New from MA.........87 KDX rebuild

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
nickg

New from MA.........87 KDX rebuild

Post by nickg »

Hello all,
New to this site, I just picked up my first kdx200, she is an 87, decent shape, runs strong but needs some TLC. I believe the engine was replaced because the vin is coming back as a 1983 by my research. Can anyone verify this for me. The frame is definitely a 87. All the plastics are good, tires are good, need to replace front end shock boots and headlight assembly is missing along with some other minor things. The kicker has also been replaced, it seems its off of a much smaller bike and hits the brake pedal and case cover.

I ran the bike hard with my son this summer, he is 10 and rides a PW80. I have started a full tear down and am looking for advise on parts, websites and helpful information if you pass it along. I plan on doing a full restoration and bringing it back to life so he can ride it in a few years and have a Kick A*# 30year old dirt bike

I will post photos
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: New from MA.........87 KDX rebuild

Post by Goofaroo »

Welcome to the site. It's nice to see another air cooled model brought back to life. As for the motor, I don't know if an older engine would fit but here is a link to my 87 build and maybe you can look at the pics and see if your engine is the same. as far as I know an 83 model would not have the KIPS valve. I didn't do a very thorough job of documenting my build but perhaps some of the pics will help you and there are several other similar projects on the site.

http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=12771
nickg

Post by nickg »

Thanks Goofaroo...........but I cannot open your link to the rebuild and access the photos. Did you have a hard time finding parts, original and or aftermarket for your rebuild. I am looking at a few local bike to salvage for parts bikes..........but they still want big bucks for them here in MA
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

I went through an 87 (the thread is in the air cooled section) and still have the bike. I also rebuilt a backup bottom end with new crank rod, tranny etc.
What I found was that ebay is the best source for parts. Guys often tear down good running bikes and part them out. I was able to get a low time tranny pretty cheap there. Be patient and wait for good prices, as it seem like some of the sellers just copy each others ridiculously high prices, but then someone else usually comes in with a good price.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
nickg

Post by nickg »

The last time I ran it hard before I put it away I noticed that it was spitting oil from the head out the exhaust past the gasket. I think I may need to do a top end rebuild, any experience or advice on that issue.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

That's your 2 stroke spooge. It is an indication that the bike needs jetting, but some is normal. As for top end rebuild you could do a leakdown to check the motor and crank seals, but since you're doing a full tear down may as well do the same for the motor since it is at least 25 years old.
nickg

Post by nickg »

That was my plan, this is the first KDX that I have owned and not going to be the last......I appreciate the info.................any recommendations on parts sites for rebuild parts?
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

I shopped around and bought parts from numerous sites but Bike Bandit and Cheap Cycle Parts are good for factory parts such as all the seals and gaskets you will need. You can still get parts for the shock if you plan to service it yourself or any suspension shop will know what to do with it. The only things that I couldn't find were the bearings and such to rebuild the shock linkage. Mine didn't have much wear but one day I will have to get creative to rebuild it back to new condition.

I'm not sure why you can't see the pics on my build thread but there are others on the site or you should be able to look at some pics online and see if your motor looks the same. Also, if you look at the right side of the motor just under the head, there should be a small cover on the side of the cylinder held on by two bolts. It has a shaft running down below it into the engine cover. If yours has that it is an 86-88 model engine.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

Welcome! I'm from Ma. too. I agree above. 1986 was the first year for the KDX powervalve. Thats a good give-a-way to the year. Looking forward to your build. Keep us posted. It helps us get through the winter. :grin:
nickg

Post by nickg »

What part of ma are you from?
nickg

Post by nickg »

What part of ma are you from?
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

im in mass too :) im doing an 86 kdx rebuild also. mines from the frame up. so far all my purchases have been from ebay/motorcycle superstore.

link to mine
http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=11541
If you ain't Mixin Gas, You ain't Haulin Ass!
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

nickg wrote:What part of ma are you from?

Lakeville
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

s10gto wrote:

Lakeville

Do you ride Freetown SF?
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

s10gto wrote:

Lakeville

Dude im in new bedford. :)
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

Dekon wrote:
s10gto wrote:

Lakeville

Do you ride Freetown SF?

Yes! Haven't been in a while ,but plan to hit it hard next season.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

hbgod wrote:
s10gto wrote:

Lakeville

Dude im in new bedford. :)

Cool! Get that bike done and maybe we can get a ride going at freetown SF. :grin:
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

Cool! Get that bike done and maybe we can get a ride going at freetown SF. :grin:

She should be done by spring :) at least be woods worthy by then. maybe not road legal by then.