New Member, a wannabe KDX owner

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IDRIDR »

Greetings,
Just a mid-40s aged guy here in SW Idaho looking out for a KDX to add to the stable. Current bikes are '06 KLX250 w/ 351 big bore, modded out; '06 KLR650 mostly stock; and '97 XR250 buddy/beater bike. I've heard many good things about the KDX for trail riding. They don't come up often around here so I watch diligently and am ready to pounce when it comes up. I'll be digging around here to learn more about 200 vs 220 and other issues I should be on the lookout for. That said, are there any particular threads or post that are essential reading material for a potential nOOb?

Thanks,
Scott
2003 KDX 220. RB Carb & Head Mods. Desert pipe. She's a runner!
2006 KLX 250 w/351 big bore. A well-sorted dual sporter.
2006 KLR 650. Mostly stock.
2014 Suzuki DL1000.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: New Member, a wannabe KDX owner

Post by Julien D »

Welcome to KDXRIDER! Good to have you aboard. Here's a pretty good noob thread put together by one of our members:
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 77&t=12457

Looks like you're quite familiar with trail bikes. Have you owned a 2 stroke recently? The KDX is absolutely a tank. 220 is more of a stump puller, while the 200 has a little more of that 2 stroke top end. Which you should start with totally depends on what you want out of the bike. Take a look around, there is a ton of info buried in these forums. Feel free to start threads in General Q/A if you have specific questions.

Good luck in your search!
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by C George »

"The KDX is absolutely a tank "

In a good way ,,,, correct ?
05 KDX-220R / 06 KDX-225R / Maxima 927 / Millenium Tech / Ron Black / PC , FMF / Many 220 engine mods / 40 + yrs. of riding dirt bikes 🤟🤟
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

In a good way. As in, at 60 psi compression mine was still going, and going, and going. Perhaps I should have said "bullet proof"?
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IDRIDR »

Thanks for the replies, the welcome, and the direction to the noob thread.

My first bike was a two-stroke. A mid 1970s Suzuki GT380 triple street bike that I rode for a few years before bumping up to a Kaw 750LTD. I've only rode a two-stroke dirt bike a few times and that was about 30 years ago and probably less than 15 minutes total so no real experience. The 220 "stump puller" sounds like it interests me more than the 200, but I'd be happy to try either one. I'm looking for grunt, not hit.

As I stumble across CL adds, I'd like to post them up to get your thoughts. Should those questions go in the General Q/A area? This one for example: http://eastidaho.craigslist.org/mcy/4356898853.html
The description leaves me mildly interested and if it weren't 6+ hours away and back, I may take a look. But poorly running, missing parts, no title and an illiterate owner give me serious pause!

1990 KDX 200 road this bike all last summer it is hard to start so I think it needs sum carb work? it is an old bike so it has never had a title can get a new one with a vin check and bike inspection at D M V $800 OBO no traids
2014 Suzuki DL1000.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I'd stay away from that bike, unless you're looking for a winter project and not for that price, 400-500 at best.
Plus it's a e model and parts are getting more a more difficult to find, especially the subvalve that are badly designed and need replacing a lot...
Wait for an H model 200 or 220.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

C George wrote:"The KDX is absolutely a tank "

In a good way ,,,, correct ?
lol, I think batesy said it best
rbates9 wrote:It still ran because it is a KDX and they just don't know any different. They just run out of habit. :wink:
Gotanubike
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Gotanubike »

scheckaet wrote:Plus it's a e model and parts are getting more a more difficult to find
E's for life!.. :razz:

That bike doesn't look like it's in the greatest shape, and if it has hard starts it could be something as simple like an air adjustment screw tweak, to low compression or crank seal problem. However it does appear to have a KX500 or some other kind of universal rear fender and some wide handle bars. Which may indicate The owner knows a thing or two about what he's doing.

A couple things you could inquire about if you were to reply:

-Powervalves.......Ask if he knows anything about the powervalve system..Don't mention KIPS specifically, just test him on it to see what he knows!
-Piston..............Does it have stock or wiseco forged piston?
-Suspension.........ask if the compression and rebound are good on the suspension
-Cooling system....Functioning?
-Frame..............Looks good, but wouldnt hurt to ask
-Ask what mix ratio and gearbox oil he runs...anything over 40:1 mix, I'd be weary
-Brakes, bearings, plastics, filter, chain anything like that that might have been replaced or could be damaged/need of replacing

That does appear to be an FMF or aftermarket silencer. You could ask about that too
1990 KDX200
Bike Profile -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 61#p136315
Suspension Overhaul(Shock+89-92 conventional forks) -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15&t=15255
96'-98' RM125 Showa 49mm fork swap -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 04&t=16994
KDXrider world map! -> https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=186158
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IDRIDR »

scheckaet wrote:I'd stay away from that bike, unless you're looking for a winter project and not for that price, 400-500 at best.
Plus it's a e model and parts are getting more a more difficult to find, especially the subvalve that are badly designed and need replacing a lot...
Wait for an H model 200 or 220.
Gotanubike wrote:
scheckaet wrote:Plus it's a e model and parts are getting more a more difficult to find
E's for life!.. :razz:

That bike doesn't look like it's in the greatest shape, and if it has hard starts it could be something as simple like an air adjustment screw tweak, to low compression or crank seal problem. However it does appear to have a KX500 or some other kind of universal rear fender and some wide handle bars. Which may indicate The owner knows a thing or two about what he's doing.

A couple things you could inquire about if you were to reply:

-Powervalves.......Ask if he knows anything about the powervalve system..Don't mention KIPS specifically, just test him on it to see what he knows!
-Piston..............Does it have stock or wiseco forged piston?
-Suspension.........ask if the compression and rebound are good on the suspension
-Cooling system....Functioning?
-Frame..............Looks good, but wouldnt hurt to ask
-Ask what mix ratio and gearbox oil he runs...anything over 40:1 mix, I'd be weary
-Brakes, bearings, plastics, filter, chain anything like that that might have been replaced or could be damaged/need of replacing

That does appear to be an FMF or aftermarket silencer. You could ask about that too

This is exactly the kind of discussion I wanted to spark. Thank you.
- I wouldn't mind a winter project, but that's not what I'm looking for.
- I don't know the difference between e and h. Must be a year...research needed. And it seems each has their following? Like the KLR I suppose? I have a Gen 1 (pre 2008) and like them better than the Gen II. (edit: just did the research, H in 1995+, 1997 begins the 220)
- What's a subvalve/powervalve (more research needed - I admittedly have a lot to learn)? I couldn't test him much because I don't know shiite from shinola yet! :lol:
- Thanks for the list of questions. I'm with you on most of them.

bufftester wrote: lol, I think batesy said it best
rbates9 wrote:It still ran because it is a KDX and they just don't know any different. They just run out of habit. :wink:
^ This is exactly one of the reasons I'm interested in the KDX. My current stock of bikes is known for mostly being reliable as an anvil. I like it that way.
2014 Suzuki DL1000.
Gotanubike
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Gotanubike »

IDRIDR wrote:This is exactly the kind of discussion I wanted to spark. Thank you.
- I wouldn't mind a winter project, but that's not what I'm looking for.
- I don't know the difference between e and h. Must be a year...research needed. And it seems each has their following? Like the KLR I suppose? I have a Gen 1 (pre 2008) and like them better than the Gen II. (edit: just did the research, H in 1995+, 1997 begins the 220)
'89-'94= E and it's successor being '95-'06= H....The H model featured a redesigned powervalve system, frame and a few other things I'm sure. The real changes came to the KDX200 in 1989 from it's preceding "C" model(I think) with upgraded suspension and liquid cooling.

Example: That 1990 is an E-2...Mine is also 1990 but technically it left the factory 09/1989 so I like to think of it as an E-1

Here is something to familiarize yourself with and to learn the visual difference between the two:

IDRIDR wrote: What's a subvalve/powervalve (more research needed - I admittedly have a lot to learn)? I couldn't test him much because I don't know shiite from shinola yet! :lol:
- Thanks for the list of questions. I'm with you on most of them.
KIPS(Kawasaki Integrated Powervalve System) is a set of sub-valves like a rack & pinion type assembly inside the motor to open at a specific rpm range to maximize top end power. So at 6000rpm, a governing assembly that runs off the crank in the motor, automatically engages the 3 subvalves in the motor to open, creating optimal air flow through the exhaust. Kinda like a poor man's turbo :razz:
1990 KDX200
Suspension Overhaul(Shock+89-92 conventional forks) -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15&t=15255
96'-98' RM125 Showa 49mm fork swap -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 04&t=16994
Joshmcmillan
Supporting Member

Post by Joshmcmillan »

And if you don't know all these things to ask / check before you buy, you end up like me. The last 2 KDX200's I've bought have had non-functioning power-valves :P (E-series with broken shaft pin and MISSING sub-valve, H-series with sub-valve in backwards AND broken shaft pin again).

You'll learn a lot from these forums! I found that before I could properly understand what was going on with the powervalve system I needed to actually see it on the bike. There is covers on the sides of both models that you can take off and flick back and forward by hand while looking up the exhaust port to see the valves moving in sync. It is very common for them to be assembled in-properly (even the genuine Kawasaki manual for the H-series has instructions to install one backwards!).

They're great bikes, and even if you end up having to buy a few bits and pieces for them, they're easily available and relatively cheap.
07' CR450X (Main Bike)
07' KX125 (Completed basket case rebuild, for sale)
88' KDX200 (Not sure yet, runs but with rattly top end)
91' CBR250RR
Old Bikes: 97' KDX200, 00' RM125, 85' XR350, 94' KDX200, 02' CR80, 82' XT250, 98' CT200
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IDRIDR »

Joshmcmillan wrote:And if you don't know all these things to ask / check before you buy, you end up like me. The last 2 KDX200's I've bought have had non-functioning power-valves :P (E-series with broken shaft pin and MISSING sub-valve, H-series with sub-valve in backwards AND broken shaft pin again).

You'll learn a lot from these forums!
Exactly why I'm checking in first. My intent to purchase is getting serious and I have learned tons from other forums.
Joshmcmillan wrote:I found that before I could properly understand what was going on with the powervalve system I needed to actually see it on the bike. There is covers on the sides of both models that you can take off and flick back and forward by hand while looking up the exhaust port to see the valves moving in sync. It is very common for them to be assembled in-properly (even the genuine Kawasaki manual for the H-series has instructions to install one backwards!).

They're great bikes, and even if you end up having to buy a few bits and pieces for them, they're easily available and relatively cheap.

Don't we love it when the genuine manual has it wrong? Thanks for the heads up. And cheap parts are nice too.

Thanks again, ya'll
2014 Suzuki DL1000.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Don't know how far your willing to travel, but if you where thinking blackfoot from where you are at, then this one might not be to far away for you. Other members might be willing to check them out for you if they are close.
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/mcy/4351004891.html
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Joshmcmillan
Supporting Member

Post by Joshmcmillan »

Well in-case you're not already aware. H-series has a round plastic cover on the left side that you open with a large flat head screwdriver, you can take that off to check it's moving when revved up.... with E-series you can take off the three bolts on the right hand side where the arm from the bottom end enters the top and check it's moving side to side (you may have to take off expansion chamber to remove it though).

BUT, depending on the price of the bike, this may not be much of an issue if you don't mind doing a bit of work. My H-series wasn't working because of a $5 piece, just a shame that the price of that is multiplied by 10 once I pay postage to Australia :P
07' CR450X (Main Bike)
07' KX125 (Completed basket case rebuild, for sale)
88' KDX200 (Not sure yet, runs but with rattly top end)
91' CBR250RR
Old Bikes: 97' KDX200, 00' RM125, 85' XR350, 94' KDX200, 02' CR80, 82' XT250, 98' CT200
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on deciding to read up first and buy second.

When people use a letter code, it is almost always about the KDX200 in the USA.

1983 - 1985 is "A".
1986 - 1988 is "C".
1989 - 1994 is "E".
1995 - 2006 is "H".

There was only one version of the KDX220R in the USA, so there is no need to distinguish which model family one is referring to.

For the KDX80, KDX175, KDX250 and KDX400 people usually just mention which year model it is. KDX420 and KDX450 are one year only models.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IDRIDR »

6 Riders - I'd be willing to travel if the right deal came up and if it could be checked out.

Joshmcmillan - Thanks. I assume you're referring to the powervalve. Good info. And I certainly don't mind doing work. I actually like to. My KLX is in the shop now for winter maintenance (found linkage bearing was bad), and a tall list of to-do items.

Jason - Thanks for the welcome and the and the info.
2014 Suzuki DL1000.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Jason wrote:...
1885 - 2006 is "H".
Does that qualify for Vintage class racing?? :lol:
Gotanubike
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Gotanubike »

:busted: :kick:

But Somethin I just noticed was the intervals they use. They skip 1 letter on each generation. So... A to C to E- to H? Why not G? Maybe it was conflicted with another model
1990 KDX200
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks for the catching that, bufftester.

Gotanubike, in other countries, they got B, D, F, G models, KDX125, SR, etc. It is a global company and market, but on various USA forums I have been on for over a decade, most folks are usually from the USA and refer to USA model KDX200's with A, C, E or H.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Gotanubike
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Gotanubike »

Ok, so Kawasaki USA assigned the letters to the american models? What were they thinking skipping two letters?

Not important really just my OCD kickin in there :razz:
1990 KDX200