Newbie from Ma.

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Newbie from Ma.

Post by s10gto »

Hello eveyone! Names Dustin. New to the KDX family with a 220. Found this forum and love it. Currently riding a 98 YZ250 with Gnarly pipe , FMF silencer and V-force reeds. Not bad in the woods but thought I would try a real woods bike. Looking forward to some goood reading to get through the winter.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Newbie from Ma.

Post by diymirage »

welcome aboard dustin
that's actually a pretty good name cos with a well set up KDX you will be dustin every other bike on the trail

your main priority right now would be figuring out if your bike has a stock piston in it or not because if it is you will need to replace it
if it is already running a forged piston you should focus on dialing in the suspension for your weight
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

Thanks diymirage. It is stock. Found this bike with only 10 hours on it. Its like new. How long can you trust the stock pistons? Thanks
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

The only way to tell how long you trust a stock 220 piston is run it till it breaks and then minus a couple of hours from that

Im not sure what causes it but they tend to develop fractures in the skirts and drop them
If your lucky this destroys the topend...if your not so lucky the debris takes out the bottm end aswel and you will need to split the cases to fix it
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

diymirage wrote:The only way to tell how long you trust a stock 220 piston is run it till it breaks and then minus a couple of hours from that

Im not sure what causes it but they tend to develop fractures in the skirts and drop them
If your lucky this destroys the topend...if your not so lucky the debris takes out the bottm end aswel and you will need to split the cases to fix it
Welcome, Dustin! +1 on what DIY said. Definitely replace it as soon as you can. My 220 has scars (welded up holes) in the bottom of the case from such a failure - fortunately (?) before I owned it. Otherwise this thing is pretty bullet proof.
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

Thank you guys. I will replace it. Better safe. Its almost winter anyways and the 250 is going strong for the rest of the season.

Thanks again