New 1999 KDX200 Owners in Alabama

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
kedmunds

Post by kedmunds »

Hello Everyone.

My name is Kirk and I used to Race KDX's back in my "Flat Belly" Days. I just bought two 1999 KDX200's for me and my Son to start riding together. I would appreciate any information you would be willing to provide to help up get started in the right direction with these bikes. The one Glaring Issue that we both have is that we are both "Height Impaired" and 5'9" with a 30" Inseam. I cannot believe how tall these KDX's have become. Both of these are currently standing at 36" Seat Height. Thank God for the KickStand and these Kouba Links that I have been reading about. Any other suggestions about these KDX's would be Greatly Appreciated.

Thank You All,
Kirk
MentalGuru
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by MentalGuru »

You can also use KLX links to lower it some. They have a 117mm center to center distance.

The stock KDX200H link has a center to center distance of 112.5 mm. You can see this conveniently stamped on the side. The KDX 1 lowering link has a center to center distance of 118 mm.

They should lower it about 1". Raise the fork tubes some in the front, measure from the tire to the fender with the front suspension fully extended to make sure you didn't go to far.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: New 1999 KDX200 Owners in Alabama

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the forums.

Congratulations on your purchases.

Read through the many threads here, and you will learn a TON on the KDX.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
MCKDX220

Re: New 1999 KDX200 Owners in Alabama

Post by MCKDX220 »

Just an FYI, I put a set of KLX 300 117mm Pro Circuit Dog Bones and KLX 300 linkage bolts ~ (10mm longer) on my KDX 220R, it only lowered it 10mm, or roughly a 1/2". I really like the results as far as rear suspension action, however it did not lower the seat as much as would have liked.

1st thing I noticed was the suspension was noticably softer. if you go for the full on drop in suspension using Kouba Links and you are on the heavy side you have a problem, as your rear suspension will feel like mush. I believe the Kouba Link has a chart of what weight that can be carried, as you drop with each link. I weigh only 160lb's and I can just bottom out the rear suspension with the correct sag with the Kouba Link #1 equivilent.

I get the whole shorter suspension thing, I am inseam challenged @ 29", but you may have to settle on a happy medium, i.e. Kouba Link #2.

I would recommend trolling Ebay and get some KLX 300 links with the 2 corresponding bolts and see if that gets you close enough to the mark for 1 of the 2 bikes.

I can only imagine someone in the 120lb to maybe 130lb range being able to take advantage of the Kouba Link #3.

My .02¢ worth.

Michael
87 KDX200 / 02 KTM 520 EX/C / 87 XR 200 / 90 XR 200