Hello from Maine.

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
TD3

Hello from Maine.

Post by TD3 »

Greeting all!

First off, great site! It’s nice to find such a vast resource of information in one place. Compared to other sites the attitude and freedom to post is a welcome relief.

I just got back into the offroad bike scene after a 15 year hiatus. This past fall I purchased a Suzuki JR50 for my then 6 yr old son and a basket case Suzuki DS80 as a winter project for the two of us. Next up was the search for an inexpensive trail bike for myself. My last bike was an 84 YZ125. I knew I didn’t want another high strung MX bike for trail riding. Nor did I want an older (slower) 4 stroke. I spent a number of years drag racing snowmobiles in the grass, snow and on the ice. During that time I spent many hours and $$$ in the shop, dyno rooms and out on the strip searching for that sometimes elusive “little bit more”. Being familiar with 2 strokes my search was narrowed down to a 2 stroke only. I asked around and did a bunch of research and the one bike that seemed to do it all was the KDX.

I decided to start with an older model KDX. I wanted to keep the costs down and take a wait and see approach to re-entering the sport at the ripe young age of 43.

I found an 89KDX in decent shape for winter price of $900 (it was -17f the day I picked it up). Over the long snowy winter I fixed up the KDX a bit. I pulled the motor, replaced the piston, rings, wristpin and cage bearing, just because! Put in Boyeson Power reeds gutted the stock pipe. I also replaced any suspect suspension bearings.

Once spring hit, well, it rained and rained and rained some more. So what’s a guy to do but spend more quality time in the garage? So I picked up a 90KX250 parts bike and started swapping parts around. The bike had a complete front end in good condition right down to the tire. So I swapped it into the KDX. The 90 is a direct bolt in. I know the 90 forks are not as nice as the newer 96 (Jason could offer more here) and up KX’s, but it was still an upgrade and it’s nice to have the rebound adjustments. BTW, the older KX kick starter is also a direct bolt on, knuckle and all.

Well, the weather finally broke and I’ve got to spend some time on the trails. I’m real happy with my purchase and have also talked two of my brother-in-laws into buying bikes! I’m still in the process of ironing out the jetting. CC seems to be the resident jetting guru so I’ve taken his advice and I am real close with a 6.5 slide, 155 main, 42 pilot, AS 1.75 and a CEL #3 needle. I also have a DEK and CEK that I’m going to play with this weekend.

Anyhow, I just wanted to introduce myself and say great job on the site!

-Mike
Last edited by TD3 on 10:15 am Jul 01 2005, edited 1 time in total.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Welcome aboard. Glad you found us and yes CC amounst several others virtually have jetting down to a fine art. I'm sure they will be able to help out in almost any way, and I said 'almost'....

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Hi Mike and Welcome!
Sounds like you have already dove into the greatest kept secret in dirt biking! They are amazing bikes and if Kawasaki was smart... they would of kept refining it!
But since they won't...we will. :lol:

Anything you have questions about or want to discuss... shoot away! We all have something to learn along the way.

Indawoods :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Mike - Welcome to the site, sounds like you and cmot took a pretty similar approach to getting some upgrades to the 89. Gets some pics up for the gallery and don't be a stranger to the post button! :partyman:

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Welcome Mike,
Very sharp to notice CC's talents. That's why he's here and not "there".

Hope to see and hear more from you. Post some photos when you find the time.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the group! It sounds like you made a great choice on bikes, but we may be a bit biased.

On those '90 forks, I have to let you know that there was a safety recall on those. You should not use them. You need to quickly send them to:

1990 KX Fork Safety Recall
c/o Jason
Got You, AL 12345

I gots to get me some of those one day. :mrgreen:

My only experience with the '90 forks is my '90 KX service manual and some online research. From the pictures, they definitely look much more modern than any KDX forks.

The main point is WELCOME to Fantasy Island, I mean the KDXRIDER.NET site. :cool:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
TD3

Gallery started!

Post by TD3 »

I posted a few pics in the gallery, what a great feature!

Jason: I am planning on sending them to you, this winter! Of course, I was planning on having them returned ! :mrgreen: I also have a complete front end from a 92 KDX 250, right down to the ice studded tire, that I'm not sure what to do with. :?
woodbutcher

Post by woodbutcher »

Welcome!
95 200 (EG225)
CR125
CR250
TTR125
TTR125L (All BBR'd Up)
TTR125LE
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I like the way your bike looks! Nice to see you getting your son involved, too. You should have bought a KDX80 for a project bike, though. :razz:

Sounds great on the fork service! Just send me a PM or e-mail whenever you get ready.

You sound spoiled on the fork situation. :grin:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Talent? Ha! That's real funny, ski.

Seen the back of my bike lately? :roll: Obviously, I don't jet by spoo..but the bike sure does run!! :wink:

I claim no expert knowledge on the matter..I just muck around with stuff until it works to suit me (hopefully). Besides, 'expert' by definition (ex=has been, spert=drip under pressure) isn't a good thing anyway.

I look forward to hearing how you like the 'D' needle.

Welcome to the site!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
TD3

Post by TD3 »

Hey CC,

I didn't get a chance to try the DEK this past weekend.

I did however try the CEK. Compared to the CEL it was much more trackable. The CEL seemed to hit a lot harder and didn't like to be "lugged" down, where as the CEK would lug fine. Actually, it would almost bog down low, but yet, still accelerate pretty good. I was able to shift a lot less going in and out of the tight stuff.

I'm going to try the DEK this weekend.
renthal66

Post by renthal66 »

hello everyone, Me and my son age 13 are also starting out fresh this summer. This site is awsome. I picked up a 89 kdx 200 off a friend of mine here in southern Massachusetts and it runs like my 94 cobra mustang. hahaha. maybe even better! My son has a jincheng 70cc that we are trying to get running better than it is. I never heard of those bikes till last week but the point is hes enjoying himself like me. well people, just wanna say hello to you all in here and hope everyone has a awsome riding and safe year. :supz:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Hi! Welcome to the site. There's a lot of good information on this site. If you are in a rush, you can look through the older messages, or just ask anything you like. Heck, one of us may have come up with a new method or tip on how to tear up, I mean repair the problem by now. :grin:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That user name looks vaguely familiar, Hmmmmmmmm....

Anyway.... Nice to have ya! We love talkin' about anything here and have a lot of fun doing it.... So... kick back and check out the site... alot of stuff on here! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Hey Mike Welcome. What part of Maine are you in? I lived up near Limestone for a while when I was a teenager. We used to live on our bikes up there in the summer. The spring was nasty though. I hear you on the winter projects. I ported my Yamaha 125 MXer myself, moved the shocks forward, revalved the forks, painted the frame and other stuff. Had to stay busy in those times before video games!
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
TD3

Post by TD3 »

Mike: I live in Southern Maine, about a mile from Sebago Lake.

I'm looking for my next winter project already! I would really like an old dual-sport with a big ass motor :mrgreen: Something I could putt around on.
parker72001

Post by parker72001 »

klr 650?
no, go orange ktm adventure 950, i bet that thing rips :supz:
Parker Woods, 20 years old,
'04 KDX 220R