Newbie with Rear suspension issues, 2001 KDX 220R

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
BurnerTurner

Newbie with Rear suspension issues, 2001 KDX 220R

Post by BurnerTurner »

Hey All,
Im new to riding just purchased a 2001 Kdx 220r. At first I thought the rear suspension just wasn't set up properly, but after tweaking the lower and upper adjustment screws for the rear shock and having little change Im coming to you guys. How do I setup my rear suspension?
I need some help diagnosing if there is a rear suspension problem: I sit on the bike and the suspension is stiff and there is no rebound or bounce. push on the rear fender/back of the seat and the back end goes down but comes up really really slow, its almost like I need to lift it up.
I bought the bike and a buddy checked it over, he said the things in great shape and doesn't look like its been ridden hard, I figure worn out parts are unlikely but what do you guys think?

Thanks for your time.
jerry malbeck

Re: Newbie with Rear suspension issues, 2001 KDX 220R

Post by jerry malbeck »

As old as it is and if you dont know the history of maintanance It would probably be a good idea to service the shock . Just bought a 2001 and has a similar problem . Fluids were nasty, and it needed to be set for a lighter rider as well . you ned to check the nitrogen charge as well .When bikes just sit , Its not good .
BurnerTurner

Re: Newbie with Rear suspension issues, 2001 KDX 220R

Post by BurnerTurner »

Ill check it out, and give her some TLC,

Thanks