New guy from northern kentucky

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
450clown

Post by 450clown »

Hey guys, just thought I'd check in. I'm currently not a kdx guy, but what brings me here is that my dad is. Wanting to upgrade his bike for him this winter while he's off for shoulder surgery( the 2nd time!) u figured this would be the best place to start looking for mods to do to his 91 kdx 200. Thinking kx forks right off the bat, but thanks in advance for the schoolin' I'm about to get!
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: New guy from northern kentucky

Post by dfeckel »

Welcome aboard. You'll find lots of great info in here with a few searches. If you can't find it on your own, there are lots of friendly folks who will chime in to give you answers.

KX forks are a big upgrade for KDXs, but they will likely need springing and valving appropriate for the type of riding your dad does. For rooty, snotty low speed stuff, KX forks are too stiff without revalving/springing.

Motor wise, the usual stuff is very effective at waking up the KDX. STart first, however, with checking the power valves. E series powervalves have a tendency to break periodically, and if yours are broken already, just putting fresh ones in will make big power gains. AFter that, you're looking at a pipe and removal of the airbox lid, plus rejetting. This makes a big difference as well. AFter that, you can look into the RB Designs head and carburetor modifications for more snap, along with new reeds. A fully RB'd motor is quite powerful.

Anyway, lots of great information on this site. Just take a look around.
David Eckel
450clown

Post by 450clown »

Thanks for the tips on upgrades! Yeah the motor seems to be in pretty good shape this bike was actually a barn find ( one of the good ones with o.e. Tires) yeah re valve and springs a must on anything! We have done all our suspensions over the Years on our bikes, there's just a major lack of adjustment on these it seems. But the power and size is perfect for him . It does seem a little on the light end on gnarly rocky hills. But hey it's a 200 and I think your right about a pipe/ silencer. Any quick suggestions for one off the cuff?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

FMF woods pipe. Silencer would be just for show.
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Hey Clown, where do u live? Im in Independence. Might be able to help u out.
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Rick wrote:Hey Clown, where do u live? Im in Independence. Might be able to help u out.
:naughty: there is no bashing and name calling on this forum :snooty:
please keep it clean :busted: