Radiator Source

Discussion specific to the 1991 - 1994 KDX250 sold in the USA
dingerjunkie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Radiator Source

Post by dingerjunkie »

Hello All...interesting news for you.

I was looking, once again, at the various Chinese-manufactured replacement radiator sets available for multiple KX models and the KDX 200/220.

One of them, "Winner" just listed a left-side for the KDX250, which happens to be a match to the '89 KX250. On a whim, I contacted them through the listing to ask about the right-side unit. They responded quite quickly with an offer. The firm is interested in making one. I'll be sending them a tweaked right-side unit for them to model from, and they'll give me the first unit for evaluation if I just cover the cost of shipping.

I'll be getting the matched set with silicone hoses. Expect a review with pics once they get here. If they do work out, let's show the company some love for being willing to support us KDX'ers.
Theory and Practice are ALWAYS identical...theoretically...
http://www.fire-fx.net
...your theater is on...
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Radiator Source

Post by KDXGarage »

Could you not find a good used one or have Myler's repair it?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
osobad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by osobad »

nothing wrong with them. a couple of years ago I got a complete set of oversized ones for less than the cost of a used set and the welds and workman ship was pretty good. Would rather buy American but not at 4 times the cost
dingerjunkie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dingerjunkie »

Repaired is still flimsy enough to crush on a solid drop/crash. Mylers doesn't have the right-side available in their braced aftermarket line. I have another used on on the bike know, but it is also tweaked. backup/replacement options need to be found. At the same time, I'm looking for oversized (deeper) and sturdier than the originals.

I'd prefer domestic as well, however budget is always an issue, and the company seems very accommodating to assist with a relatively unsupported model, so I'm game to see what they can/will do.
...your theater is on...
mattyhylander

Post by mattyhylander »

Ok guys - I've been in the same dilemma and was unable to find any information whatsoever!

So I ended up running the gauntlet on a whim that Denso listed the same part numbers for the 91-94 KDX250 as for the 88-89 KX250 and 88-04 KX500 and bought a set from eBay from this link

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kawasaki-KX5 ... 43d292a976

They just turned up last night and are an exact match apart from the bottom pipe on the L/H side bends up rather than straight out (Should be an easy adaption cutting the hose shorter).

I've got photos but can't figure out how to post them here.......
dingerjunkie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dingerjunkie »

To post the pics, you need to put them up at a storage site like MediaFire or photobucket. Once your pics are up there you can get a "share URL" from their sites for each pic. Put that inside the "Img" tag available when you post a reply here.

I'd be very interested to see the result.
...your theater is on...
mattyhylander

Post by mattyhylander »

dingerjunkie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Radiator Source

Post by dingerjunkie »

What I find curious looking at your pics is that they seem the reverse of what I've read/seen online regarding availability. Supposedly, the left-side (non-fill) matches other bikes, but the right/fill-side is unique to the KDX250 and unavailable. Do all of the mounting tabs for the frame/shrouds match up properly on the right side? Let me know how the fit to the bike itself goes.
...your theater is on...
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I don"t even see shroud mounts on it?? :hmm:
mattyhylander

Radiator Source

Post by mattyhylander »

There are shroud mounts there in the exact spot but they use nutserts rather than the thread clip. The radiator is about 5mm thicker too. Holding against the frame everything appears to line up fairly well. I will need to shim out one mount about 5mm to keep the rad off the frame....... Pics will be about a month away as its all at the powdercoat shop :cool:
dingerjunkie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Radiator Source

Post by dingerjunkie »

I finally have an update for you all on this.

Winner finally got me the replacement radiator pair. Apparently, my shipment to them got caught up in customs for a few weeks.

They look perfect upon unpacking:
  • All grommets fit
  • all mount points line up the same
  • weight is so close as to be insignificant given the tank of a bike these are going on
  • brace built across radiator...nice, since braces are not available for this bike
  • original guard/louvers fit on perfectly
The only negative I've seen is that the mounting areas are significantly thicker, meaning that the "fast nuts" cannot be used. Since I have plenty of nylock nuts, and every point where fast-nuts were used is easily accessible from both sides, this is really not much of an issue for me.

Price for a complete pair, shipped, is expected to be about $155. I'll post pictures of the radiator pair mounted later today.
Last edited by dingerjunkie on 09:58 am Apr 03 2015, edited 2 times in total.
...your theater is on...
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Wow. Neat. Thanks for sharing and going to the trouble.
dingerjunkie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Radiator Source

Post by dingerjunkie »

...so close...

The fill-side radiator, which I had sent them a crushed model to measure from, is absolutely perfect, as can be seen from these pics. Fits and looks better than the stocker in my opinion...

However, the left-side, which is listed as a match for the KDX250D, does NOT fit. Two issues here. First, the overall length is short, as can be seen from this first pic of the side.

Second, if the outer tabs were bolted down, the inner/mid tab would be more than 1/4" away from the mounting point, as can be seen here. The radiator looks straight when the upper and middle brackets are put in place, but the left-side seems "splayed out" at the bottom when both outer tabs are put against their frame brackets. The hole on the inner/mid tab is roughly "half a bolt diameter" high, for lack of a better way to measure (couldn't get a good picture of that).

I think that everything would work if the bottom tab were longer and moved out and the mid-tab were dropped a bit. The left (non-fill) side was supposed to be interchangeable with the 1989 KX250. Partzilla.com also shows that it should be the same left-side unit that is on the KDX200-E series (1989-1994). Perhaps their reference info used by Winner was off.

I'm forwarding Winner a link to this thread in hopes that we can arrange a replacement for the left-side as quickly as possible. I am extremely happy with the quality of their product and the level of their feedback on making the fill-side prototype. Regardless of the fit issue, the quality of the build on the left-side is impressive as well.
...your theater is on...
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Dang. That sucks. :oops:
dingerjunkie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Radiator Source

Post by dingerjunkie »

Very good news...

Winner Racing has already made contact. It seems their measurement sets/specs for the left-side unit were off. Yes they were building what they thought was the correct left-side, but it looks like there parts specs weren't what was intended. I'm sending them pics of the differences between a stock unit and their hand-built so they can revise their build template.

Honestly, the fact that they followed up in such a great manner makes me a fan. I'll let you know what the final resolution is, but I'm sure it will end with my endorsement of them as a company given the interaction so far.
...your theater is on...
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

That does NOT suck. :mrgreen:

Good job to them!
dingerjunkie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Radiator Source

Post by dingerjunkie »

Replacement left-side radiator has arrived after clearing customs. Winner had fabricated and shipped the replacement based on comparison photos I had sent along within three days of contact.

Fit was a little snug (almost too long) between the top and bottom brackets, but everything bolted up just as it should. No pics now (don't have time on a break), but there's really nothing to show. The fit and finish is just a good as the fill-side I've already posted.

Thanks to the gentlemen at Winner for their interaction and effort. I would strongly recommend their company and their products.
...your theater is on...
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Wow! Great job!
mattyhylander

Radiator Source

Post by mattyhylander »

Finally got mine up - Pics of the $99 ebay radiators and the build

Sorry I didn't get as many good pics as the above posts! These were $99 eBay ones for a KX500.
The fit was spot on for the top and bottom mounts, and radiator shrouds - The center mount was a little off however.
The non filler side bottom hose does not come out dead straight so I had to mod the hose slightly to suit. But have had it filled and running since!

Last edited by mattyhylander on 06:46 pm May 06 2015, edited 1 time in total.
dingerjunkie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dingerjunkie »

...links not working...
...your theater is on...