proud papa of new kdx in AZ

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
theik

Post by theik »

yo! found this site and loved all the information so i signed up. been out working so havent had time to post but i will soon. picked up a barely used 2000 kdx 220 for $800.00 usd. The kid who owned it put a procircuit works pipe and silencer on it, rode it a couple times and stored it. The bike was covered in construction dust/debris and fuel was rancid. I took it home and soaked it in Mr.Moto pink stuff and hosed it off an hour later and "BAM". looked pretty good. I removed carb and soaked it in brake cleaner, and flushed the gas tank with brake cleaner. A little fresh fuel and 3 kicks for a very nice bike. I didnt even mess with jetting because it felt like it was running nice and lean. I slapped on the rg plate, "required here in AZ" and took her out to wildcat for a romp. I ride and race a 09 YZ250 yami 2t with all the desert mods so I figured the kdx was going to be a joke by comparison. Well, all I can say is WOW. My first ride was amazing fun. The bike is probably one of the most ballanced machines I have ever ripped on. Snappy throttle, tons of torque, and no flat spots in the midrange. My only issue was the front end. High speed deep whoops WILL kill you on these bikes. I couldnt get the front forks adjusted stiff enough for my style of riding. So with a little research on kdxrider.net, I decided to mouse the front end. On ebay, I found 04 kx125 forks and trees for 80 bucks, and a 05 kx250 front rim for 60 bucks. I noticed that some of the front rims from certain years of kx, have a round shaped rim geometry which didnt match the shape of the rear "square" shape rim design. The 05 that i bought did match the rear rim. Brakes mounted perfectly on the new fork leg. The kdx stem and bearings must be removed and then repressed into the kx tripple. No problems with the gap on the steering tube using washers. Only probelm is the 05 kx axle that came with the front rim, is too short for the new forks. New axle on the way and hopefully no problems with spacers but spacers can be easily made. I will post pics when this new favorite of mine is complete. Also, I found that because of the wheelbase being short, add some link to the chain and slide that rear wheel as far back as it can go. This really improves the travel and stability of the bike. Im not sure how things will feel when new front end is complete, because the rake will be affected. Lots of suspension adjustments in my near future. Very happy to have found this site and thank you for letting me share my experience with all of you...
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: proud papa of new kdx in AZ

Post by Julien D »

Welcome, and congrats! Sounds like you scored a great bike for a great price. One note, be very careful soaking the PWK in anything. There is a rubber jet block gasket which does not fare well when submerged. If it came out of the brake cleaner undamaged you got very lucky. You will know if not, as the bike will have a rich condition that you can not solve by jetting. Fuel gets pulled in around the jet block rather than being metered through the jets properly.

Good job on the fork swap as well! Glad our little forum was of assistance to you, and glad you decided to join up!
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

something else to "worry" about is the grenade that hides inside that cylinder in the disguise of a stock piston

the 220 is notorious for cracking the piston and scatering debris into the bottom end
i would seriously consider checking to see if the bike still has the stock unit in it and if it does you'r due for a new top end

as for the front end, good call, i have a 99 KX 125 front end on mind and it makes a world of diffence
the geometry of the bike should not change, permitted that you measured the distance from the top of the axle to the bottom of the handlebars and make sure you drop the KX front end in deep enough to be on the same level again

glad to hear your rims match, mine dont but thats all good, no one has noticed it as of yet ;)
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
theik

Post by theik »

good to know about the brake cleaner and poss damage. keeping fingers crossed. question: has anyone swaped out the kdx seat for a more narrow kx seat? it seems that the kx seats may be able to be fitted with some minor mods for support. anyone??? thanks...
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Welcome! Maybe sometime we can hook up and go for a ride!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

SS109 wrote:Welcome! Maybe sometime we can hook up and go for a ride!

hook up AND go for a ride?

wow, your dont think your coming on a little strong there?
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

diymirage wrote:

hook up AND go for a ride?

wow, your dont think your coming on a little strong there?
Haha, funny. :butthead: :kick:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

BAHAHAHAHA!!!!
theik

Post by theik »

ya im always out there. usually wildcat or sycamore. have you ridden cement creek? i think perfect for the kdx type bikes. send # and lets ride. the kdx is almost complete. fork tubes were advertised on ebay as 04 kx125 front end but only the tubes were 04. the clamps turned out to be 03 which are wider. axle from the 05 kx250 wheel was an inch too short. 04 axle that i ordered was too short as well. 03 axle was a winner and so were the 03 spacers. odometer didnt go back on of course, but kdx brakes mounted right up. everything looks and works great. oil change in the forks and set to factory spec adjustments on rebound and compression. can adjust from there. fork seals not leaking. next is lower fork guards and somehow atatch the brake line to the guard and keep it imobilized so it will push the loose up when forks are compressed. minor mods here. will post some pretty pics when its all dialed in... :grin:
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

WELCOME!
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project