New guy southeastern MN

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Worden18

New guy southeastern MN

Post by Worden18 »

Greetings from Minnesota; my name is John. I'm 43 and I'm reliving my youth a bit with a recent 87 KDX 200 purchase. I haven't owned a bike since 1988 (88 KX 125). Back in 1983 (till about 1985) I had a 1980 KX 80. I own 4 three wheelers and have fun with those, but I couldn't resist buying this KDX. Glad I did, it has the power I was looking for. :mrgreen: After all these years without owning/riding a bike, I wonder how I ever let that many years pass without owning one. It needs some work, which a friend of mine has graciously offered to help me with. We will be putting on new tires, brakes, sprockets, chain, clutch cable, levers, grips, bearings, etc. After a google search I came upon this site; looks like the right place to be. I have a lot to learn (I love working on these old machines), but this site seems to have a lot of info, and I will be reading up and soaking in as much as I can. Also, I do have a service manual coming (ebay). Thanks for having me. I need to upload some pics to my photobucket link and then I'll post them here....
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: New guy southeastern MN

Post by bufftester »

Welcome. Seem to be a lot of vintage KDXs showing up lately, testament to their durability.
DRoCksks

New guy southeastern MN

Post by DRoCksks »

Welcome...good to see another SE MN guy!
Worden18

Post by Worden18 »

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Hey DR, whereabouts in MN are you? Just curious if there's anyone close to me....
DRoCksks

New guy southeastern MN

Post by DRoCksks »

Pretty close...just south of Rochester about 20 minutes. Where do you ride around here?
Worden18

New guy southeastern MN

Post by Worden18 »

DRoCksks wrote:Pretty close...just south of Rochester about 20 minutes. Where do you ride around here?
Altura is very rural, so I can be on gravel in 15 seconds. There is a nice valley that I ride; which is pretty much it with the bike, unless I want to load it up and travel. I don't have a truck these days (my 3 wheelers will fit in my van), so not sure if I will be going on any designated bike trails this season yet. A friend of mine has some bikes (and a truck :razz: ) and offered to go riding with me on some designated trails; he and I go 3 wheelin' every now and then. The "Altura Trail" starts right out of my back yard, but it's for ATVs only. :mad:

My friend lives out in the country down by Chatfield, and he has some bike trails set up on his property and thru the woods. I might make it down there before it snows....
DRoCksks

New guy southeastern MN

Post by DRoCksks »

I just don't really get the ATV only concept on a lot of the trails in MN. I guess its about numbers and more people probably want ATV trails these days but it still sucks. I have so far only hauled my bike all the way to my family owned land in Iowa. Its not a bad trip, just a little inconvenient. I do know there are a couple MX practice tracks in the area, but of course the KDX isn't really making me excited about hitting jumps and I'll save that kind of riding for when I pick up a KX.

Did you pick up the KDX local? I know there was one for sale over by Albert Lea that was air cooled.
Worden18

New guy southeastern MN

Post by Worden18 »

DRoCksks wrote:I just don't really get the ATV only concept on a lot of the trails in MN. I guess its about numbers and more people probably want ATV trails these days but it still sucks. I have so far only hauled my bike all the way to my family owned land in Iowa. Its not a bad trip, just a little inconvenient. I do know there are a couple MX practice tracks in the area, but of course the KDX isn't really making me excited about hitting jumps and I'll save that kind of riding for when I pick up a KX.

Did you pick up the KDX local? I know there was one for sale over by Albert Lea that was air cooled.
I picked it up in Onalaska, WI, a little less than an hour away from me.

I think the concept about bikes on the ATV trails is the rut factor, and the speed factor. Although the big 4 wheelers with those huge tires seem to dig up the path a lot more than any of my 3 wheelers ever will. Time to lobby for bikes on the ATV trails :mrgreen:

Maybe next spring you can haul your bike over this way and ride :supz:
DRoCksks

New guy southeastern MN

Post by DRoCksks »

Yeah, I could do that. Winter seems to be coming up fast this year doesn't it?

I know there is one trail over that way. Its state run, guess that would mean a trail registration, but those are cheap enough. I'm not losing hope of riding more this year, my bike is pretty rich so its safe in the cold.
Worden18

Post by Worden18 »

Yeah, I plan on riding as long as there is no snow or ice on the ground. I don't care how cold it is. I'll be getting a little help on the bike from my buddy (this week). I got the rear wheel off, but he's going to help me replace the bearings and brake shoes; then we'll put on new sprockets and a new chain as well. I realize it's not rocket science, but I wanna make sure it's done right and I can learn along the way. Can't wait to get it trailworthy again. I'm gonna do a quick search on the state trail, as I'm not sure where it is exactly....

Ah, here it is: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/ohv/trail_detail.html?id=34
DRoCksks

New guy southeastern MN

Post by DRoCksks »

Yep thats the one I was thinking of. It doesn't look very exciting but it is close.
Worden18

Post by Worden18 »

I promised a picture. Yesterday I put on new sprockets, chain, and rear brakes. I have a long way to go, but it is a lot of fun to work on.

DRoCksks

New guy southeastern MN

Post by DRoCksks »

Looks like a good start and really similar in condition to my bike. You must have headlight and tail lights both? That is the one thing I wish mine had.
Worden18

New guy southeastern MN

Post by Worden18 »

DRoCksks wrote:Looks like a good start and really similar in condition to my bike. You must have headlight and tail lights both? That is the one thing I wish mine had.
No headlight. Not even sure if the tail light has wiring going to it. I had originally assumed all the KDXs came from the factory with both head and tail lights. I want to put on a headlight, though. I'm gonna guess that I would have to splice a new wire out from the kill switch? :hmm: Not too sure. Anyone ever put their own headlight on??