hellos

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: hellos

Post by ohgood »

three more tanks of Lucas semi synthetic and the splooge is freaking gone.

Locus-Pro (gps tracking on my phone) show over 85 miles of street, double, and single track, and this is all that was on the pipe.

man this bike is fun.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

hellos

Post by bufftester »

What ratio are you running on your premix? I'd be a little nervous to have that little splooge in my 2T, seen too many 4 corner seizures back in my RD riding days. What LED light combo are you running? I'm looking for something similar for a streetfighter GSXR build I'm working on.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

bufftester wrote:What ratio are you running on your premix? I'd be a little nervous to have that little splooge in my 2T, seen too many 4 corner seizures back in my RD riding days. What LED light combo are you running? I'm looking for something similar for a streetfighter GSXR build I'm working on.
40:1
I'm going to put the Airbox lid back on tomorrow and see how much richer it runs. my buddy has a new ktm that is blobbing black ooze everywhere, at 80:1
so far i have about two hundred miles on it.

i bought some 27watt 9 led similar to this

and made my own brackets.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

Saturday I had a 80 mile dualsport ride kdx was great.
Sunday I did some fast trails, kdx was great.

Sunday afternoon I did some slow wheelies and came off the back once, dropping it on the right side. bike wouldn't start, team poorly if at all, and whistled.

after 10 minutes of looking for an intake problem, I walked aground it, to find a plug of dirt in the exhaust from the fall.

doh !

kdx ribs awesome again without the plug.

double doh !
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

aren't you glad you didn't give up on her?
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

6 Riders wrote:aren't you glad you didn't give up on her?
absolutely, yes sir. I'm watching eBay/ etc for a used cylinder/cases/engine/etc to build as a spare so riding wrong be interrupted again, for more than a couple of hours.

$500 bike is now my favorite ride
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

needed some more light

test ride waiting on dark

crappy phone video, but the lights are pretty good
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

hellos

Post by ohgood »

most of my riding buddies have given up hard enduro, so I'm planning to do more dual sporting on the kdx.

I've been running 13/47 gearing for hard/tight woods, but have a fun weekend of dualsport n camping coming up this weekend, so I'm back to 14/47 as of this afternoon. wow, the road manners really improved with this taller gearing! cruising at 45 is much smoother, much less pittapittapoottaapottapiittaa jerk and herky action, much smoother engine running, and I don't have to get into the pipe much at all to pass or cruise.

I like it so much I'm considering prettying up my drz and selling it, actually. something about the smooth running kdx sound just makes everything aaaaaok in the world.

:)
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

140 Miles of DualSporting the KDX through rain, dust, and fun double track this weekend proved that 14/47 is pretty dang fun. Even in the tight stuff. Cruising at 45-50mph is easy, and I even managed to achieve 25 mpg for the first time. Sweet !

At the campsite I started to change my rear wheel for an E model that has tight spokes/hub, but realized the bolt sizes for the disc are not the same. Shucks. I'll pick up some bolts and red loctite them in tomorrow.

Here comes fall riding season :)
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

I drilled and tapped the E model rear hub to accept an H model rear rotor, and yahoo I have two sets of wheels now. Well, really three sets, since the DRZ's dirty wheels, and soon-to-be-fitted 17" hooligan wheels will be fitted to the kdx also. I need to sell the drz and get a second engine for the spare kdx frame... one for dirt and the other for supermoto/dualsporting. wooo funnnn

I'm putting a ton of miles on it this winter. :D
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Are those flex bars on there?
How do you like them?
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

KDXohio wrote:Are those flex bars on there?
How do you like them?
gosh no, flex bars are like $$$$$$$ i could spend on fuel and oil instead ;-)

they're just regular old 4" rise bars that make it possible for me to stand on the bike (i look like lurch) without hunching over. :)

I think today I just killed my drz's chances of ever going off-road:
i put a 15 tooth front sprocket on the kdx. now it cruises at 50mph easily, and i can always slip the clutch for the tough stuff, or just swap sprockets in 5 minutes and get my 13 tooth crawler machine back. :)

looove me some kdx
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

OK, this is likely as close to stock as the bike will ever be again. Today is the icing on the cake...

Nearly perfect jetting
FMF Gnarly woods pipe
Stock Arrestor (quiet)
AirBox lid (omg quietERRR !)
trails tire out back
15/47 gearing (smooth cruisin machine)
60 degree LED flood + 20 degree LED spot
$14 led tail / stop light
tagged, titled, insured

Since the airbox lid and the 15/47, this bike is fantastic. The power difference between no airbox lid and WITH airbox lid is very minimal, but the power delievery and smooth QUIET manners is so much nicer to ride. I can sneak around very easily with this. I'm keep this setup for good.

Next, tag/title my E kdx200 frame, sell off the tank/wheels/frame/seat/plastics, and look for another super cheap kdx to make street legal/fun.

Sweet bike, love it !
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

the kdx saga continues...

another great weekend of dualsporting the kdx. honestly the street (connecting trails) portions of ds rides are so boringly uneventful it just makes me hate street riding. there's only so much time you can spend on the back wheel before a turn comes up and you have to act like a decent person again... then the street drones on again.

when the tighter dirt roads are keeping you busy dodging rocks however, things get a little more interesting on the kdx. the 20 year old suspension and pilots poor vision (and even poorer lighting) means some of the rock deflection wakes up the pilot over and over. fun stuff.

but we're still not in the kdx's element...

then comes the double and single track. ohhhh myyyy goodness... this bike simply comes alive when faced with tight twisty turns and trees everywhere. water berms, roots, rocks, and everything that can be defined as 'difficult' are where it shines. jostling with the 8 other riders for hot lines and hops (i don't do jumps) is a hoot of a good time.

flat tires on the 4t's:

and we helped camoflaug his bike to keep it safe

three used tubes and a few failed patches later we got moving again

and after all the moving i slept like a log. apparently i slept much too soon, as my friends took their time finding just the right parking spot for my beloved kdx...

and she didn't have to swim at all thankfully.

great weekend of riding, kdx never missed a beat. i had to kick her bare footed to hop her from the floating pier back to land, but otherwise had no issues.

log another 150 miles of dualsporting the kdx to the book. simply flawless

ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

hellos

Post by ohgood »

Another 100 miles of single/double track at West Point, Tennessee last weekend. KDX performed flawlessly, until the filter was so clogged with DUST that I fouled a plug. I was running 8-9 psi, and should have upped the pressure, but failed to and suffered one pinched tube. No biggie, rode the trials tire back to camp and changed out the tube (forgot to pack the pump in my backpack).

One benefit of riding a flat tire is it's nice and toasty after 8-9 miles of 45 mph, so it's easy to rip off and spoon back on again ;-)

I'm really happy with the LED light bar's output, and having fed by a very small 12V battery (recharged thanks to a gy6 regulator rectifier) means when I kill the engine I still have GOBS OF LIGHT on the trail. Charged my phone for a short period from it too.

We camped thurs-sunday, and enjoyed some of the best trail systems ever. Total milage from all the riders was 5 x 140 miles, with no serious injuries other than some bruises and abrasions.

Awesome weekend. :D
snopro753
Supporting Member

Post by snopro753 »

Did you get a South Dakota plate/title even though you're an Alabama resident?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

snopro753 wrote:Did you get a South Dakota plate/title even though you're an Alabama resident?

Alabama will not tag a dirt bike. South Dakota will. So you go through the process of getting a SD title, then transfer that title to Alabama. Easy peasy, street legal, insured, dirt bike... oops, i mean motorcycle, not dirtbike ;-)
snopro753
Supporting Member

Post by snopro753 »

ohgood wrote:
snopro753 wrote:Did you get a South Dakota plate/title even though you're an Alabama resident?

Alabama will not tag a dirt bike. South Dakota will. So you go through the process of getting a SD title, then transfer that title to Alabama. Easy peasy, street legal, insured, dirt bike... oops, i mean motorcycle, not dirtbike ;-)
Did you personally register and title the bike in South Dakota while a resident of Alabama? or did you have someone who is a resident of South Dakota do it for you?
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

snopro753 wrote:
ohgood wrote:

Did you personally register and title the bike in South Dakota while a resident of Alabama? or did you have someone who is a resident of South Dakota do it for you?

I registered it in SD, while a resident in AL. This is how
http://supermotojunkie.com/showthread.p ... r-ANY-Bike!

It's all via mail, SD doesn't care where you live, so long as the money changes hands. A ton of people have done this.
snopro753
Supporting Member

Post by snopro753 »

ohgood wrote:
snopro753 wrote:
ohgood wrote:

I registered it in SD, while a resident in AL. This is how
http://supermotojunkie.com/showthread.p ... r-ANY-Bike!

It's all via mail, SD doesn't care where you live, so long as the money changes hands. A ton of people have done this.
You're the man! Thanks for the link.