I'm coming back to what I love

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
bullmastiff

I'm coming back to what I love

Post by bullmastiff »

Hello all...I grew up riding dirt bikes in the late 70's and into the early 90's. But, I sold my bikes to pay for college. I always wanted to get another one but the Marine Corps., marriage, job changes, buying a house, then building her dream house and life in general got in the way. The next thing I know, I'm in my early 40's, but I have three boys who are now of that age where they are wanting to have fun. My oldest has a Polaris Magnum 500 quad and it works quite well around here on the farm. The next oldest son bought a TTR125L and the older brother is now wanting a dirt bike as well. The boy is almost 13, but 5'6" and 150 lbs. and has really long legs....he could wear my pants if his waist was as big as mine and I'm 6'2". As we tried to figure out what bike to get the boy, the KDX200 kept popping up in the back of my mind. I kept remembering how it was such a good all around bike, and could be hopped up quite a bit as the riders skills improved. I like the sound and smell of 2 pingers, and figured I would try and steer my boys that way, since maintenance is so much easier and cheaper. So, in my search, I have run into this forum. I will be spending a lot of time doing some reading and gathering as much info as I can, as I have a 20 year gap in my knowledge. I've kept tabs on the changes over the years, but I know there is still a lot I don't know. So that was my long winded hello from Northeast Oregon, or as we call it over here, God's Country!
Robbie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: I'm coming back to what I love

Post by Robbie »

It's the only 2 stroke I prefer to ride.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the forum. The last KDX200 version was introduced in fall of 1994, here in the USA, so if you have a 20 year gap, you are really only a year behind on a KDX. Congratulations!! :grin:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

no kidding, I got my "own" KDX and one I bought to fix up and sell
I was then going to use that money to buy a starter bike for my wife and my nephew
had the bike for sale for a few months and no one wanted to pay what it was worth
then one day I was looking at my nephew and I noticed he is about 5"7' so I said forget it, your going on the KDX

he took his first ride on it last weekend (first time on a motorcycle, period) and he did great, much better then I did first time on a bike
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
cragwl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cragwl »

Riding with your boys, or girls, lending a bike to your bud or nephew, now that's living the good life.

Welcome :grin:
In dog beers, I've only had one.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

That's the great thing about the KDX, a 20 year gap and you haven't missed a thing! lol Welcome back
bullmastiff

Post by bullmastiff »

What I found funny was, I picked up a Dirt Bike magazine for my boys to look through, and they had an article about the ISDE, and I thought oh cool, I wonder who the medal finishers were, bet I don't know any of the names and lo and behold, Jeff Fredette was in there! That guy was racing when I was a kid and he is still kicking butt! OK, it's not on a KDX any more, but still....that guy is a legend! I remember when he was riding that little KDX when everyone who was anyone was riding a Husky. Apparently I really haven't missed that much after all!
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Yeah, he rode a KDX for 20 years of ISDE and medaled every time. The only reason he quit riding the KDX is he was Factory sponsored, and in 07 they didn't have a KDX, so he went to the KLX.