Winter Series Harescrambles......and the KDXs...

Got racing stories or pictures to share?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

So, the winter HareScrambles have started here in Wetter Washington. My son and I started racing last year, at this particular series. I was only able to make 3 races do to an OTJI, but my son completed his series and took 2nd overall in his class (15 & under). When we started this series, my son was riding my 93 KDX with my 95 KDX front end on it. I was on my 95, with the 93 front end (I had the 93 FE set up for me and was using it on the 95). In late November, I was able to score an 01 220, in stock form, for my son. He wasn't able to race it until the 2nd to last race last year, do to it needing some work (like anew piston). Over the summer I rebuilt his forks with new bushings and 10 weight (he is a heavy bugger (the boy, not the bike)). I also started on my KDX refresh, which has taken most of the summer and I am still not done with it yet. I am waiting on forks and need to figure out front wheel seals and spacers as well as a set of graphics for it.
ANYWAYS......Out of the six of us, I have four racing this year;
Matthew (8 & Under) 7 yo, CRF50F (story about him later)
Michael (9-12 YO) 9 yo, CRF110F...Not competitive, but it's good to "not win" as well as it is to win.
Casey (15 & Under) 15 yo, KDX220R.....This class rides the same race as everyone else.
Tim (200B) ** yo, KDX200.....I sucked last year!

Here you go:
The KDXs (actually the riders) dominated the 200cc class! These bikes rocked yesterday! The mud on the track was so deep that we could barely keep the bikes running...I had to mostly ride the track in 1st and sometimes 2nd/3rd gear. We couldn't get a straight line ride on most of the track.
On the back side of the track (heading into the trails), which is really a service road and rough as hel!, my KDX just absorbed the bumpiness of the terrain...I hit that part and WOT 4th gear, while resting at the same time :supz: . In the trails, of course, the KDXs shined and we passed and passed. With the boy on my tail, I hung a hard right and start an up hill climb, pinning it to keep him off of me.....BAM, someone dug a whole, my front tire goes is and slides left...I'm down and the boy passes...He got a couple minutes on me and I couldn't catch him after that.

It was a good, wet, muddy, slippery and slimy day.....
My bike after the race....( You can see the 220 behind it)
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Winter Series Harescrambles......and the KDXs...

Post by 6 Riders »

The story of Matt, my youngest son. He is a natural on motorcycles. The day that he decided to ride dirt bikes, he got on the 50, kicked it over, shifted into gear and took off....with me chasing him down waving my arms :lol: . He cornered, he stood, he just rode the bike. He did crash of course, as well, after which "he needed a break"......That is Matt. He rides when he wants, and that doesn't mean all the time. Just when he wants to.
The race;
I got back from my race and went to watch the start of the kids race.....My wife told me to follow him through the course, so I had to run back to the trailer and get a bike....I choose the 110 (e start and all). During this time I missed the start by a minute or two.....When I came upon Matt, he had crashed in the first 90° turn. Before I could get to him, he picked his bike up, jumped on and away he went. Matt managed to crash alot in the trees and after almost Whiskey Tango into a tree and crashing, I was sure, by the look on his face, that he was going to quite right there....See, Matt doesn't like riding in the wet, or mud, or trees...he likes dessert and is happy there.....But he got up, got the bike up before I could even get to him (looking like he was going to cry) and he jumped on and took off. He finished his first lap and kept going :boogie: I truly couldn't believe my eyes :shock: .
Matt did much better on his second lap and 3rd. He did crash still, but less often with each lap. I'm pretty sure that seeing other kids his age out there, also crashing, helped keep him going. He managed to finish his 4th lap with only one hiccup....A mud hole as deep as the wheels, made by the big bikes that ran through there before. He managed to go around it in the 3 prior laps, but the 4th lap, he went right in and stopped cold. My wife got him out and away he went. Matt finished his race and headed back to the trailer.

The smile on his face when he took his helmet off! I couldn't be prouder of him......I had to bribe him to race and I'm glad I did. Now....time to shop for tires and a neck brace!
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

It's great to watch your kids enjoy riding. Good me memories for all. My son chaz and I have a blast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Great race report! Always good to hear KDX's doing their job by carrying their riders through the worst terrain. Also great to hear the whole family had a great time! :supz:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

SS109 wrote:Great race report! Always good to hear KDX's doing their job by carrying their riders through the worst terrain. Also great to hear the whole family had a great time! :supz:
Everyone but Mom.....She is feeling like crap, but persevered all the same....Go MOM!
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Here is some video of the first lap (about 1/2 of a lap), that my oldest recorded. Would have been longer, but I had to cut it off when the mud covered the camera.

[youtube][/youtube]