3rd harescramble is in the books - Pea Ridge - Pics

Got racing stories or pictures to share?
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

And with a fellow forum member, to boot! :supz: Actually there were 3 of us KDX'ers out there.... we didn't know the other guy though, just saw him pull in and then saw him lined up in the row behind me at the start, and saw him several times throughout the race (he roosted the hell out of me up a steep muddy hill, lol.... it's in the video)

Anyways..... race was at Pea Ridge in Jonesville, SC with Mideast Harescrambles. Went down Saturday afternoon since I'm really not a morning person and didn't want to get up early to drive down. The land owner cooked us all food, had a pit bike race, and some fireworks saturday night.... it was a great time. Our fellow forum member Doug, AKA doakley, arrived later in the evening. Had a pretty good storm roll through Sat night and it DUMPED some rain!

Sunday morning up and at it, and looking to be a beautiful day! Had to get a pic of the bikes while they were still clean. Dougs 220 on the left, my 200 in the middle, and my buddy Storms 2017 KTM 450 on the right

Almost ready to roll.... I ran Sportsman C class, Doug was in the 60+, and the other KDX dude was in trail rider (row behind me but can't see him in the pic). My buddy Alan (also a co-worker) was there in Sportsman C with me as well.... KTM #69

Aaaaand, we're off! First turn... You can sort of see me back there hiding, lol..... right in the middle, to the right of 116. The trusty KDX always starts up first kick (and did this time as well), but I still suck at starts, haha. So obviously I did NOT get the holeshot

I couldn't find many pics of Doug, but there's one from the start

My buddy Alan is right to the right and just behind me.... blue and white gear

Pretty sure I was the only bike with a tag :lol: :lol:

I'll file this one into my "WTF??" category, lol. When I first saw this pic I legit had absolutely no idea what I was even looking at, hahah... but it wasn't where I was going, lol. Went back and watched my video and found where I did this.... can't see it in the pic but there was a dude standing over there in the trees. No idea what made me look over at him.... might have just seen something last minute and looked

My buddy James showed up to watch and got a couple snaps too

Some of the other KDX guy too..... he was either right ahead of me or right behind me in this spot.... our pics are real close. This may have been near where I was behind him and got roosted going up the muddy hill

Most of the pics so far are of the few 'better' parts of the track. This is what most of it was like. Remember how I said it dumped rain the night before? Yea, it was a MUDDER!! Big time..... thick, slimy, goopy slick red clay mud.... and ruts. Lots and lots of ruts. Pretty much the entire track, except a few spots where the sun had hit it and dried out some or the field sections. There were people stuck and crashed eevvvveerryywhere. It was like weaving around the bikes in some spots. Some spots we couldn't even get through cuz it was completely blocked with crashed/stuck bikes and riders, and had to blaze our own path through the woods to get back on the trail further up (see video). It was slick as cow s**t out there.... no joke

And there was a good bit of this as the day went on

Made it!! Well, sort of.... I'll admit it, I threw the towel in early and never saw a checker flag (which is usually my goal.... just to finish, not so worried about where). I'm not used to riding mud and ruts.... the place we usually ride it doesn't get muddy. So I'm not quite as good as dealing with it as a lot of these guys are. It wore me slap out... and I mean, OUT!! I ended up doing 2 full laps (7 miles each.... took 47 mins each. Oddly enough the 2 laps were only 42 seconds apart lap times). Started a 3rd one but only did a little bit of it and my body was screaming "no more!!". I'm usually not one to quit, especially when I have goal in mind, but both physical and mental fatigue were hitting me pretty hard, I was starting to have all kinds of silly little crashes, and I really just didn't want to get myself hurt. Especially something I'm doing just for fun... I'm not in it to compete. So I found my way out. I was so beyond exhausted here.... y'all have no idea, lol

My buddy James came over too.... he has a KDX as well but wasn't racing

Yours truly, lol

Not as bad as some other bikes, but still got their fair share of dirty. That stuff was hard to wash off too.... it was sticky!

Oh yea and did I mention... that it was HOT?? I imagine this probably played a good role in the fatigue as well. Might have been a few deg's cooler, as this was in the sun. But still, it was hot, lol

Started with 21 riders in the class.... 15 finished and 6 DNF's. I finished 12th.... not great, but not last either. Still kinda bummed I didn't technically finish all the way to the checker flag, but I guess it happens sometimes

Now for the video..... It's basically 34 minutes of me getting my ass whooped, lol. I'll preface this by saying... I'm not fast, I know I'm not fast, and honestly in these kind of conditions, I wasn't even trying to be. Just chugging along and trying not to get stuck or have too many crashes.... and not get myself hurt. I'm really just hoping to learn a few new things and gain a little experience and riding skill. Speed will come in due time as skills improve. So don't expect anything exciting here, haha. And since I'm sure nobody wants to sit here and watch my slow ass for 34 mins, I'll point out a few of the highlights. My buddy Alan shows up around 4:00 and 12:00, at which point the trail was completely blocked and we had to find our own way. Then at 17:00 went through the check point and was behind the other KDX guy, and he roosted the hell outta me, lol. Then my own bloopers videos start right at the 20:00 mark, where I took a little soil sample right in front of my buddy Andrew (on the CRF-450x that asked if I was alright). And the rest is pretty much just me crashing, lol. That's how I knew it was time to quit. I don't usually crash that much but my coordination goes to crap when I get seriously fatigued. At 27:00 I ate it pretty hard in the steep muddy downhill after the check point.... same spot I was behind other KDX dude before. And yea my camera always seems to amplify the KIPS rattle for some reason.... it's really not that loud

[youtube][/youtube]

That's all I've got.... Sorry for so many pics. As rough as it was, still had a great time and glad I did it! I needed the practice dealing with the mud and ruts. And of course the KDX ran absolutely flawless the entire time.... I wouldn't expect any different, she never lets me down. Glad Doug and I were able to get together and ride too, as well as hang out before and after.... cool guy! Gotta give him big props for being 60+ and still out there ripping it up.... especially in these conditions, between the heat and mud. Lots of respect from me.... I can only hope I'm doing the same for a long time to come :grin: Hope you had a good time too Doug!
jaywylie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jaywylie »

Very cool! I love seeing the pics anc the video!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 3rd harescramble is in the books - Pea Ridge - Pics

Post by KDXGarage »

Cool story! I don't blame you on knowing when to say when. :bravo:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Looks like awesome tiring fun! :supz: I know how you feel. Been there many times racing the AMRA series out here. Sometimes you just gotta know your limits and stop before you hurt yourself and your bike.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Great photos and story, Jared. That was the weekend after my 65th birthday and I seriously doubt anyone else there had any more fun than I did! That was one tough muddier race and I got awfully exhausted picking myself up. One lap was all I could muster in that awful mess!
Great riding with you and let's do it again!
(I'm going to watch your video now and see if you edited out that section where you passed me while I was heaving on the side of the trail like I asked!)
Get on the gas, mate!
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

doakley wrote:Great photos and story, Jared. That was the weekend after my 65th birthday and I seriously doubt anyone else there had any more fun than I did! That was one tough muddier race and I got awfully exhausted picking myself up. One lap was all I could muster in that awful mess!
Great riding with you and let's do it again!
(I'm going to watch your video now and see if you edited out that section where you passed me while I was heaving on the side of the trail like I asked!)
Get on the gas, mate!
Hahah I'm actually not sure where that was.... I watched the video but I must keep missing it. I thought it was you at the hill after the checkpoint where I ran into the other KDX dude (I found him on FB btw..... His is an 03 220.... He said its the best bike he's ever rode). But after watching that again I see it was the same dude.... He was in front of me and then went off to the right somewhere, then I pulled over to let the guy behind me go around, then KDX guy (his name is Mike) went past then I pulled back out. Then he got stuck on the next hill and I went past him going up that. I had thought it was all 3 of us there at first, lol