Hello from Lawrenceburg, TN!

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
tnkdx200

Hello from Lawrenceburg, TN!

Post by tnkdx200 »

Hello from Lawrenceburg, TN! That's Southern Middle tn for most since I doubt anyone has ever heard of it. LOL! It's where David Crockett lived!! LOL! Anyway, Hello All, new to the sight, but not new to riding. 43 and been riding al my life. Ya'll come down now! Ya Heeya? Youtube Westpoint tn for details of available trials and so forth.
Terry
Only those who push going too far can possibly know just how far one can go!
1999 KDX200
Gnarly woods pipe
RB Design Carb and slide mod
Boyesen 607 reeds
Stock Silencer
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Welcome!!!
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

Hey Terry....I'm just up the road from you in Franklin.
I ride Westpoint from time to time.
Welcome to the site....tone of KDX knowledge here.
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

Welcome tnKDX :grin:
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Welcome! :partyman:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
tnkdx200

Post by tnkdx200 »

Hey, thanks for the warm welcome guys! I'm searching thru questions and so forth on here. I've had my 99 KDX for a couple of years and I love it, but still have some bugs to work out of it. When i got the bike, someone who was clueless had worked on it and it had serious issus, but I've all but gtten those things straightened out. The problem I have now is that when riding it, once I'm in 6th gear, and cruising at about 1/4 throttle or so, it seems to surge on the power. I can't remember what Main jet that I have in there, but seems like no matter what I try, that's the one issue that remains constant. The RB Carb and slide mod helped tremendously, but I can't seem to eliminate it. The needle clip is in the top position(Lean as I can make it on the needle) my air screw is 2 and a half turns out, which seems to be where it runs best. My low end torque is awesome and thru the gears it's a beast, but the fact that it has this surge is telling me that it still has power that I'm not getting. It's for the most part pretty smooth, but as it surges, it'll miss here and there. It doesn't do it as I'm accelerating so it's just about got to be carb issues causing it. The mods that I have are Woods Gnarley pipe, RB Carb and slide, Boyesen 607 reeds, and wiseco piston and rings. The airbox has the snorkel removed. I thought about shooting Ron a message to ask his advice as I know he is the wizard when it comes to KDX Carbs. I can live with it like this if I have too, but I'd really like to clear it up if it's at all possible. It does seem to still have the spooge coming from the stock silencer so I know I'm still a little rich, and that may also be it. Gas and oil is fresh, plug is new, and airfilter is clean. It does leak a little gas thru the overflow when it's leaning, but not when th bike is sitting straight up and it's only a drop here and there and not a consistent stream so I'm lost. Any suggesions?
Terry
1999 KDX200
Gnarly woods pipe
Boyesen 607 reeds
Stock Silencer
tnkdx200

Post by tnkdx200 »

Hey, thanks for the warm welcome guys! I'm searching thru questions and so forth on here. I've had my 99 KDX for a couple of years and I love it, but still have some bugs to work out of it. When i got the bike, someone who was clueless had worked on it and it had serious issus, but I've all but gtten those things straightened out. The problem I have now is that when riding it, once I'm in 6th gear, and cruising at about 1/4 throttle or so, it seems to surge on the power. I can't remember what Main jet that I have in there, but seems like no matter what I try, that's the one issue that remains constant. The RB Carb and slide mod helped tremendously, but I can't seem to eliminate it. The needle clip is in the top position(Lean as I can make it on the needle) my air screw is 2 and a half turns out, which seems to be where it runs best. My low end torque is awesome and thru the gears it's a beast, but the fact that it has this surge is telling me that it still has power that I'm not getting. It's for the most part pretty smooth, but as it surges, it'll miss here and there. It doesn't do it as I'm accelerating so it's just about got to be carb issues causing it. The mods that I have are Woods Gnarley pipe, RB Carb and slide, Boyesen 607 reeds, and wiseco piston and rings. The airbox has the snorkel removed. I thought about shooting Ron a message to ask his advice as I know he is the wizard when it comes to KDX Carbs. I can live with it like this if I have too, but I'd really like to clear it up if it's at all possible. It does seem to still have the spooge coming from the stock silencer so I know I'm still a little rich, and that may also be it. Gas and oil is fresh, plug is new, and airfilter is clean. It does leak a little gas thru the overflow when it's leaning, but not when th bike is sitting straight up and it's only a drop here and there and not a consistent stream so I'm lost. Any suggesions?
Terry
1999 KDX200
Gnarly woods pipe
Boyesen 607 reeds
Stock Silencer
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

air leak?
only in 6th? not in any other gear running the same constant speed and throttle position?
Don't jet by the amount of spooge you get, it can be misleading, check jets and needle section for the proper way to do it, but it seems you're good on the pilot already.
tnkdx200

Post by tnkdx200 »

That's kinda what I'm thinking too. I just wonder if there might be a crack in the intake boot. I said it only happens in 6th gear, but it's possible that 6th just happens to be the one that I cuise in when I'm on the road. I'm sure it happens in other gears, I jst don't stay in them long enough to know and 6th forces the engine to stay in one RPM rage for a longer period of time. If I hit a bump in any other gear, it takes off with the movement of my hand on the throttle. If I could get this one little issue straightened out, boy I'd be in high cotton, cuz this little sucker flies everywhere else. And honestly, I'm wondering if it might be that hte float isn't doing what it's suppose to and causing just enough havoc to be a pain in my back side. LOL! Thanks for the good info though!
Terry
1999 KDX200
Gnarly woods pipe
Boyesen 607 reeds
Stock Silencer
tnkdx200

Post by tnkdx200 »

I found the issue guys, I rode for about 2 hours on Saturday and the float must have been stuck in there somewhere cuz the bike started acting just the way it was suppose to as I was coming back down the driveway. I asume it must have been the float cuz it stopped peeing when I parked it. It had been setting for a year so I'm sure there must have been some varnish setting up in the carb after not being roade regularly for so long. Anyway, it's running like a champ now! Woohoo!!! Thanks for all the helpful advice guys!
Terry
1999 KDX200
Gnarly woods pipe
Boyesen 607 reeds
Stock Silencer