Hi from NJ

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Grant2k

Hi from NJ

Post by Grant2k »

Good morning from central NJ. First, I'll apoligize for the long winded introduction. My name's Grant and I just picked up a 1997 200 last night. I paid too much, but the bike is in good shape and I wanted it, and there is a premium that goes along with finding a street titled dirt bike in New Jersey.

I'm not new to motorcycles, but this is my first real dirt bike. My whole life my dad and brother and I have been into cars and stuff, but I was really the only one in my family with an interest in bikes. I've always wanted a dirt bike but growing up in suburbs never had a place to ride or anyone to take me someplace to ride, or the money to do it. Even when I moved to a more rural part of the state in middle school I still didn't have anything to ride or a place to really ride it. I had a three wheeler for a while and a dr125 that I never used much, then in college finally got my first street bike, a 1972 CB450 (i'm only 29 so it was old when I got it), which I still have and now also have a Ducati Multistrada 620 and a Sportster. I've worked at 2 bike shops and ride just about every nice day over 45 degrees or so, so I'm not new to bikes. I finally decided to stop dreaming about trail riding and find myself a bike I can ride legally in NJ or anywhere else. I was really looking for a DRZ400 but found this KDX200 for a much better price than any DRZ and after researching the bike fell in love with the idea of the KDX, so I went for it.

The seller said he personally knew every previous owner of the bike (there have been 3) and they are all older guys from his enduro club, so I believe the bike has been well cared for. Overall it is pretty clean for a used dirtbike. I don't know the history of all the modifications, but it looks to have some dirtbike standards: FMF pipe, FMF isde silencer, MSR bark busters, Renthal bars, skid plate, aluminum radiator guards, but besides that looks pretty stock. There is a Race Tech sticker near the headstock so I don't know if the springs were changed or it just has a sticker. It runs great once it's warm, but it could probably use a carb clean, and the headlight switch is broken. The light works but you have to hold the switch down, so an easy fix. Also, could anybody tell me what pipe this bike actually has on it (picture below)?

I will definitely be turning here for some advice and have already read some good stuff. I plan to rewind the stator and add a dual sport kit just for taking it around town once in a while. Not that I really plan on doing any real road miles on it, I just like the idea of knowing I could.

So anyway, that's my long winded "hello", and thanks for the site. If there's anybody around from NJ or eastern PA (I'm in Flemington) who would like to meet up and show me around some trails sometime, please let me know!

Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Hi from NJ

Post by Julien D »

Hello, and welcome! Congrats on your purchase. Looks very clean for a 97. I believe the pipe is an FMF Fatty, however, I'm not sure I've ever seen the "fat boy" stamp before. Should be a top end oriented pipe.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Julien D wrote:Hello, and welcome! Congrats on your purchase. Looks very clean for a 97. I believe the pipe is an FMF Fatty, however, I'm not sure I've ever seen the "fat boy" stamp before. Should be a top end oriented pipe.
There was talk about this before and I think it had something to do with being an early "Fatty" called the "Fat Boy" but then something about Harley Davidson was using that name for one of their bikes, or the typical rider of a Hardly. I think.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

rbates9 wrote:
Julien D wrote:Hello, and welcome! Congrats on your purchase. Looks very clean for a 97. I believe the pipe is an FMF Fatty, however, I'm not sure I've ever seen the "fat boy" stamp before. Should be a top end oriented pipe.
There was talk about this before and I think it had something to do with being an early "Fatty" called the "Fat Boy" but then something about Harley Davidson was using that name for one of their bikes, or the typical rider of a Hardly. I think.
Yep. HD has the "Fat Boy" moniker trademarked.

Anyways, welcome to the forum. I'm sure we will do our best to help! :partyman:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Postigo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postigo »

congrats you cant go wrong with a KDX and welcome to kdxrider. That bike looks great :supz:
The Doctor says I have multiple personality desorder... But we are not agree...