Hillbilly Part II

Got racing stories or pictures to share?
KDXFZRRD
Supporting Member

Hillbilly Part II

Post by KDXFZRRD »

kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hillbilly Part II

Post by kawagumby »

LOL...running over bikes is hard thing to get used to...but unfortunately it is often the only way to finish high. I never would run-over riders tho' (at least not intentionally) :mrgreen: Another great write-up, my friend. I am pulling for you and waiting for that elusive next first place finish!
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
Bitteeinit

Re: Hillbilly Part II

Post by Bitteeinit »

Awesome! I'm happy for you. I really like your write-ups, I actually laugh out loud quite often (which is rare when reading something online, usually it's just an internal chuckle). I love that you rode over his bike. Do people talk to each other after races? Did the KTM guy come up to you and complain, or have you ever nodded your head in Juan's direction before or after a race? I just missed a race last weekend I think. I'm in Bangkok for training so couldn't make it. The nxt race is in October or November I think. I'll definitely try to race the WR then. Someone brought me back a Rekluse, so it'll be interesting to see if I like the whole auto-clutch thing or not. Really ake sme want to race, so I'll enter for sure next time around. It's rainy season now, so the next one will be a muddy mess for sure.
Bitteeinit

Hillbilly Part II

Post by Bitteeinit »

Oh yeah, I noticed you have a new helmet: what are the hydration kits you guys use? I usually have a camelpack, but I actually need to feed it to my mouth (which I suppose would be an issue in a race). Do you drill a hole or something, or is it a proprietary helmet/hydration system?

Also, what armour do you use? Looks like a Fox?
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Camelbacks of one brand or another, whichever you like. I run my tube over my left shoulder so I can reach it easily with my left hand. You do see some riders with the tube run through the front of the chin guard of the helmet. You have to cut a hole for that. Most just grab it with a free hand in a smooth part of the course. In my case I usually wait until I fall or stop. I don't usually have to wait long!
By the way, I did a little informal survey and it seems it's about a 50/50 split on what to fill your camelback with. water or some version of Gatorade (usually diluted). I'm going to try Gatorade next race.
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

I just grab my camel back tube in flat straights or just after scoring. I have tried many different fluids, but have settled on Smart Water. Gives me the electrolytes without any sweet or salty taste. So water with benefits!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KDXFZRRD
Supporting Member

Post by KDXFZRRD »

I'm running a Kreiga hydration tube connected to the EVS hydration bladder that fits in the EVS ballistic jersey I am wearing. Tried racing with the tube hanging down, but found I couldn't get it under my helmet without slowing way down or stopping (I don't). I drilled through the screen on the front of the helmet and put the tube through there. Now a small push puts the bite valve in my mouth, and I can push it away with my tongue. Made a huge difference.
KDXFZRRD
Supporting Member

Post by KDXFZRRD »

Bitteeinit wrote:I love that you rode over his bike. Do people talk to each other after races? Did the KTM guy come up to you and complain, or have you ever nodded your head in Juan's direction before or after a race?
Juan and I talk all the time after the races, most of the guys do and are very friendly. It's just understood that nobody gives an inch in the woods. That said, I never do anything to deliberately hurt someone or make dangerous moves, aggressive maybe, but we all still have to go to work on Monday morning. Also, the same guy that might stuff you in the first turn or bang his way by will stop if he sees you down and ask if you are OK.

I looked for the KTM rider after the race but did not see him. I was a little nervous he might have words for me, but I try to never do anything I'm not willing to own up to, or accept the consequences for! :grin: