Future KDX rider

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Newt462

Future KDX rider

Post by Newt462 »

Hello from sunny AZ. I recently moved to AZ from AK. (military) So i was looking for another bike to ride with my son as he learns on the CRF50. something that i can be mellow with him and yet something fun when im out with friends. my CR125 is too aggressive for me to put-put around on yet i didnt want a 4 stroke. im pretty much retired from MX. what i i found was a 2002 KDX 200 on craigs list that i am going to go test ride on saturday. asking price is $1k seems like a nice ride for the $. is there anything other than the obvious i should be looking for? and problems related to this model of bike? im not worried about a rebuild or other simple maintenance. I dont want to Low-ball the seller but is $1k a good price? thanks in advance for any advice and i hope to soon be a proud owner of my 2nd kawi.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Future KDX rider

Post by rbates9 »

Sounds like a good price if the bike is in good shape. KDX's are pretty reliable bikes in general. Just look for the normal things and go from there. Any time someone sells something they ask more then they will take for it so don't be afraid to go a little low to start with. The most they can do is say no.

There is a new owner post in the general Q&A section that might give a few more things to look at.

If you post a link to the CL add we might be able to give a little more input.

P.S. Welcome
Newt462

Re: Future KDX rider

Post by Newt462 »

well i pulled the trigger on the KDX, ill say it is a fun little bike. it pulls smooth through all gears with no sudden surges in the powerband. i will say the front end is VERY soft. new springs needed for sure. plus to top it off the guy i bought it from sold me a pair of A-star tech 10 boots. they had 2 rides on them. $100. what a deal!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Congrats!
Newt462

Post by Newt462 »

Just picked up a set of new tires, went with the Maxxis IT, they seem to be an all around good tire, and the price wasnt half bad. however its been a while and i forgot how much of a PITA it is to spoon them on my self. at least i saved a few bucks in install charges. $ saved can be better spent late on i guess.
kashola
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Future KDX rider

Post by kashola »

Welcome and thanks for your service!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Future KDX rider

Post by SS109 »

What area ya in, Tucson or Phoenix? Anyways, if you bought the Maxxis IT for the front you will find it isn't very good here in the AZ desert. The Maxxis SI works way better. The IT works pretty good for the rear and actually lasts whereas other tires start to disintegrate after the first ride!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Newt462

Post by Newt462 »

Im just south of Tucson, Sahuarita actually. so far my rides have been pretty tame, still teaching my son to ride his 50. for what i needed in tired these aint half bad, the front does feel a little loose in the sand, but ill play with tire pressure (softer) and im sure ill find something that works.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Future KDX rider

Post by rbates9 »

If you have the stock tire on the bike then that would be the first thing I would replace. I can't see any type of riding that that tire would be good for.