New to Me KDX200 - Columbia SC

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
dirtysouthjacket

Post by dirtysouthjacket »

HI, I just bought a street titled 97 KDX200 in Ohio and trailered it back down to Columbia SC. I'm super excited about this bike. I've only been riding about a year. Started on a KLR650 dropped it over a dozen times, then decided to upgrade to a 2011 BMW F800GS. Its been a great bike as well, but decided I needed something to really learn how to get down and dirty and fast in the woods. After a lot of reading and research I decided on the KDX. The bike looks to be in great shape and the only reason the PO sold is because he has a banged up left hand for clutching.

I'm really excited about this bike! I've only ridden on it once since this weekend around the block a little bit. :cry: My next few weekends are tied up, but I'm really itching to get it out on some trails. Unforunately the OHV trails close to me are closed until March. There is a good oudoor park that is about 45 mins away that I will have to get too soon. These short days during the week are killing me!

I spend most of my time on ADVRider.com, but will be over here a good bit as I learn. Thanks in advance for all the future help! :bravo:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: New to Me KDX200 - Columbia SC

Post by Julien D »

Wow, that thing is super clean! Congrats on the purchase, and welcome to KDXRIDER!
dirtysouthjacket

Well so far, I managed to half rip off the spare tube bag on a tree. But only really ridden tight woods on it once so far. The rest just gravel and powerlines around the house. Hopefully in the next two weeks, I should be able to do a few more trips to the local riding spots. I'm also probably going to do the Steele Creek Race in Morganton NC in a few weeks for my first race. :shock:
dirtysouthjacket

Playing around at Carolina Adventure World yesterday. Rode about 80 miles between the past two days. I'm pretty beat!

Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

that hole isnt that deep, why did you get off!? lol how do you like the bag on the front fender? Is that the spare toob bag u were talking about? I wouldnt mind putting a bag on the front if it secured good and was durable.
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
dirtysouthjacket

Haha, well it's hard to see in the pic, but the rear wheel was no longer touching down. I had really good r momentum going into the hole and as I was coming back out, the rut was so deep that swing arm rode up on top of the sides of the rut. Bike stopped almost instantly. Almost went over the handlebars! Had to lift the bike out of the rut to get it free.

I like front back. Haven't carried much in it, but am planning on levers and a few tools. It's made by tusk and the previous owner cut notches to help hold it. It hasn't moved yet! Let me know if you need closer pics of the setup.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

haha im just bustin your balls man! I got a little squriley in some ruts goin through a mud hole like that a couple months ago. I went to put my foot down in the water to stabilize myself and guess where i tried placing my foot? right into a deeper rut that I couldnt see through the muddy water. Down went me and the bike completely under water lol. When I stood up and turned around, I saw that I had the whole group laughing histerically... glad it was funny to someone! haha

Yea dude, I wouldnt mind a pic of them notches. I'd really like to know how it holds up for you. I think I saw those on Dennis Kirk (could have been another online parts store) and the reviews were pretty bad. Everyone was saying that the Tusk bags don't hold up? Id like to use mine for the same stuff. I got a hard waterproof container for my rear bag so I put my phone and cigs in there... now I need a new place for my tools and levers lol
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
dirtysouthjacket

I've only done a couple hundred miles with it so far, but it seems to be doing fine. Here are some pics. Let me know if you try it out!