New guy from PA

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
AgentOrange

New guy from PA

Post by AgentOrange »

Hey all! New to the dirt/trail bike scene, although Ive been riding street for about 3 years now on a few different bikes. Dirt is a different animal, learned that the hard way. I picked my first KDX up last fall for $250. It was butt ugly but all it needed was a CDI box and that was it to make it run.

When I got it

Before I put on a KX500 tail.

I just picked up a KDX400 for a special project involving a KE100 for $250. Wanted to stick with the air cooled motor because I think it looks like a cleaner setup for an enduro.

Attempting to fit the KDX400 into the KE100 frame. Will have to replicate the KDX neck and bottom rails on the KE100 in order for the KDX motor to fit

Upon further inspection of the motor it looks like the piston and cylinder is scored badly. Being a 2 stroke I figured there would be a bunch of NOS pistons and rings on Ebay but unfortunately not. There are LA sleeves for the 400 but no pistons or rings, kinda funny. Anyone out there know of anyone with KDX400 pistons and rings or Ill even do KX/KDX420 pistons and rings?
K50X200
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: New guy from PA

Post by K50X200 »

Welcome!
What part of PA are you from?
"00 KDX200 - Baja Designs D/S Kit, '03 KLX300 Forks, KB5 Suspension Mods, Keihn 35 ASQV, Boyesen Rad Valve, Gnarly Woods Pipe
AgentOrange

New guy from PA

Post by AgentOrange »

I'm in the Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton area. Planning on getting an anthracite coal company membership this month since the weather is nice out
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Welcome, lots of good info here to keep your scoots going. Looks like you're missing your right radiator shroud and fork boots. Really want to get those on...the shroud provides some layer of protection for the radiator (as well as channeling air more efficiently through it) and the fork boots will keep you from going through fork seals too quickly. Interesting hybrid build, I would think that air cooled 400 motor would fit nicely in an 05/06 KX250F steel frame...that would be a tasty hybrid :drool:
AgentOrange

New guy from PA

Post by AgentOrange »

I actually do have the shrouds on the bike. I must have taken that picture before I ordered them and the KX tail. I think I got fork boots with the 400 hopefully they will fit. The master cylinder is shot, any upgrades from other bikes? I'd assume a radial master or a non radial sport bike master would be overkill and possibly ruin the caliper piston seals.

I'm doing the 400 swap mainly because I can ride it on the street when I transplant it into the KE frame. Other than that the 400 would have been waaaayyy too much for me on the trails.
Keystone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Keystone »

Wow, your building a monster! I must see how that ke100/400 frankenbike turns out. I'm from PA also, south/eastern PA near Pittsburgh.
K50X200
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

New guy from PA

Post by K50X200 »

AgentOrange wrote:I'm in the Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton area. Planning on getting an anthracite coal company membership this month since the weather is nice out
I did the Rausch Creek Membership last year and thought I might do the RAC permit this year as well - still haven't made up my mind...
Do you ride out of the Minersville area - or is there some anthracite property closer to Allentown/Bethlehem?
"00 KDX200 - Baja Designs D/S Kit, '03 KLX300 Forks, KB5 Suspension Mods, Keihn 35 ASQV, Boyesen Rad Valve, Gnarly Woods Pipe
AgentOrange

Post by AgentOrange »

Keystone wrote:Wow, your building a monster! I must see how that ke100/400 frankenbike turns out. I'm from PA also, south/eastern PA near Pittsburgh.
I hope I can finish it with no problems. I actually go to school at penn state. When I had my street bikes up here I would put around 10k miles within 3 months, that's how nice the roads are around here, wished I lived up here. Back home I can barely stand to ride for an hour.
K50X200 wrote: I did the Rausch Creek Membership last year and thought I might do the RAC permit this year as well - still haven't made up my mind...
Do you ride out of the Minersville area - or is there some anthracite property closer to Allentown/Bethlehem?
I haven't ridden the kdx too much but I did check out the anthracite company near Pottsville, which is the closest anthracite property to me. Talked to a bunch of guys that ride there and said there are miles if single track riding out there. A bunch of guys said they rarely ever encounter other riders which is nice.