New to the site and the KDX

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
DRoCksks

Post by DRoCksks »

Just picked up a 1989 KDX 200 yesterday evening. I lurked on the site for a day or so and thought I would share my bike and say hi. I think I got a decent deal, $500 for the bike and a pile of parts. I've already started a major clean up and replacement of body parts, it came with a decent stock front fender and a Maier rear that is brand new. Hopefully it will look a lot better shortly.

De250r

Re: New to the site and the KDX

Post by De250r »

Welcome. Enjoy the kdx.

Sent from the back woods of vt via patchy Internet
Live free and ride hard
DRoCksks

Post by DRoCksks »

Thanks! I'll have to get a little more cleaning done in the next couple of days but it already looks 100% better. After 2 hours of work I got the decals off, fenders mounted, ditched the ugly acerbis fork/brake covers, and did a quick inventory of the parts that came with the bike. I plan on adding a couple of stickers once its all clean. Also, the number plates are getting painted since they are so faded. I figure if I don't like black I can get a new/used set that aren't so faded later on.
Postigo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postigo »

Welcome to the site!!! You stole it for $500
The Doctor says I have multiple personality desorder... But we are not agree...
Robkx250

Post by Robkx250 »

Hi there nice paint job :lol:
Gotanubike
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Gotanubike »

$500 with the motor?? :shock: Jeez how the heck are people finding these for so cheap??? The pipe and those fenders are nearly worth $500 new. I forked out over double that for my '89(owner stated it was a '91) and that was after some bargaining. Later to find it out it needed over $200 in parts and servicing. And was still the cheapest intermediate bike I could find locally. :rolleyes:

That's a nice find. I'd recommend doing a water pump and top end inspection as the powervalves pinion gears are known to strip down on these old E series, which can compromise your top end power. You'll want all three to get the most out of your powerband!

Good luck
1990 KDX200
Bike Profile -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 61#p136315
Suspension Overhaul(Shock+89-92 conventional forks) -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15&t=15255
96'-98' RM125 Showa 49mm fork swap -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 04&t=16994
KDXrider world map! -> https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=186158
ArkAngel

Post by ArkAngel »

Welcome and enjoy the site
KDX 200
KDX 250
DRoCksks

Post by DRoCksks »

Spent some time cleaning today. Also got the new rear fender and stock front on. The side covers got a coat of paint (I'm cheap). Gone are the neon KDX stickers, a little too early '90s (late 80s) for me. There is still paint on the rear spokes, but I spent at least 1 hour working on the front and its much better.

I really feel like I got a great deal on the bike. The asking price was $700, I offered 5 and loaded it up. I was a little surprised when the extra parts started getting loaded for me by the owner...

bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

You will easily get your moneys worth out of that purchase! Couple quick items...
Fork boots - will save a lot of wear and tear on seals and fork legs
Front Brake Cable - needs to be routed correctly (inside of fork leg) to prevent snagging/damage
Chain - adjust that thing then go ride.
DRoCksks

Post by DRoCksks »

bufftester wrote:You will easily get your moneys worth out of that purchase! Couple quick items...
Fork boots - will save a lot of wear and tear on seals and fork legs
Front Brake Cable - needs to be routed correctly (inside of fork leg) to prevent snagging/damage
Chain - adjust that thing then go ride.
I'm adding neoprene seal guards to the forks, just waiting on them. Not sure what you mean about the front brake line, I'll have to check out some pictures and my service manual. A chain adjustment is in order, I hadn't looked at it that closely until now...thanks!

I did manage to ride it around my garage 2 times tonight and have to say it feels plenty healthy. My previous bike was a CR125 and its got a lot more bottom end than that bike did. I spend most of my time at lower speeds so this feels like a great fit for me.
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

Welcome to the site.

What bufftester is saying is that the front brake hose should pass between the lower fork slider and the wheel. In the picture you posted the brake is on the outside of the slider. Take the caliper off and slip it through on the inside.

Also, be careful of the neoprene seal guards. Once dirt and grime get under them, your seals will be gone in no time. A lot a guys in my area used to run them on their trials bikes and had problems keeping the seals good for any length of time. I like the fork boots because they cover the entire upper fork slider. Just my two cents.
DRoCksks

Post by DRoCksks »

I'll be sure to watch the fork seals. The fork seals are new, just replaced by the previous owner so I do want to keep them alive. Realistically I won't be putting a lot of hours on this bike at all. I wish there was a riding area closer to home but private family owned land is a 2 + hour drive and public land is at least as far. Next time I ride it at all, its going 3 blocks to the car wash for a deeper cleaning to remove the exhaust stains and the grease I couldn't get with the garden hose and dish soap.