Dirt Noob in VA

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
pacadermng67

Dirt Noob in VA

Post by pacadermng67 »

Hey there,

I just purchased a 02 KDX 200 after deciding I wanted to begin to ride offroad. I am 22 and have been riding street bikes since I was 17 and just got back from a trip around the country covering 10000 miles. I saw some cool stuff but I also think there are even better things to see that are off the paved roads. I am also looking forward to the challenge of adapting to offroad riding.

Things started off with a bang when I brought the bike I bought an hour ago home. I got out of my car took a look in the trailer and saw a big pool of fork oil. Looks like I am starting off working on the fork seals!

My only problem now is identifying the front forks since they are off a KX and I am not sure which year. My KDX is already an adventure!
Nobody cares about something you havent done.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Welcome!

To help identify the forks you need to measure the diameter of the fork sliders and where the upper and lower clamps clamp on to them. This should be enough info to ID which set you have, or at least a year range, so that you can get the right seals.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
pacadermng67

Post by pacadermng67 »

Thanks for the welcome.

The forks are 46mm. I wasn't sure the best way to describe where the clamps so I figured a picture would help out.

SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

The remark I made about the triple clamps I was referring to the actual diameter of the fork body at those points. I have heard there are different sizes but don't know for sure. What we know now is that your sliders are 46mm so they would be 98-02 KX forks. I'm sure there might be some differences between the years but any seal for those years should work.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

Welcome to the site. I think you have started your offroad adventures in the best way ... KDX style!

I only started riding four years ago, so I can't answer questions; I still ask the dumb questions. ha ha.

But, the rest of the KDXRider.net family is a plethora of knowledge and wisdom, and some are a plethora of sarcasm. :lol:

Glad to have ya!
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Welcome! I have 2000 KX forks and they look from what I can see just like the one's you have. I even still have the second KDX brake line guide ring floating on the brake line still. :lol:

If you take a pic of the fork guards that may help. I think they were the same forks from 99-02 like SS109 said and I think the guids are unique to those years also.
pacadermng67

Post by pacadermng67 »

Thanks guys, it does look like the 99-02 forks. I ordered to fork seals and the tools to do it. Until they get here it looks like I am impatiently gonna tap my foot. I cant wait to take the bike out to the trails.
sped66
Supporting Member

Post by sped66 »

Welcome to the site.
I have friends in northern VA that complain about too few places to ride. Holla if you ever plan to make it to the southern border. Plenty o' trails down here.
In the stable: '00 KDX220R, '02 XR250R
Gone but not forgotten: '80 XR80, '87 XR200R, '94 KDX250, '01 YZ426F, '86 XR220R