40 yrs old and riding again!

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
pastorbuck
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by pastorbuck »

Hi folks. Last year my 13 yr old boy wanted to get into riding, so we bought him an old beat up kx 100 and had a good time fixing it up together. There was no way I was going to get a bike for him while I sat back and watched. So after 20 years of not riding, I picked up an '03 KDX 220r with less than 100 miles on it. The bike was in MINT condition and bone stock. It had been sitting in this guy's garage since 2003. The only mods I did to it the first year were to swap out the stock piston for a weisco, swap the rear shock spring for one lighter, and install a skid plate. This past week I finally put on an fmf gnarly woods pipe and turbine core silencer. I noticed a significant difference in the power - glad I did it. I plan on doing other mods over winter, like the RB head mod and carb mod, and carbon fiber reeds. Other mods I want to do when I get the money are: front fork swap, bars, bark busters, and a magura hydraulic clutch. I have questions with regard to all of these, but I'll search the posts before I ask. Well this post is long enough. Just wanted to say "hi" and say that I love my kdx and I'm having a blast riding again.
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

As a fellow 40yr old, welcome. Enjoy!
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
cragwl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cragwl »

Same story here. Would like to do the same mods to my 220 over the winter. What fun it is.
My son relates to me on a whole new level. With a 14 year old, that's pretty cool.
Your in for the time of your life :bravo:
In dog beers, I've only had one.
the machinist
Supporting Member

Re: 40 yrs old and riding again!

Post by the machinist »

+1
Seriously if you have to donate blood to get bark busters DO IT! If anyone doesn't agree I can send you a personal email of my index finger With Bark busters. No joke sir!
-Matt
CoronasAndChips
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by CoronasAndChips »

I bent my bars last week when I smacked a tree along side the trail. If it wasn't for my Moose Racing bark busters my left hand would have got SMASHED. Make those your first upgrade.
Elbow grease contains no trans fat!
CoronasAndChips on XBox Live
BFBC2, BF3, COD 2,3,4, Black Ops, Red Dead Redemption, Tiger Woods 08' and 09' and Forza 2..... mostly
pastorbuck
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by pastorbuck »

Concerning bark busters: I currently have the stock bars. Should I upgrade my bars at the same time I get the busters? If so, what are some recommendations? Should I go to a fat bar of some sort and change the clamps or stick to the standard size?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I would recommend a good set of aluminum bars from your brand of choice. Just remember you get what you pay for. And fat bars or standard bars have very little difference as far as pros and cons. If you want to get the new mounts for the fat bars then go for it if not just stick with 7/8" bars. One other thing to keep in mind is that once you start adding things like bark busters and other bar accessories then you are that much more committed to that size down the road. Some things like a steering dampener will go on better with fat bars if you are thinking about one at all.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Welcome!
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Laxgreg

Post by Laxgreg »

Oops...
Last edited by Laxgreg on 09:21 am Aug 24 2012, edited 1 time in total.
Laxgreg

Post by Laxgreg »

Welcome, Pastor Buck! Back to riding after a brief 25 year hiatus myself at 44 years old. Also picked up a mint, stock, appx 5-10 hour 2003 220R and been having a great time throwing wrenches at it. Only ridden once since picking it up last month but it was a blast. Enjoy the experience with your son, this fun bike and this forum. Lots of great input, knowledge and wit. Again, welcome!!