A new KDX owner story !! from Indiana

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Paparex
Supporting Member

Post by Paparex »

Bought a 2001 kdx 200 a week ago. drove 100 miles to look at it. PO's ad pic musta been 5 years old because the bike didnt look the same. it had been sitting for about a year he said, no bottom end really but lifted when revved out so i thought carb clean , fresh gas, etc.. ( THOUGHT WRONG! ) Wish I had seen this site sooner but hey you win some you lose some. I bought it and discovered it needed things. Cylinder is at Millenium, when it comes back i'll be throwing in a new wiseco top end, water pump seals, KIPS completely stuck so gonna get that sorted out. new chain and sprockets, carb rebuild etc.. it had brand new tires and brakes, bottom end seems good .55mm on big rod end so im leavin that for a winter project. guess i will start with stock jetting during break in then follow the jetting guide. follow a link on here and bought a service manual Cyclepedia was Awesome to deal with. lots of good info on this site. I cant wait to get this thing done so i can ride with my son!!! I will post some pics soon of the tear down aftermath lol.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: A new KDX owner story !! from Indiana

Post by diymirage »

welcome aboard
those KDX basket cases make great revivals

I bought one with a blown top end for 400 bucks, rebuild it and I like riding it more then "my" KDX
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Live and learn. Welcome to the forum!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Welcome to the forum and take heart...KDX's are the zombie undead of the 2 stroke world-they just refuse to stay buried! lol
TheRadBaron
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by TheRadBaron »

Welcome. That sounds just about how my first experience with the venerable KDX is going. Mine is an '89, bought a few weeks ago. It looked to be in good shape and seemed to run well, but I could only take it around the block so I couldn't really open it up. Plus, it was about 5 degrees out and that didn't help it run well. It turns out to have a few problems. My cylinder is now at Millennium, too. My KIPS system was also thrashed. I had to split the cases for a bad left side crank seal also. Oh well, I'm not too worried about it. While I have it all apart I'm adding a DG pipe, too. Sure, I'm having to throw a lot of money at it right off the bat, but it sure will be a nice machine when it's done. Freshly plated cylinder with new Wiseco piston, rebuilt KIPS system with new parts, fresh crank seals and oil seals all throughout the engine, plus the knowledge that the everything is in good shape. It should be good for a long time to come. I'd rather buy a worn out bike for $600 and put $1000 into it rebuilding than buy a $1500 bike that was 100% ready to go but had a bunch of hours on all the consumable parts like the top end and KIPS.
Hopefully you got a good deal on yours, but even if you didn't I don't think you'll have any regrets once you get it all back together. I love mine and I haven't even ridden it yet!