Finally found a KDX

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Finally found a KDX

Post by ICRage42 »

Hello from Cleveland Ohio

I am the youngest in the family so I always got boned in the hammy down bike department. My brothers had hondas suzukis yamaha dirtbikes. I got at first a mini bike then a suzuki 100 roadbike. After that a honda four forty. Rode them all in the dirt.....bit too embarassed to ride them on the road. The suzuki 100 roadbike I completely beat the crap out of. Every turn signal was tore off or embedded in a tree. I never really went slow on it and surprisingly it was so narrow that it handled well in woods. Not much fun to jump with crummy suspension but helluva trails bike. It was later donated to a woman to help her learn how to ride.......I can still feel the feelings of manhood return when that bike left the driveway.

Was suppose to get the brothers yz250 but he blew it up and took most of the jug with it. I got the ol mans commuter honda 440 streetbike. Once again rode it in the fields a ton. Not much of a trails bike too wide and heavy but in the fields oh boy you knew when the four carbs are workin. Found out with that power I could clear the neighbors pond. Slope to slope it was a perfect jump. Man I jumped that pond and it was a total Fonzi over the shark moment. Hahahaha. Till Mom seen my helmet above the tree line then I was grounded for two summers. So that ended my youth riding days for a while.

With that and getting my first car.....didnt get boned here. I got my dads 1974 nova. That and a back seat really is all a kid at 16 thinks of. So didnt ride for some time.

While years later in 97 or so I hooked up with an old classmate that had a similar nova to look for parts and thats when the magic happened. Him and his dad had two kdxs. His was the newer 97 and he asked if I wanted to ride it. Man did I ever. Rode that thing almost all day. It felt like the bike I wanted all along. Felt right , handled very good .... light. I looked through the years and couldnt really find one in this area.

The years went by and well like anything we tend to forget. So me and my brother are sitting in the garage and for once I had a little bit of cash. Was looking on craigslist for some time was gonna pick up a quad or something. I was on there for weeks looking before and that night ..........1995 kdx for sale and looked to be in good shape. Went and bought it. He just posted it about 10 mins prior.

Brother rode it and I checked it out and watched it down the road. Sounded really healthy maybe a little rich but the owner said he put weed wipper gas in it :rolleyes: I couldnt get the seat off because the po had replaced almost every bolt and it was various sizes metric and standard. But the guy said he went through it and it was all ok. I talked him down because of not being able to check it all out. He agreed. I looked at the aftermarket parts on it and if all isnt well then I would be able to get my money back.

Got the bike home and took it for a spin. Went down the street a bit and turned around and came back and front wheel locks up on me and throws me into road. Here the speedo was seized and bearing and actually had spun around and when it hit the fork stop it was like a locked front brake.

After a glorious stay in the hospital I immediately got to tearing down bike. Found out the problems and have been trading or finding parts but I am at a pretty good point right now. But Im going through the whole bike found out I had a mouse nest in the air filter. Surprisingly it looked better then the filter. I pretty much have alot done but theres a ton to do yet but I am going to rebuild it and have alot of fun on it.

My brothers were like can we ride it.......told em the 440 is still in the barn. :lol:

Im gonna post pics and do a write up of the rebuild as I go along. I took some pics but they are on my phone and I am going to take some with digital camera.

This site is extremely the best and with a great community !! :supz:
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
Velocity_Stack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Finally found a KDX

Post by Velocity_Stack »

Welcome to the site fellow KDX'er.

I'm sure we all look forward to your build up and coming.

You have found the right place for tips, tricks and just the general info you need to get things going on your end.

Did I say "Welcome to the family"?
Postigo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Finally found a KDX

Post by Postigo »

Hi and welcome to KDXrider family :supz:
The Doctor says I have multiple personality desorder... But we are not agree...
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Finally found a KDX

Post by SS109 »

Welcome to the forum! :partyman:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R