Enduro Equipment

Got racing stories or pictures to share?
BamBam
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Enduro Equipment

Post by BamBam »

I want to try a genuine enduro race this year. What do you recommend for the roll chart thing? Is it really important for a first ever race? Are there more than one type?

Or is that too old school and guys use digital stuff (cycling trip computers) these days?

I want to make sure its something I can see/read while riding with decent print size for old eyes.... suggestions??
gots_a_sol

Enduro Equipment

Post by gots_a_sol »

The first few enduros I did I didn't have anything. I told the sign up folks that I was new and they put me a on a row with someone in a higher class who would most likely be doing time keeping (he was, ended up winning my class that weekend thanks to him)

I started riding with some local guys who knew how to do time keeping (old fashioned way) and were about the same speed as me, so I could actually see what they were doing which has been the biggest help so far in learning this stuff.

The basic way of doing it you would need a rollchart holder, a watch, and an adjustable odometer. For the few enduros I do a year, the full digital computer feels like overkill and seems like it would take the fun out of it.

Most folks I see have the $30 Moose/MSR chart holder

I see a variety of odometers out there, stock or aftermarket. My buddy has the Trail Tech Vector/Stryker which has a remote switch which makes adjusting the odometer much easier. I have the TT Endurance II and just recently figured out I can adjust the odo on it, but it doesn't have the remote switch (I already had it on my bike before I got interested in enduros).

I see you're in MD, you should check out http://www.damnriders.org/index.php for local guys.
Last edited by gots_a_sol on 09:18 pm May 11 2017, edited 2 times in total.
-Joe

Husky WR177 - KX125 (200 soon)
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Enduro Equipment

Post by bufftester »

+1 on letting the organizers know it's your first enduro. I started that way, then went to my own roll chart and watch taped to the bars, then to the Watchdog computer by Dugas Engineering which is what I still run. Once you know how to use a roll chart the jump to a computer makes it much easier to focus on the riding and not the timekeeping. Of course the way things are going there are fewer and fewer "old school" time keeping events and more of the national format, which is a shame IMO.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

bufftester wrote:+1 on letting the organizers know it's your first enduro. I started that way, then went to my own roll chart and watch taped to the bars, then to the Watchdog computer by Dugas Engineering which is what I still run. Once you know how to use a roll chart the jump to a computer makes it much easier to focus on the riding and not the timekeeping. Of course the way things are going there are fewer and fewer "old school" time keeping events and more of the national format, which is a shame IMO.
A SHAME INDEED!!

I did one, once. I was so far behind I didn't need any chart or clock to tell me to go, go, go. :lol:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
BamBam
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by BamBam »

At my pace, I think I may start with a sundial and hope to work my way up! LOL
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Unless you are a really hot A class rider, very doubtful you will be early anywhere. If you see a group of riders stopped, check their row numbers before you pass them. Otherwise just ride like hell!