kdx250 kips

Discussion specific to the 1991 - 1994 KDX250 sold in the USA
argclh6670
Supporting Member

kdx250 kips

Post by argclh6670 »

Hey guys, im doing a topend on the kdx....my question, now that i scrapped all carbon off of valve, when fully closed the main flapper falls out of the sub valvez and just dangles down in the exhast port. This cant be right?? The subvalves show wear at groove where main valve pins engage them but nothing major. Am i missing something? Hope this is understandable.
argclh6670
Supporting Member

kdx250 kips

Post by argclh6670 »

After closer inspection. Ive come to the conclusion that the main valve pins have worn notches in the subvalves after 23 yrs of running....in turn allowing the flapper valve pins to slip out of subvalve guide grooves and dangle into exhaust port rendering it non operational! New subvalves ordered.....hope theyre here in time for HS this Sat.
dingerjunkie
Gold Member
Gold Member

kdx250 kips

Post by dingerjunkie »

Would you be willing to post pics of the wear and the issue so others with lest "abstract vision" could look for what you've found on their own rides...please?
Theory and Practice are ALWAYS identical...theoretically...
http://www.fire-fx.net
...your theater is on...
argclh6670
Supporting Member

kdx250 kips

Post by argclh6670 »

dingerjunkie wrote:Would you be willing to post pics of the wear and the issue so others with lest "abstract vision" could look for what you've found on their own rides...please?
funny, I thought they were supposed to be that way (which im sure they're not) till I started reassembling. lol....What can I say, my first encounter with these...
argclh6670
Supporting Member

Re: kdx250 kips

Post by argclh6670 »

Update, apparently, there are NO rh subvalves to be had in the US at this time....hopefully, theyre not obsolete!
dingerjunkie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: kdx250 kips

Post by dingerjunkie »

I picked up a complete used top-end off of ebay just for the KIPS components out of production-end fear. I will hope for otherwise, but I get a sense that these are likely unavailable going forward.

It may be possible that units from the '88-'90 KX250 are either interchangeable or can be machined to match the KDX porting, though I have not checked on their availability.

Is there anyone with a scanner or the tools that would be willing to make a CAD model of good versions so we can move forward supporting this bike with a 3-D printer or CNC access?
Theory and Practice are ALWAYS identical...theoretically...
http://www.fire-fx.net
...your theater is on...