New from St. Louis, MO

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Speed

New from St. Louis, MO

Post by Speed »

Hello,
I am a new to dirt riding and this is my first dirt bike. I have been riding street bikes for more than 20 years and do some track days once in a while. My son turned 10 this year and he wanted a dirt bike. So, we are both newbies at this and it's kind of like the blind leading the blind. I have a few dirt riding buddies that gave me advice and I settled on a 2004 KDX 200. The first bike I tried was a Gas Gas 250 2stroke and that was very tall. Tall enough for me not to be able to kick start it!
I lowered the KDX with a Koubalink and moving the forks up and that helps (I'm 5'7 and 150lbs).
For a guy who's been riding so long, I feel like I know nothing about dirt and it's overwhelming riding this bike from the way the suspension feels to the way the terrain feels..etc. I hope it's not too late for an old dog to learn new tricks.
ArkAngel

Re: New from St. Louis, MO

Post by ArkAngel »

Welcome and enjoy the site.
KDX 200
KDX 250
DRoCksks

New from St. Louis, MO

Post by DRoCksks »

Its not too late to learn...l'm 31 and just started riding in the woods. Just remember to take it easy and you'll pick it up.
jaywylie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jaywylie »

Welcome Speed! Lots of great info and helpful members on the forum. Enjoy your bike!
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I "became" a rider and bought my first bike (94 KDX) when I was 35! I started because my kids wanted to ride.....now I have 4 sons and 9 bikes!
Ride ON!
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Speed

Post by Speed »

Thanks for the welcomes and encouragement. If I find enough time, hopefully I will improve.
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

New from St. Louis, MO

Post by turtle »

Welcome! Similar to you, I started riding off road (at age 46, 3 years ago) after steet riding for 25+ years. I ended up on a KDX as my first dirt bike and I love it. Good choice of bike (and forum!).

At first I tried to ride my dirt bike like a street bike - bad idea. But I kept at it, did some reading, got some pointers from experienced riders, etc. I ain't fast for sure, but I have had so much fun learning to ride off road, and now I can ride just about anywhere I want at a pace that doesn't completely hold up my experienced riding buddies.

Just a couple weeks ago we went riding about an hour south of you at St. Joe State Park. They have some very good off road riding and a really nice campground. Wish I lived so close!

Enjoy riding with your boy and learning a new way to enjoy motorcycles.
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
Speed

New from St. Louis, MO

Post by Speed »

turtle wrote:Welcome! Similar to you, I started riding off road (at age 46, 3 years ago) after steet riding for 25+ years. I ended up on a KDX as my first dirt bike and I love it. Good choice of bike (and forum!).

At first I tried to ride my dirt bike like a street bike - bad idea. But I kept at it, did some reading, got some pointers from experienced riders, etc. I ain't fast for sure, but I have had so much fun learning to ride off road, and now I can ride just about anywhere I want at a pace that doesn't completely hold up my experienced riding buddies.

Just a couple weeks ago we went riding about an hour south of you at St. Joe State Park. They have some very good off road riding and a really nice campground. Wish I lived so close!

Enjoy riding with your boy and learning a new way to enjoy motorcycles.
Thanks. I was there that weekend to try out the bike for the first time. If the weather permits this weekend, I may take him and my GF's son for another try.