Kawi's in boxes...now where to go?

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
jbg_3d
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jbg_3d »

My buddy got a wild hair and has decided to build a KX/KDX hybrid and use his 89 KDX (bored to a 240) motor. I rode this bike all last year and was going to buy it from him for this next season. Well....now that's off the market BUT we have found many, many more parts/frames/motors/etc...in boxes around the area. So here lies my dilemma, and questions for the KDX gods.

I have a couple 95+ frames, and a couple bottom-ends and one good (H) 200 cylinder. I can buy a 220 complete (minus carb) from a guy down the street and use that, or do I send my cylinder away and build a 200, or bore it larger? Anyone use Fredette Racing? What carb option do I go with?

I have lots of options and haven't committed any direction. I'm new to the dirt scene, been riding street for years. I want low-end power, a good dependable woods bike, and a fun ride for a 220# rider at 4000+ feet in elevation out here in Montana. What is the perfect combo?

Thanks, I've enjoyed the site thus far.

-Ben
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Kawi's in boxes...now where to go?

Post by bufftester »

If the price on the 220 is good, I'd go with it and find a carb. Building a bike piecemeal will nickel and dime you quicker than you realize (note to self: next hybrid start with 2 complete bikes). I am 225# and have taken my 220 from sea level to 7000+ and enjoyed every mile. As for low-end, dependable, fun woods bike...well, you already found this site :-) From a maintenance perspective, the later model As and Hs will have parts available for a while yet. Just my $.02
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

if the price is right I'd buy the 220 (assuming it's mostly complete) to convert it to a 200, get the head to rbd to do his maigic, get a new carb (ding ding ding: airstriker!) get a top end kit and run it like i stole it.
with all that you'd most likely have more low end than a rbd moded 220.
Flamesuit on :busted:
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

When RB did my carb I asked him about doing the head (200) and he said it probably wouldn't make that much difference. He said it was a better mod for the 220.

I have a 200 and have had thoughts of finding a 220 cylinder to give a try because I tend to use the bottom end much more then the top end so any extra torque would be better then having some extra top end. My .02.

But as said before I would stick with the 95+ bikes for the same reason as said before.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I sent my head to RB, mostly because it needed to be repaired anyway. He did his thing, and I definitely noticed a difference. Yeah, it's not a huge difference. I guess for the price, if you're doing the carb anyway, might as well have the head done. It does help.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

never ridden a 220 BUT i do have a 200 and a freshly rebuild 200
the rebuild had been bored over 2 MM which puts it closer to the 220 bore than the 200 bore and i must say IT RIPS
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
jbg_3d
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jbg_3d »

So...what "stock" carb is best to start with, the older 200, new 200, or 220 carb?
jbg_3d
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jbg_3d »

Also, I've heard from other circles that Fredette is THE guy to go to for cylinder/head/carb work, yet on here RB is GOD. Any thoughts? Thanks for the good info guys, I'll post build pics of both the hybrid and mine as we get dirty in the shop.
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

jbg_3d wrote:Also, I've heard from other circles that Fredette is THE guy to go to for cylinder/head/carb work, yet on here RB is GOD. Any thoughts? Thanks for the good info guys, I'll post build pics of both the hybrid and mine as we get dirty in the shop.
Fredette wont do work on alot of bikes. at least from the emails ive sent him he wont even touch my bike
If you ain't Mixin Gas, You ain't Haulin Ass!
doctord23
Supporting Member

Post by doctord23 »

I have had excellent results with the 220 engine: RB head mod is critical, either a stock 200 H-model 35mm Keihin carb or RB modded carb or air striker (I have tried them all), FMF desert pipe. It doesn't have the explosive power hit of the 200, but it has power from bottom to top and does come on when the kips opens. It revs out on top like a 200.
My Team Green:
2002 KX-KDX 220
2000 KDX 220
2003 KLX 300 DS
1988 White KDX 200C3
1984 KX500 (original owner)
1996 Honda Magna V4
2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT
jbg_3d
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jbg_3d »

Okay, so the 220 is out of the question ($$$), time to gather up my 200 parts and send'em off to RB it looks like...
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

The general consensus on here from most people who have all the bells and whistles is:

Leave the cyl alone....If you must port/go big bore there are mixed opinions on here of Fredette, Eric Gorr, etc, do your research. If you are going to do cyl/bore work, let that guy do your head!

Stock cyl, RB is indeed proven to do stellar head and carb mods. If you are working a 220, the 33mm carb should be swapped for a 35, or just send to to RB they all come back bored to 36, slide cut, roughly jetted, etc.

Install pipe of choice.

DFIII Reeds seem to take to the KDX very well, and in conjunction with RB's mods can provide loads of bottom end, even if you chose to build a rev-piped 200 (least bottom).
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
jbg_3d
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jbg_3d »

Does RB bore cylinders and sell new pistons?
jbg_3d
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jbg_3d »

Cylinders sent off to Powerseal, heads and carbs sent to RB. 240 big bore motor mounted in KX frame, awaiting splitting the 95 KDX apart for bearings to build that one. An 89 is getting put back together for the lady. Will start a build post with pics soon.

Thanks for all the info guys and gals, this site is one of the best forums I've been a part of.