2nd harescramble ever at Perry MTN MC SECCA C30+

Got racing stories or pictures to share?
throttleout
Supporting Member

Post by throttleout »

Started racing now that I've got the KDX up to snuff. Me and the family are racing the SECCA series in Alabama. I raced in the C250 under class in my first race, and moved to the C30+ class this last race. In my first race I placed 11th overall out of 21 riders in the C250 class. And, the second race I placed 3rd overall out of 11 in the C30+ class. The C30+ class is more appropriate for me since I'm 35. The C250 & under is a fast class. Several of those guys place in the top ten right after the junior 12-16 racers in C & D overall.

I do really well in the first moto, and then in the 2nd moto of both races I get bad leg cramps. It was way worse in the first race....couldn't get off my bike after I finished. Second race wasn't near as bad but it still played a major role in my riding. Anyways me, the kids, my nephew, and brother-in-law are having a blast. Here's some media.

C250 under holeshot. Surpisingly I do well on the holeshots. I've ended up 3rd out of the first turn in both races. I start off in second gear.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/B2kmJsJCYvY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is the second turn.

Gradual long hill as soon as we entered the woods.

Me encouraging my 7 year old

He's loving his new to him KTM. Coming off a clapped out xr50. This is his 4th harescramble.

My boy on the far left. 4th place!

11 year old kx 65

Fourth place

Ok, story time. I placed 3rd. First moto I placed second after my brother-in-law who got first. Second moto I placed fourth, and my brother in law placed 5th. My brother-in-law fouled a plug in his yz250 right before we started the second moto. He changed the plug and started dead last out of all of the C and D classes. He passed 65 riders! And, almost caught me. He's a fast rider. He's on the first yz and I'm about 5 deep.
2000 KDX 200
RB carb mod
FMF rev, power core
Race tech gold valves
nedrowjoe

Re: 2nd harescramble ever at Perry MTN MC SECCA C30+

Post by nedrowjoe »

That is awesome, I'm way up here in upstate NY. I'm 32, but have similar aspirations. My oldest boy is 4, and has an electric dirt bike with training wheels. I'm getting my old 86 kdx200 up to snuff, wanted to try harescrambles this year, but most likely next year. I've been on a bike since 4, and always dreamed of racing. You are inspiring me. Thanks!!
patreilly
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by patreilly »

I have had trouble with leg cramps for years. I have torn up the vascular system in my left leg. I think it contributes to the cramps. But, I get them in both legs some times. Stay hydrated. I like to drink a quart of Gator Aid in the van on the way before riding. Seems to help.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Awesome group of racers you have there! On hydration, make sure you are hydrating with water starting a couple of days before the race. Also, eating a banana a day starting at the same time will help. Another trick I use is to take two Tums antacid tablets about a half hour before race time. It helps with arm pump but it might help with leg cramps as well.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
throttleout
Supporting Member

Post by throttleout »

nedrowjoe wrote:That is awesome, I'm way up here in upstate NY. I'm 32, but have similar aspirations. My oldest boy is 4, and has an electric dirt bike with training wheels. I'm getting my old 86 kdx200 up to snuff, wanted to try harescrambles this year, but most likely next year. I've been on a bike since 4, and always dreamed of racing. You are inspiring me. Thanks!!
It's a lot of fun. You definitely should do one race to see what it's like. The adrenaline from it is another level. My suggestion is to race D class your first race. I know I should have. If you go out there trying to race your first race you'll quickly realize that the type of riding that you've been doing hasn't prepared you for 50 minutes of riding as hard as you can.
patreilly wrote:I have had trouble with leg cramps for years. I have torn up the vascular system in my left leg. I think it contributes to the cramps. But, I get them in both legs some times. Stay hydrated. I like to drink a quart of Gator Aid in the van on the way before riding. Seems to help.
I did drink gator aid before and between motos. Hydration really is key, and I had a camelback issue in the second moto that kept me from getting a sip for more than a lap.
SS109 wrote:Awesome group of racers you have there! On hydration, make sure you are hydrating with water starting a couple of days before the race. Also, eating a banana a day starting at the same time will help. Another trick I use is to take two Tums antacid tablets about a half hour before race time. It helps with arm pump but it might help with leg cramps as well.

Thanks man! Man I try to drink enough water everyday. Even when I'm not racing. But I think I could do better when I'm preparing for a race. I actually did eat bananas this time. Maybe the bananas and gator aid decreased the severity of the cramps this last race. The first race I was in I barely finished. lol It was bad. Definitely gonna try the tums trick!
2000 KDX 200
RB carb mod
FMF rev, power core
Race tech gold valves
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Seat time will help with the cramps but hydration is very important. Try to OD on water daily starting about Monday/Tuesday before the race and keep it up all week. Also I find the more I stand the less I get leg cramps. Somehow sitting too much makes them worse for me. Some people swear by drinking pickle juice before the race. I hate the taste though. Congrats on racing. At 65 I'm not fast but I don't know if anyone on the course is having more fun!
Willbilly

Post by Willbilly »

I just saw this video and was about to post it on here. Good job. You're using the word holeshot wrong though, you were 2nd into the 1st turn.
throttleout
Supporting Member

Post by throttleout »

Willbilly wrote:I just saw this video and was about to post it on here. Good job. You're using the word holeshot wrong though, you were 2nd into the 1st turn.
Yup I'm a newb to racing! lol...

I was hanging out after the harescramble with some guys I didn't know watching the supercross race a few weeks ago, and they were talking about how things change when you get "that red number plate" referring to Tomac being the points leader....I had no idea what they were talking about. Oh well, I'm learning.

Thanks for the clarification though :cool:
2000 KDX 200
RB carb mod
FMF rev, power core
Race tech gold valves