I have a stumper

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
CodyShires

I have a stumper

Post by CodyShires »

Hello all, I just realized there was an introduction forum so I'd like to introduce myself as well as present my current issue. My name is Cody Shires and Ive had my 2002 220 since I was 12 years old and am now 24. I just cant get rid of it, too great of a bike! I just recently came across this site seeking answers to some issues. Ive never had to seek out answers because I have never had a single problem out of the bike. Ive not even fouled a single plug, the same one since 2004 when I got the bike. Id like to know of any other two stroke bike that could say the same! She has been incredibly good to me, always starts, even after sitting all winter two kicks and would always fire up. The previous owner sent the jug to frp and had him port it, mill the head, and bore the carb. Ive been seperated from the bike a few years traveling around the country for work. It's been in my parents garage in Illinois. Last October I came out to San Diego for work and decided I really like it here and plan on staying awhile so I was considering getting the kdx shipped out here but never got around to it. Then one day I get a call from my parents saying the garage was broken into and my bike got stolen. (I'm from a very small town with family in the police force) So we had a pretty good idea who did it, I knew it would turn up some day but never expected it to be in one piece. Then about six months later I get a picture of the bike in what looked like decent shape in a ditch saying we found the bike. Great! immediately get it shipped to sd so I can have my baby back. It gets here and everything is completely wore out. I drained the oil and pulled the exhaust and peeked in and saw some pretty gnarly gouges. Off to Millenium Tech! At this point I decided on a total all out rebuild. Stripped the bike to bare frame and had it sand blasted and powder coated back green. Sent the rear shock, forks, and crank to frp to be rebuilt. All new bearings and seals throughout. Only thing still original is the plastic which is still in decent shape. So I get everything all back together a few weeks ago, everything went together like butter on bread, couldnt have went smoother. Go to kick the bike over and the kick starter was slipping bad. Alright so I order the springs and gears I need to mend that but in the meantime just to hear it run I was attempting to push start the bike. I got it to run a few times but could never get it to start consistently. And when it would run it did fine on the gas but wouldnt idle, would have to turn idle speed screw up all the way to get it to run at normal idle speed. and even then I'd have to feed it fuel every so often. The fuel mix screw seemed to have no effect. So I get on here and read about the jet block gasket issue so I ordered that last week and installed today along with kickstarter components so I wouldnt have to roll start anymore. Good news is the kickstarter is fixed, bad is that the gasket didnt change anything. I got the bike to start once with same issues as before, shut it off, installed brand new jets instead of the old ones I cleaned up and tried to start again with no dice. Wouldnt start at all. Then tried a different spark plug and visually checked to make sure I had good strong spark. When I pull the plug its wet so I'm getting fuel. Compression feels great, brand new athena piston, v force reeds, ricky stator rewind and fmf exhaust. The only thing different from before rebuild to now are the reeds. before I had the stockers in. I expected to possibly have to re jet with the new reeds but it ought to run decently right? Ive cleaned the carb countless times and soaked overnight in carb dip. Tried running with filter off, on, airbox on vs removed, nothing works. I have the trifecta, fuel, air, and spark. But still cant get it to run right. I have noticed a couple times when kickstarting that it wants to kick back just a hair every now and then. And it has NEVER done that since Ive owned it. Timing is set right in the middle on the stator plate. Elevation here in CA is spot on what it was back in IL. Im about out of ideas, hoping someone here has something! any help much appreciated!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: I have a stumper

Post by KDXGarage »

DO NOT soak the Keihin PWK in carb dip. It destroys the jet block gasket that you JUST put in it. :naughty:

new plug??

dirty carb, some jets just need to be replaced
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
CodyShires

Post by CodyShires »

I soaked the carb when it was apart while I was waiting on the new gasket. I've tried three different plugs and have had good spark in all three
CodyShires

Post by CodyShires »

And I've tried multiple jets, brand new along with old ones I've cleaned. I guess something could still be in the carb body itself but I have a hard time believing that's the case after half a dozen cleanings and a good soaking
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

It sounds to me like something is still gummed up in the carb. Idle passage, perhaps. Since you say the idle fuel mix screw does nothing, I suspect it's clogged. Pilot jet is suspect as well. Where did you get the jets you tried, and what were they? You don't happen to know anyone with a bike that runs a PWK you could swap out for a test, do ya?
CodyShires

Post by CodyShires »

I got the jets from jets r us and they are kehein branded. I've tried brand out of the box jets so that isn't the isuue. I guess I'll pull the carb again and try all the passages again
CodyShires

Post by CodyShires »

And no I don't know anybody out here. Maybe someone on here is close by?
CodyShires

Post by CodyShires »

Anyone have any other ideas I'm not thinking of? Cleaned carb again, even took the v force reeds out and put the stockers in to eliminate that possibility. Then checked to make sure I didn't shear the woodruff key on the flywheel and tried advancing the timing a bit. Haven't even gotten it to fire up again in two days. This thing is driving me crazy, I've never had this much of an issue getting a bike to run
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

Is the piston in backwards. Several people have done it by accident. Arrow points to exhaust. The jet block gasket can be tricky to install. Were you carfull not to let it slide a little. I did that that on mine. Float hight good. Is it dumping fuel out over flow. Check the choke ive seen the rubber on end of plunger deteriorate letting fuel on by.
CodyShires

Post by CodyShires »

Piston is fine I verified a few days ago. Float height is in spec, no fuel out of overflow. I'll re check the jet block gasket later. I've had the choke out and don't recall it being bad but I'll be sure and check as well, thanks for the ideas!
Chilly

I have a stumper

Post by Chilly »

I would send the stator back and get a new one I ordered a stator from Rick and had the same issue. Sent for a new one and the bike runs great now. It sucks I know but he has been known to send bad coils.
CodyShires

Post by CodyShires »

Well I actually figured it out last night! Ended up calling Jeff at frp and told him what I had. He asked if I put a different stator on it and I said yes had Ricky stator wind two new coils. He said to call and check with them because you can put the coil on wrong. Called Mike at Ricky stator and he said to send him a picture of the stator on the bike. He messaged back and said I had the coil on upside down. Flipped it over, put flywheel back on, fired up first kick and ran great! Glad it was something simple, even if I do feel dumb, I was starting to sweat! Thanks to all for the suggestions