My free project bike

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Jettaron91vw

My free project bike

Post by Jettaron91vw »

Hi everyone. My name is Ron and I'm 28 and currently stationed at lovely (not) fort Stewart Georgia. I just started tearing into my 1990 KDX 200. I got it free from a friend about 12 years ago and rode it a few times. Then I joined the army, moved to Georgia, and ended up eventually getting the old girl down here.
My daily ride is an 07 DRZ 400 supermoto that doesn't see any dirt. My intent for the KDX is to
1-rebuild and fix what needs in order to make it a serviceable dirt bike again
2-street legal, because why not
And 3-make it look pretty, keeping it looking as much a 90s dirt bike as possible. I'm a sucker for the green/pink/blue combo.

Currently I'm in the research phase, as I've never taken apart suspension components. So any direction or advice or parts listing you guys have would be great.

I look forward to the journey that is a 23 year old neglected motorcycle, and once I make some progress (read have money to buy parts) I'll start a build thread to show my progress.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

My free project bike

Post by rbates9 »

Welcome to the site! Good luck with the project
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

My free project bike

Post by Dekon »

Hello Ron, welcome to the site and thank you for seving our Country.

One of the things you should really get is a manual. Just about everyone on here will tell you that is the best thing to start with. I did a total rebuild on a 1989 $200 Craigslist special and found this site and the manual invaluable.
Jettaron91vw

My free project bike

Post by Jettaron91vw »

Dekon wrote:Hello Ron, welcome to the site and thank you for seving our Country.

One of the things you should really get is a manual. Just about everyone on here will tell you that is the best thing to start with. I did a total rebuild on a 1989 $200 Craigslist special and found this site and the manual invaluable.
i have access to the manual through the army website, except it is for up to an 89. is there anything drastically different from 89 to 90? perhaps i can just get the supplemental manual?

thanks guys for the responses
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: My free project bike

Post by bufftester »

Nope the 89-94 are all the same (save for the 93-94 getting USD forks)
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

My free project bike

Post by radonc73 »

Welcome Ron. You with 3rd ID? I was with the 1st Brigade in Schweinfurt German 92 to 94. Supported 1/15 Inf. Rock of the Marne.
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: My free project bike

Post by diymirage »

radonc, I think ive mentioned this before, but I grew up on Bavaria, my mom was actually born in lieshout (or as we called it liessent) and I grew up just a few miles down the road of the brewery

good days
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

My free project bike

Post by radonc73 »

I brew my own beer to try to recreate some of those So. Bavarian Hefes.!! Still not close but it is fun to try.
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER