New guy in NJ

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
GCE61

New guy in NJ

Post by GCE61 »

Hi all, new guy here,

I always had dirt bikes & motocross bikes. And as my 2 sons got old enough to learn to ride on an OLD XR75 that we rebuilt, I bought my self a 250 to chase them around the woods and I was hooked again!

Over the last 10 years we have bought & sold everything from 50cc's to 250cc bikes to accomodate the growth spurts. The boys are 16 & 18 now, and I just turned 50.... so the garage is seeing some different bikes again.

Since we all have full size bikes now, we are constantly trading off and trying each others rides.

My older son always liked my 97 CR250 that I built into a woods bike with softer suspension, flywheel weight, tuned carb, steel clutch, and a DB Snorkel. His brother wanted his 98 YZ125 with most of the trick stuff I had on my 250. And, since my knees are turning to pudding, I always liked Connors 97 KDX220, and the way it cruised comfortably thru the trails. That KDX is the perfect trail/HS machine!

So, right around Xmas time we all switched. I got the mint 220 that I found him when he wanted a fullsize bike. He's only about 140 soaking wet, so we had the suspension softened up to marshmellow specs.

I put in Racetech fork springs and the shock spring, set the ride height and the bike rides great. We had tuned the carb already so the bike runs clean and crisp. I installed the EE handle bar perches that are offset and space the bars farther away & up- what a difference for a tall rider! I have some 607 reeds that I will install and also a flywheel weight that I haven't put on yet... still debating.

The rest of the bike is basically stock, and pretty well taken care of by the previous owner who rode it around his yard!

It looks like you guys have a pretty good forum here with a ton of info, I can't wait to pick thru the posts and learn some tips.

Greg
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Welcome!

Search RB mods, it makes a great difference.

Have you swaped the piston yet?
92kdxRider
Supporting Member

Post by 92kdxRider »

Welcome to the forums Greg. Fellow NJ KDXer here, glad to see someone else on here from the garden state. Where abouts do you reside?
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

Welcome. Sounds like you may have a bit of knowledge to add as well!
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly
GCE61

Post by GCE61 »

>|<>QBB<
92kdxRider wrote:Welcome to the forums Greg. Fellow NJ KDXer here, glad to see someone else on here from the garden state. Where abouts do you reside?
I'm over in Randolph, close to the college.
GCE61

Post by GCE61 »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:Welcome!

Search RB mods, it makes a great difference.

Have you swaped the piston yet?
I'm not sure- We bought the bike for my son about a year ago and never opened the top end yet. The guy who had it before us was an older guy and liked to tinker, so it's possible he had the top apart. I know there was some "situation" with the stock pistons?? I'll have to do a little searching to se exactly what it was.

I'll take a look at "RB Mods" also, thanks!