Turning out pretty good I think. I'm about $800 into this project now in total.
Dman93

My $200 KDX200

Post by Dman93 »

That's awesome. I would kill to have upgraded front forks on mine. Nice bike and really nice buy!
http://www.unhingedatv.com
Unhinged ATV
Online ATV, UTV and Motorcycle Parts store

93 KDX200
Race-Tech suspension
Uni Filter
FMF Pipe
Boysen reeds