GNCC Race Prep

Got racing stories or pictures to share?
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

GNCC Race Prep

Post by gsa102 »

Just wanted to share some things I have learned along the way. I have been racing my purple 1996 KDX in the AWRCS series in PA for a couple years and it has proven to be very capable and reliable at a C class level. The series is very similar to GNCC racing, and the tracks actually tend to be tighter in my local series.

I love it but I am not fit or fast. Wear the best safety gear you can afford. Serious Injuries at the races are thankfully uncommon, but expect some bruises and monkey-butt.

For beginners: Just try to finish the 2 hour race. That is a huge accomplishment. Get there early and ask questions, everybody is friendly. It is a good family environment.

FITNESS:
If you want to run an endurance race, the best investment is in your fitness. You have to pace yourself, but the more fit you are, the faster the pace.

I prefer a bicycle over running, to save the knees, also to develop balance.

You have to conserve energy any way you can. Don't get stuck and don't fall. Easy, right?

TRAINING: Ride as much as you can with faster riders, to push the pace. Consider an MX track to develop timing and familiarity with the bike.

BIKE PREP:
We all know, upgrade the forks to more capable units. I had the stockers hang in ruts, too. If you are stuck in a rut, put one knee on the seat and try to keep the weight off the front and drive out of it. Worked for me once.

Take the time to dial in the rear suspension. Re-valves and springs are worth the money. Grease the linkage at least 2x a season. Your butt and back will thank you.

Take the time to get the jetting right: Poor Jetting = stalling. Stalling = kicking and not conserving energy.
Fouled plugs = pushing. Pushing sucks, that is why we buy bikes with engines.

Take the sidestand off ! It will hang in ruts and on roots.

If in doubt, replace it (cables, chain, brake pads, levers).

Get the good, full wrap handguards. The stock ones are inadequate. I have hit trees hard enough to bend the carbon-steel bars, and kept going.

Consider a woods handlebar bend. Or cut stock ones down an inch on each side. It may be a mental thing, but it makes a difference.

New plug for race day. A spare air filter is helpful, so you always have one ready to go.

New tires are always better, but you can get a season out of them.

General racing:
Consider running a 200 cc class, so you are only racing similar displacement bikes. A "bomber" (older bike) class is good, too.

GNCC: Pre-register online, it's WAY faster. And get ready for traffic. In the GNCC I ran two years ago, there were 400 bikes on a 9 mile course in the am race.

Look for ways around stuck riders. Younger riders are good for going fast then falling and blocking the trail.

Most obstacles reward being aggressive and maintaining momentum. See suspension setup and fitness.

The trail changes constantly, especially through mudholes. Look for a smoother, easier path. Experience helps a lot here.

Let faster riders by but don't stop to do it if at all possible. Some are rude and some are polite.

The most satisfying races I have had are when I have met up with a rider of similar speed and we "battled." Even when I lost. Or when I found good flow on the track and felt really fast.

Bike Failures I have had:
Fouled plugs - see jetting

Out of gas (not the kdx) - see jetting. The stock kdx tank is good for a two hour plus race.

Front brakes overheated and locked up on the kdx - should have changed the brake pads, and I suspect there was an issue with the master cylinder. Common on old bikes. Rebuilt the cylinder and no problems since.

Broken brake lever - see get good handguards.

Common Failures I have seen:
Bent/stripped shifter or rear brake pedal. I run a brake snake.

Flat tires - you should have run a little more air pressure!

Stick in the eye - keep those goggles on, I don't care how hot you are!

Stripped out front sprocket. see bike prep
Last edited by gsa102 on 12:01 pm Apr 07 2014, edited 1 time in total.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
magnakidv4

GNCC Race Prep

Post by magnakidv4 »

I ride a 97 220 and raced for the first time last year at the Gusher GNCC. I have a friend who races some AWRCS and wants me to race a few this year. If I make it to any races I will keep an eye out for your KDX. There aren't many of us.
97 KDX 220
03 Magna 750
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

GNCC Race Prep

Post by SS109 »

Great list of how to be ready for race day! :supz:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: GNCC Race Prep

Post by gsa102 »

Magna, there are more than you realize at the local level. I have been seeing four other KDXs at AWRCS regularly.

Were you in the back rows in the am race? I stopped and talked to a KDX rider there.

The landowner is kind of anal and he had a fit that they tore up his ground like that. (what did he expect, but the rain and traffic made the whole place a huge mudhole) No more Gusher, they are looking for another location. I heard they took a look at Templeton (scrubgrass).

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
magnakidv4

GNCC Race Prep

Post by magnakidv4 »

Yeah I was near the back but I wasn't the one you talked to. I raced 30+ Vet C. I only remember seeing one KDX and it had John Deere graphics on it. That was a beautiful piece of property and it got torn up pretty bad. I have been waiting to see where the PA race will be this time.
97 KDX 220
03 Magna 750
ICRage42
Supporting Member

GNCC Race Prep

Post by ICRage42 »

Just met up with GSA102

Very nice and informative guy. HAHAHahaha thought about it but I think I probed his mind while he was here. :bravo:

Even went through sag settings.

He got the silencer and seat and shrouds for his kdx. All at the cost of being a kdx google and freezing in my garage for a bit. I got a needle and spare front rim.

Front fork swap in the way.

Thanks again Greg enjoy the parts.

Don
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
TheJackRabbit
Supporting Member

Post by TheJackRabbit »

I only remember seeing one KDX and it had John Deere graphics on it.
I went to that race to watch and saw that bike and your bike

I will be racing awrcs round 1 c-class 125-200, however I will be on my GasGas 200
http://www.youtube.com/allthatstuff35 <--- some KDX videos here
I'm smarter than I act
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

HEY jackrabbit I've always wanted a gasgas 200 how does it compare to the kdx?
TheJackRabbit
Supporting Member

Post by TheJackRabbit »

I have a KDX 220 RB mods/everything but suspension, a 2004 ktm 200 exc and a gasgas 200 in my ownership currently and here's the break down

1997 KDX: you should pretty much know all this, smooth power, 220 doesn't rev too high, old suspension, aging ergo's, still IMO one of the best woods bikes

2004 KTM 200: super twitchy to me in anything but tight woods, but way lighter to pick up and to ride than the GG and KDX, Lightning bolt of a motor for the 04/05's. newer ones are smoother and slower.

2006 GasGas 200: In my area parts are not a concern (Smiths Powersports is a great store with great people behind it), suspension is the best of all, ZOKES in the front, Ohlins in the rear. the motor is smooth but snappy, doesn't want to spin like the ktm, but revs out unlike a KDX without mods done to it. my bike has a map switch on it and it makes a noticeable difference. lots of parts crossover on this bike, bike is super stable on fast straits, yet turns like the ktm in tight woods. CONS- this bike is heavy when moving onto a stand compared to the KDX and KTM, when riding it feels lighter than the KDX. The KDX definitely wants to wheelie more on hill climbs the GG you can lean back to get traction and the front will still stay down.

here is my GasGas it has the 2011 cosmetics on it

http://www.youtube.com/allthatstuff35 <--- some KDX videos here
I'm smarter than I act
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

Don, After thinking about it, I still believe your hot start issue is carb related.

I will put the parts to good use. Glad to help a fellow rider if I can. We'll go riding soon.

Greg

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

Race report from AWRCS race April 4:

A lot of soft ground, but most of the track was tacking up toward the end.

The bike ran well, but both seat bolts fell out. New one on me. I wrung the poor thing's neck for 3 hours, and the jetting and power were predictable and strong. It climbed past a lot of stuck bikes on the muddy, rutted trails. I had to push some, but was able to ride the back of the seat a lot and keep moving. But I did bypass the really big hills.

My setup with the DRZ forks needs some work. The stock DRZ springs are too stiff, and the shock spring a little too soft. Probably a combination of both making it feel unbalanced. According to race tech, the fork springs should be right, but I am thinking I will try a softer set for comparison. The back end felt like a pogo stick, and I should have added rebound damping.

Because of my setup, it was hard to get settled in the whoops and over roots, both of which were everywhere. That hurt my pace. I needed a click or two more shock rebound damping but did not stop to adjust it. They routed us down a couple rocky washes, and the stiff forks really worked my arms there. That being said, the front end was predictable and did not deflect unexpectedly.

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
ICRage42
Supporting Member

GNCC Race Prep

Post by ICRage42 »

Didn't run the new YZ?

I hope your not talking about my seat I gave ya. That thing sure does look good but it beat the crap outta me. I love mine I can still slide fine but can also grip with inner legs too. It would work loose on me as well just because I slid on it too much I suppose. Loctite solved the problem ....blue.

With your size I would say you changed a lot of the stance by riding farther back. A readjustment is really needed. I swear with the new seat I had to go through it again. Could be a mental thing but I do believe my form had changed a lot and hence I needed to adjust.

You really don't want to have a screwdriver out on a run rofl. I thought of this idea and seems to be a good one for a quick adjustment. How about a p38 attatched to bike? I have several left over from scouts its a military can opener. But if you seen one its ideal for shocks and folds up and uber small. If you had an adjustment out and you flopped the time for you to stop and make a quick adjustment is time saving in a sense. Less painfull too.

Hit me up next time. Ill help ya in the pit and meet ya. I might require ya to help dial in a new front set of forks sometime only thing Im really concerned with is how far to raise them in the clamps. Id race but Im pulling the motor to do a full rebuild. Made up my mind I know it doesn't need it but I want to have everything fresh. Took it out for a spin a couple days ago and after riding had a good **** eating smile and said I owe it to the bike to do it. I want it to last me for a good while.

Oh btw I know you have people to take em........if no pics it didn't happen :mrgreen:
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

My pit crew can't quit talking and gawking long enough to take a pic. I am the one that takes pics of the kids. And it was my old seat, but I had your new plastics on.

look at rounce.smugmug.com at the AWRCS round 1 pictures, IMG_7213. You can see me with "proof" across my pic.

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

This is our year end award for our race series, a dry erase pit board with your picture on a decal on the back. Our series is pretty competitive, so 9th isn't too bad for an old slow guy.

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
GI_JO_NATHAN
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by GI_JO_NATHAN »

Nice! :supz:
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

GNCC Race Prep

Post by canamfan »

good job!! I ride in a few harescrambles here in Missouri FMHSC. Nice bunch of guys. There are several good hs series that run near me. Wish I could ride more. I thought when I got in my 50's I would have more time to ride but just seem to get busier. Plus seems like injuries last a lot longer. Actually they do last longer. Ride as much as you can while your young, you won't get any more time as you get older, just busier.
ICRage42
Supporting Member

GNCC Race Prep

Post by ICRage42 »

awesome greg congrats on 9th and that is a super cool pic.