Just brought home an '89 KDX200

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
TheRadBaron
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by TheRadBaron »

Hello, I've been a member of this forum for a while now but haven't really posted much. I joined up at the end of 2012 because I found myself with a really nice '96 Suzuki RM125 rolling chassis and I was looking into swapping a KDX200 motor into it and making a hybrid. That project sort of moved to the back burner after I had no luck finding a suitable donor bike. Recently I started actively looking for a donor bike again but I was starting to think that maybe the hybrid wasn't the route I wanted to go and I might be better served by just riding the KDX. I ended up finding this '89 about 300 miles from my house. The price was right and the seller was cool so I hitched up the little trailer and went and got it yesterday.
It's in really good condition for the year and the price that I paid for it. It looks like it's been ridden respectfully and well maintained. It's supposed to be ready to ride and doesn't need anything. I picked it up from a residential area in Michigan early in the morning and it was COLD out. It started up and sounded healthy but was running a bit funny because of the temperature so I didn't get to put it through its paces. I've decided to just ride the KDX and forget about the hybrid plan. There's no point in tearing apart a perfectly good bike to make another one. Plus, I think the KDX is just an awesome looking machine. I REALLY like the late '80s styling with the kind of chunky, angular look.
I grew up riding dirt bikes in SW Ohio and my first "real" dirt bike was a '78 Yamaha IT175. I've had a soft spot for mid-size 2-stroke enduros ever since. I've been an avid motorcyclist my whole life but I haven't really done much off roading at all for the last 15+ years other than light, green lane type stuff. I plan to really get back into it this year and probably even start racing some hare scrambles.
I'm going to spend some time making sure the new KDX is mechanically sound and then start riding it as-is. I'll slowly start doing upgrades as time and money permit. There are a few parts from my RM chassis that might work really well on the KDX, front end especially. I'm off to the fork swap forum to do some research.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Just brought home an '89 KDX200

Post by KDXGarage »

Cool story. Congratulations on getting a KDX.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
jaywylie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jaywylie »

Awesome! Looks good!
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

welcome,
nice looking bike :grin:
best regards
John
Gotanubike
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Gotanubike »

Looks good :supz:

Definitely an '89 too since it has a green spring...check the sticker on the steering head, I bet it left the factory some time in '88. Should be a "MM/YY" somewhere
1990 KDX200
Bike Profile -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 61#p136315
Suspension Overhaul(Shock+89-92 conventional forks) -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15&t=15255
96'-98' RM125 Showa 49mm fork swap -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 04&t=16994
KDXrider world map! -> https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=186158
TheRadBaron
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by TheRadBaron »

Thanks guys. I'm pretty stoked about finally getting one. I have it in a bunch of pieces at the moment. I'm going through it and making sure everything is in decent condition before I start riding it. The rear suspension is really in pretty good condition. It needs new swingarm bearings and the lower shock mount bearing, but the rest of the linkage is good. The clutch was acting a bit funny so I pulled it out to inspect. The problem was a missing washer that goes between the throw out bearing and pushrod. It's a $3 part and the rest of the clutch looks practically brand new. No grooves in the clutch basket.
I went through the rest of the bike and everything seems good. So I have a bunch of parts on the way and it should be ready to rip when I get them installed. I'm hoping that I can get through the riding season and then service the top end and KIPS this next winter.