timing marks

Discussion specific to the 1991 - 1994 KDX250 sold in the USA
bansheedave

timing marks

Post by bansheedave »

Hello. I have a 94 kdx250 complete ignition system. Bought to install on my kx250 to run lights. Worked ok but have since swapped the system back out. Now I've got a kx500 motor I bought as a project and it came without the ignition system. I've decided to put it on that motor and have a few questions. Maybe just one, we'll see. If I line the timing marks from the stator plate up to the marks on the 500 case, do you think that will be fine? If not, I will need the degrees of ignition timing information before, at and after top dead center. I'll also have to get the same info for the 500 so I can accurately set the timing with my degree wheel. Thanks for any help.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Re: timing marks

Post by Jaguar »

I would just change the timing a few times and see how it affects the power output. just experiment
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: timing marks

Post by bufftester »

Some significant differences between the 2 ignition systems as far as wiring, alignment of the coils, flywheel...could try putting it altogether and seeing what happens. THe timing marks on the case and stator are unique to each model, in other words where the marks are on the KDX case and plate may or may not have any relationship with where they are on the KX500. Best bet is to hunt for a KX500 ignition (since they were in production up to 2004 it should be easier)