New to KDX and riding!

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
pegordon

New to KDX and riding!

Post by pegordon »

Hello! I am about to celebrate my 30th birthday and received a 2002 KDX200 as an early bird at present from my wife (lucky guy huh?). I had never been on a motorcycle of any kind up until a few weeks ago when I took my father in law's old Honda for a spin and enjoyed it immensely.

This bike caught me totally off guard and seems completely out of the blue, but I can't wait to get out and ride. My brother in law is an avid rider and I can't wait to learn the ropes from him and from this community. Any tips off the bat for a complete and utter noob?
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: New to KDX and riding!

Post by diymirage »

welcome aboard

sounds like a great present the wifey got you
im sure you will enjoy riding
I just turned 30 this year myself and ive noticed im not as fast, nor as bulletproof as I was but at least the KDX is
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Congratulations and welcome to the forum.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
pegordon

Post by pegordon »

Ha, thanks diymirage, I'm am shopping for a helmet and boots as we speak... Seems like a good first step. Ha.
jwhking1315

Post by jwhking1315 »

Wear your gear & don't be afraid of the front brake
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

good call
I was riding almost 2 weeks ago and I was cruising along at about 40 miles per hour
the trail I was on was pretty trenched out and only 3 foot wide
at some point I got the nose of my boot caught in a rut and my foot made a 180 degree turn

still hurts to walk but I am sure that if I wasn't wearing my boots I would have broken my ankle
here is the post from when I was looking to buy some boots , good info and insight on what others on here use

http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... ts#p126555

and as far as the helmet goes, this may sound silly but I always like it when everything matches, helmet, jersey, pants and bike
just something to keep in mind ;)

rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

New to KDX and riding!

Post by rbates9 »

Congratulations on the bike! sounds like you found a great wife! Can you post some pictures of the new toy?

Helmet AND goggles, boots, chest protector. That is a good start. A "camel back" or some way to bring along some water is important too, you will probably tend to get thirsty. :wink:

An 02 is a 11 year old bike so you will want to go over it and make sure the bike is up to the task. Make sure the brakes, chain, suspension, engine are all in good shape. Tires are important too. The front is more important then the rear as far as keeping you up right so if it needs one get one.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

New to KDX and riding!

Post by diymirage »

rbates9 wrote:
Helmet AND goggles, boots, chest protector. That is a good start. A "camel back" or some way to bring along some water is important too, you will probably tend to get thirsty. :wink:

no kidding, I have a 64 ounce camel back and I will drain it on a 14 mile trail

pegordon

New to KDX and riding!

Post by pegordon »

ugh, i know i am missing something and can't believe i have to ask this, but how do i post a picture?
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

you have to upload it to a site like photobucket than click get links and copy the img code into one of these messages and voila!
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
pegordon

Post by pegordon »

here is a crappy phone pic but it'll give you a little idea...

KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Man looks real clean!
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
pegordon

Post by pegordon »

Yeah, my family has been planning this for a while I guess... My brother in law apparently picked it up about a month ago and has spent the time since working on it (unbeknownst to me) and getting it cleaned and fixed up. I'll get the details on the stuff he did to it but right now I have no idea.
algreen

Post by algreen »

I'm the brother in-law. :)
Its a bice bike i bought from a fellow rider in the Great lakes Dual Sport club. Came with a new clutch, Dyna Ring auto clutch (removed so he can learn to clutch properly), gear oil, brake fluid, coolant, tires are good, carb is jetted nicely by the PO, 30mm risers, pro tapers, TT computer, FMF Gnarly pipe, stiffer springs from FRP with a couple shims removed, lights work and ready to ride!
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Great find! I wish I had a KDX when I was learning to ride I learned on a DR200 when I was in highschool it was a pain to start being an old 4stroke heavy and didn't seem well balanced the KDX is a great starter bike. Has great low end power so its forgiving while youre learning and its more than enough power once you get good that you never grow out of it.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

great lakes dual sporters?
that puts you guys in my neck of the woods

let me know when you want to go riding, maybe we can meet up sometime

Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

algreen wrote:I'm the brother in-law. :)
Its a bice bike i bought from a fellow rider in the Great lakes Dual Sport club. Came with a new clutch, Dyna Ring auto clutch (removed so he can learn to clutch properly), gear oil, brake fluid, coolant, tires are good, carb is jetted nicely by the PO, 30mm risers, pro tapers, TT computer, FMF Gnarly pipe, stiffer springs from FRP with a couple shims removed, lights work and ready to ride!
Nice of you to sign up to help your bro-in-law out! Welcome to both of you! Bike looks great! I assume you were instrumental in the bike shopping process. Looks like you did well!
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

Julien D wrote:
algreen wrote:I'm the brother in-law. :)
Nice of you to sign up to help your bro-in-law out! Welcome to both of you! Bike looks great! I assume you were instrumental in the bike shopping process. Looks like you did well!
Yes, very cool! Welcome, both of you, to the forum, and pegordon, welcome to riding! So much fun to be had especially when you have some good and knowledgeable riding buds.
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Welcome, and congrats. Drop the Dynaring back in, your progression will be much quicker and with it the KDX is an unstoppable, unstallable beast. You don't spend a lot of time clutching a KDX anyway, doesn't require the feathering skills of a MX bike to keep power down. If you always ride with it you won't miss the clutch. And its' an easy skill to pick up later if you change rides. Gear is a good first purchase, but an even better one is a manual...your bike will thank you for it. KDX is one of the best to learn maintenance on, simple, bullet proof, and you'll find nearly every question you'll ever have answered on here somewhere. Now get out and get that bike dirty!
pegordon

Post by pegordon »

Thanks again for all the tips! bufftester, is there a free PDF version out there somewhere? I seem to only be coming up with manuals for sale.