New owner in MN

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Mnmonster
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

New owner in MN

Post by Mnmonster »

Hey everybody,

Great site, lots of information. Have been looking to get back into dirt the last few years and do some trail riding. I had been looking for either an xr400r or a kdx and just picked up a new to me 1997 kdx 220. Has a few mods...bars, gnarly pipe, and fmf silencer. Plan on doing a new top end as the PO thinks it is still on the stock piston :blink: Bike was advertised as "Low hours" but it seems to have been used and abused a bit. I have yet to ride the bike since its 5 degrees outside right now, but have run it in the garage a bit. It starts and revs up nice but I did notice that it was spitting a bit of oil out the exhaust. It wasn't dripping out of the silencer, but after I shut the bike off I noticed a good amount of oil spatter on the wall behind the bike. Any thoughts on this? I figured after it warms up outside and I ride it a bit with some fresh gas I'll sort the jetting and mixture out and see if its still an issue and go from there.

Thanks!
DRoCksks

New owner in MN

Post by DRoCksks »

What part of MN? I'm south of Rochester. Get some pics of your bike, we all love to see 'em.
Mnmonster
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: New owner in MN

Post by Mnmonster »

Twin cities.

Here are a couple pics from the ad. I haven't taken any pictures yet.

C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

New owner in MN

Post by C George »

Mnmonster wrote:Hey everybody,

Great site, lots of information. Have been looking to get back into dirt the last few years and do some trail riding. I had been looking for either an xr400r or a kdx and just picked up a new to me 1997 kdx 220. Has a few mods...bars, gnarly pipe, and fmf silencer. Plan on doing a new top end as the PO thinks it is still on the stock piston :blink: Bike was advertised as "Low hours" but it seems to have been used and abused a bit. I have yet to ride the bike since its 5 degrees outside right now, but have run it in the garage a bit. It starts and revs up nice but I did notice that it was spitting a bit of oil out the exhaust. It wasn't dripping out of the silencer, but after I shut the bike off I noticed a good amount of oil spatter on the wall behind the bike. Any thoughts on this? I figured after it warms up outside and I ride it a bit with some fresh gas I'll sort the jetting and mixture out and see if its still an issue and go from there.

Thanks!
Looks in good shape for it's age. I've seen dirt bikes only a few years old look worse than that.
The oil splatter is probably from stock jetting , which is extremely rich.
Install a Wiseco piston and ride it. The 220 is a great bike ! :grin:
05 KDX-220R / 06 KDX-225R / Maxima 927 / Millenium Tech / Ron Black / PC , FMF / Many 220 engine mods / 40 + yrs. of riding dirt bikes 🤟🤟