Hello from Fresno

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
zmeyerb

Hello from Fresno

Post by zmeyerb »

Hey my name is herb and I have a kdx 220 r 05 and I haven't rode in 2 years due to debt and other problems. But now I am clear and ready to get it running again. My future goal is to start MX practicing at a little MX park near where I live now. And for woods riding.Where should I start with getting the KDX going again.
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

I would start by draining the fuel out and replacing it with fresh premix. Then pull the carb. Take out all the jets and soak them in carb cleaner. Spray carb cleaner into every hole you can find in the carb and chase each passage with a single strand of copper wire stripped from a piece of electrical wire. The copper is soft enough to not mess up the aluminum of the carb body or the brass jets, but strong enough to help dislodge gummed up fuel.

Check your airbox to make sure no rodents have taken up residence. I just rebuilt a KDX that had a mouse nest sucked into the bottom end after a winter in storage, so it's not as remote a possibility as you think. Clean and oil the air filter.

Drain and change the tranny oil.

Drain and change the coolant.

Air up the tires, lube the chain. Have fun!

Once you get it running again, then you can start thinking about the other stuff that may need attention, like your chassis bearings (steering, swingarm, linkage, wheel), brake fluid, fork oil, shock freshening. But all that stuff is secondary to getting the motor going, if you ask me.
David Eckel
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

Herb, great advice there from dfeckel. Not much I can add except ... Welcome!!
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

Welcome to KDXRider, Herb! :supz:

I may use that advice myself, dfeckel. I'm still learning, ya know. :grin:
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly